New reading material- "Six Years with the Texas Rangers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New reading material- "Six Years with the Texas Rangers"

Member #
    Liked
    1976 times

New reading material- "Six Years with the Texas Rangers"

I had read about 1/2 of this book when we stayed at a ranch in South Texas about 20 years ago but had never tracked down a copy of my own. Picked this up the other day when perusing Larry McMurtry's book store in Archer City. 1st edition from 1921, even has the wax pages over the photographs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chaffee, dante, Ugly and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    I read a paperback version years ago, and still have it. Your vintage edition is really nice.

Dave

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9938 times
    Good book. I have the paperback version too.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8604 times
    This book is often offered free in an ebook from the Amazon Top 100 free books section, usually under history and biography.....

https://www.amazon.com/Six-Years-Tex...16HCNHNJNYC73F
    Agarbers and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4141 times
    That book "Six Years In the Texas Rangers" is on my "Book Hunt" list it has real good reviews you snagged a very nice copy a first edition 1921! wow! I never heard of that book store before I bet it is chock full of great old west books. Is the Author/Owner Mr McMurtry ever around there?

https://www.bookedupac.com/

"Booked Up" looks great sure would like to stop in there some day!

Right now my truck coffee shop book is "The Texas Rangers In The Mexican Revolution 1910- 20" Danged if the authors did not dig up a lot of little known info about the Rangers (and all parties concerned) in that era. Its darn good!

Last edited by Ugly; 01-31-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    ColtsDad and Chaffee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1976 times
    I am able to go by frequently. I have seen home there about half the time. Usually he is at a desk and there is a sign asking people for no autograph requests or anything. I encountered him once in book shelves and hes and spoke to him.
    Ugly likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    807 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    That book "Six Years In the Texas Rangers" is on my "Book Hunt" list it has real good reviews you snagged a very nice copy a first edition 1921! wow! I never heard of that book store before I bet it is chock full of great old west books. Is the Author/Owner Mr McMurtry ever around there?

https://www.bookedupac.com/

"Booked Up" looks great sure would like to stop in there some day!

Right now my truck coffee shop book is "The Texas Rangers In The Mexican Revolution 1910- 20" Danged if the authors did not dig up a lot of little known info about the Rangers (and all parties concerned) in that era. Its darn good!

Might take a sharp eye to see it -- any notable information within, about the gunleather of Rangers et al during that period? The O.P.'s era is far too early to be relevant (though they of course had gunleather, it was the simplistic Mexican Loop for the Cavalry barrel lengths, that was replaced by the Brill during the era covered in yours, with the short barrels).
    LEO918 likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    Wow, didn't know Larry McMurtry had his own shop! I need to go by there.

To this day, Lonesome Dove is my favorite book.

Member #
    Liked
    4141 times
    Red- there is not a lot of info in the book about the gun leather of the Rangers, the photos are good some rare but most are a bit blurry. The holsters seems to be a mix of the older type along with what looks to my untrained eye to be Brill type holsters- high ride, skin tight, no hammer thong. There is this- Pg. 21 about holsters.

***"Rangers used what has been called a 'scout belt'. A six inch wide strip of supple leather was doubled, So the slot could serve as a money belt and hold a small screwdriver the tighten the screws on weapons. Around the outside of the belt were two rows of loops for pistol cartridges and one for rifle shells. The men also had two types of pistol holsters one for use with the scout belt having a thong to hook over the hammer to keep from losing the pistol when riding over rough country, and the other holster for wearing in town and for evening wear."***

The book is dense, packed with detailed information- to the point of giving me a painful from thinking headache, not hard to do most anytime lol. I've been hitting it for weeks now and not done. Its "The Wild Bunch" in spades for real with a helluva cast of characters- recommended highly for those interested in the Rangers and the Mexican revolution.

And now back to "Six Years In The Texas Rangers"! sorry for the digression!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-texas-rangers

https://www.texasranger.org/texas-ra...mes-b-gillett/

***"In 1921, Gillett wrote and published his memoirs, Six years with the Texas Rangers. It has remained in print ever since. The book was condensed into a textbook in 1928 and was used in public schools for many years in at least seventeen states. James B. Gillett died of heart failure on June 11, 1937. He was buried in the Marfa cemetery."***
    Last edited by Ugly; 01-31-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    rednichols and socalmarine like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1976 times
    There is a lot of info in the Frank Hammer book on that time period as well.
    Ugly likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links