• 2 Post By turnerriver
  • 1 Post By rednichols
  • 2 Post By victorio1sw

Thread: SD Myres holster

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

SD Myres holster

Got this today. Removed the hammer loop and treated it with a little Black Rock. Any idea of the age?
    Last edited by Steve61; 02-05-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Look for a reply from rednichols. He wrote a book that includes the S. D. Myres and his products. Of course, S. D. Myres was originally in Sweetwater, TX 1893-1920, and then moved to El Paso. Pictured here is my currently-owned S. D. Myres holster. Notice that it reads "El Paso, Tex." The maker's stamp variety may determine the age.

See also the Obit that I found on Sam D. Myres in post #3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 02-05-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    Steve61 and LEO918 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    I found an obit for "Tio" Sam D. Myres in the July 3, 1953 El Paso Times, as attached. I had to do quite a bit of photo editing work to improve the readability, as many of you who do research know very well! Lots of interesting background on Myres is covered. Sam Myres was born in Cleburne, TX on Nov 22, 1871.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; Today at 03:35 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1134 times
    Red will no doubt be along but itís hard to accurately date Myres holsters. Itís been thought that the stamp without TEX is a newer stamp, I have Ranger style holsters like yours with the no TEX stamp on the front and a stamp with TEX on the back of the pouch so that doesnít really help with dating. The Ranger model holster was listed in the Myres catalogs I have running from the early 1930ís up into the late 1970ís. Victorio, Iíll do a little research on your example when I return from traveling next week, the obviously different construction may well be limited to a shorter catalog time frame. Thanks for posting Myresí obituary.
    Regards,
    turnerriver
    Last edited by turnerriver; Yesterday at 06:07 AM. Reason: Add photo
    LEO918 and chad45 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    777 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    I found an obit for "Tio" Sam D. Myres, as attached. I had to do quite a bit of photo editing work to improve the readability, as many of you who do research know very well! Lots of interesting background on Myres is covered. Sam Myres was born in Cleburne, TX on Nov 22, 1871.
    I'd very much like to know -- which newspaper is this? Thanks in advance.

It seems a very good bio until one realizes that his first wife, Druza Myres, did not predecease him as stated. Instead she died in 1958; so the newspaper is thinking of his much younger second wife, the woman he left Druza for named Teresa (called Tess), who died 1928 while undergoing withdrawal from her heroin addiction after being arrested for possession (she had LOTS).

1928 eva heroin (1).jpg
    Last edited by rednichols; Today at 12:48 PM.
    victorio1sw likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    777 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerriver View Post
    Red will no doubt be along but itís hard to accurately date Myres holsters. Itís been thought that the stamp without TEX is a newer stamp, I have Ranger style holsters like yours with the no TEX stamp on the front and a stamp with TEX on the back of the pouch so that doesnít really help with dating. The Ranger model holster was listed in the Myres catalogs I have running from the early 1930ís up into the late 1970ís. Victorio, Iíll do a little research on your example when I return from traveling next week, the obviously different construction may well be limited to a shorter catalog time frame. Thanks for posting Myresí obituary.
    Regards,
    turnerriver
    Well, that is not completely correct. True that Myres offered a type of jockstrap holster that looked like this one in the 1920s and 1930s, according to the company's catalogs:

1925 el paso myres (2).PNG

But the one that looks like the O.P.'s doesn't appear until close to 1940:

1938 myres jpgs (4).jpg

From a designer/builder's point of view, these are not the same holster; they are only similar and are plainly distinguished from each other. In another post on another forum,the O.P. has displayed an image of the 999 marking and that marking has been effected with pencil vs a pen; so his is before Webb's time (and his ballpoint pen, which did not yet exist when the O.P.'s holster was made) that began 1965.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    I'd very much like to know -- which newspaper is this? Thanks in advance.

It seems a very good bio until one realizes that his first wife, Druza Myres, did not predecease him as stated. Instead she died in 1958; so the newspaper is thinking of his much younger second wife, the woman he left Druza for named Teresa (called Tess), who died 1928 while undergoing withdrawal from her heroin addiction after being arrested for possession (she had LOTS).

1928 eva heroin (1).jpg
    Red, I normally include the newspaper name and date in the filename and at the top of the clipping itself. This time I got in a hurry and did neither! So that clipping has been updated as now displayed. I can PM you a larger copy if desired.
    Kerz and rednichols like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Also found this picture of Sam D. Myres, and his tombstone, as attached here. In the picture, Myres appears to be holding a takedown Win M1894 Rifle.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; Today at 04:25 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    777 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Also found this picture of Sam D. Myres, and his tombstone, as attached here. In the picture, Myres appears to be holding a takedown Win M1894 Rifle.
    As with Tom Threepersons' tombstone, Sam Myres' tombstone has his birth year incorrect :-). Look at your newspaper clipping, which according to all references including his death certificate is correct -- 1871. Tom's says he was 10 years younger than all his death certificate states! But then he was buried by his third wife, Rose, so who knows what happened there. And Sam's wife Druza has her first name misspelled on her tombstone, as Gruza.

These kinds of 'absolute truths' have taught me to keep looking until I get corroboration; or to make sure I'm not 'deducing and deducing incorrectly' from the context reported around a fact, in a story. What comes to mind is that tale of what a scout belt is, and what a Sunday holster is; because the context of Sterling's book suggests it is earlier than the 1907 date that we absolutely know is correct about the Sunday holster (which was not worn on a scout belt; that was reserved for the trail holster as ammo belts were not permitted in Texas cities -- over 100 years ago!).
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Sponsored Links