An Ojala-era idea that appeals to me :-).
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Wyatt Burp
  • 1 Post By Buckspen
  • 1 Post By Buckspen
  • 2 Post By chad45
  • 1 Post By 1stcav

Thread: An Ojala-era idea that appeals to me :-).

Member #
    Liked
    781 times

An Ojala-era idea that appeals to me :-).

I have lots of images that I collect as I both learn and teach about vintage gunleather of the 20th century. And it strikes me that:

0080 belt (5).jpg

in this marking spot, every number I have has an '8' in the last two digits. Ojala, Anderson, Ojala by Anderson (and I've none of Alfonso's).

Yes, in the instant case the separate pair of numbers is the waist size. This 4-number that indicates '0080' -- I have an Ojala with just '80' there and another with '0888'; three Andersons stamped '0080', '5480', and '86308'. Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three is a pattern -- I have five.

I'd be pleased if forum members who own such sets would post up images of their numbers, which here c/b serial numbers, or order numbers, certainly not years. Think of it as a contribution to the research that could someday yield a sequel to 'Holstory - Gunleather of the 20th Century'.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    12973 times
    I have three Ojalas now but two I made belts for. I sold the original Buntline (pictured in Holstery) to Cam the Coltsguy on this forum. My 1985 black 7 1/2" lefty here is all original and has no numerical numbers whatsover but does have the Ojala Hollywood stamp (not No. Hollywood). It's total black looking like they dunked it in dye. I made the belt on the brown one so not original there. Little "Ojala" for my lefty son 30 years ago. Another black rig with homemade belt not pictured.

Jim Sharp and rednichols like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2863 times
    Red - I have a left hand rig which is stamped as in the attached photo. The size is probably the "41" number as the belt measures about 42 1/2 inches from the center of the buckle to the middle hole in the tongue. I can't really make out what the character is after the "41". Might be an "E" or an "H" or something else. This is a .45 rig and it also has the detachable buckle that Wyatt B. told me is kind of an uncommon thing. It has the oval "NO. Hollywood, CAL." on the belt and the Colt/Ojala oval on the holster.
    - Bruce
    ojalaleft1.JPGojalaleft12.JPGojalaleft6.JPG
    rednichols likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2863 times
    As you know, I also have a double .22 rig with the Colt/Ojala markings. The ONLY markings on the belt are "L 22" under the tongue. There is no Ojala marking on the belt at all, inside or out. It is suede lined which may be why it is not marked inside. The holsters also have suede backing and have the oval Colt/Ojala marking (see previous message) on the inner surface which is not covered with suede.
    - Bruce
    ojala22a.JPG
    rednichols likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    As you know, I also have a double .22 rig with the Colt/Ojala markings. The ONLY markings on the belt are "L 22" under the tongue. There is no Ojala marking on the belt at all, inside or out. It is suede lined which may be why it is not marked inside. The holsters also have suede backing and have the oval Colt/Ojala marking (see previous message) on the inner surface which is not covered with suede.
    - Bruce
    ojala22a.JPG
    In your prior post that letter is an 'H'. Since my prior writing of my reply I've located a total of 20 images of Arvo, Andy and Alfonso belts; and a very clear 'H' commonly appears next to the waist size. And other letters too, including a 'C'.

Your prior post's number also includes an '8' but among the 20 numbers I've found they don't all have an '8' in the last two digits. So false alarm. Sorry! Strictly a random thing it seems. An Arvo brochure circa 1963 indicates that the sets have registered serial numbers so I expect that's what these are. And of course all three makers worked together, so shared the practice as 'thats how we do it'.

The suede-lined holsters and belt only appear on the Colt's; but don't appear on all the Colt's. One image (see below) shows me that it's quite thick and I expect that it is a split; and if so would add the bulk without the cost. Using a full grain leather on both sides, as we did at Bianchi, makes for a huge increase in cost not least because, if using shoulders, the cutting economy is in the toilet. Another matter when using sides but still . . .. Because we see the Colt's both ways -- lined with splits and lined with full grain -- I expect that Arvo discovered he was losing his shirt after signing the contract and made a change to reduce costs, with or without Colt's agreement (they didn't like him, nor did Daisy, nor did Andy, nor did Alfonso). Poor guy, all the labor remained intact even with a cheaper lining; die cutting, gluing, laminating, machine stitching, edge finishing, the metal insert, the molding (I'm told they used a glass Coke bottle), assembling/sanding/polishing the welt, the coloring and finishing of the leather. OMG. Just cutting and tucking all the threads is a chore that isn't to be underestimated.

That amount of sewing when the machine itself, a Campbell or the like, moves as relatively slowly as a steam train pulling into a station. Clank, clank, clank; whereas the machines we use today (those of us in the 21st century) can whiz along a long belt with ease.

suede colt (16).jpg
    Last edited by rednichols; Yesterday at 01:25 AM.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    982 times
    From my own Arvo Ojala belt
    chad45
    rednichols and Kerz like this.

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Red, I have an Ojala rig that was patent pending, here are the pics. 20180125_143730.jpg20180125_143750.jpg20180125_143809.jpg20180125_143817.jpg
    rednichols likes this.
    For those who fought for it- Life has a flavor the protected will never know

Member #
    Liked
    781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chad45 View Post
    From my own Arvo Ojala belt
    chad45
    Beautifully made :-). You know that the "Hollywood" stamp, without the "No" which has been ground off (but notice that the period in "No." is still there) is when Arvo shifted from North Hollywood to Hollywood early 1960s. He used that mark forever more even on those, it seems, made in both WA and OR including a handsome set he presented to Reagan in the late 1980s.

Anyway, you know that sound used in films to note discord: a record player arm snatched off a vinyl record? A metaphorical version of that occured when I spotted this:

Holster Arvo Ojala 45cal (4) - Colt.JPG the welt's stitching has been stopped well before the end of the holster; as the spot marked 1 instead of at the spot marked 2.

For comparison here is the version we made at Bianchi, equally well but with the sewing ending where I reckon it's meant to; at the spot marked 2:

1890 (1).jpg

The way yours is done causes no harm; it's just not something that would ordinarily be done on purpose.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    I have three Ojalas now but two I made belts for. I sold the original Buntline (pictured in Holstery) to Cam the Coltsguy on this forum. My 1985 black 7 1/2" lefty here is all original and has no numerical numbers whatsover but does have the Ojala Hollywood stamp (not No. Hollywood). It's total black looking like they dunked it in dye. I made the belt on the brown one so not original there. Little "Ojala" for my lefty son 30 years ago. Another black rig with homemade belt not pictured.

We talked about this once; the straight across mouth of the holster, at the hammer, is the original setup; the version that is lowered near the hammer is a few years later; done by Andy and I have the year stashed away somewhere. There's a lot to know about these sets and I'm not sure that any or all of it is worth knowing unless one were looking for counterfeits.

The maker's mark tells us a lot, too. Name only, made by Bohlin before the patent was filed. Patent pending, after the patent was filed and before it issued. Patented, after it issued. "No" ground off, later still. Arvo did produce sets that erroneously (in my view) put the patent pending and patented marking on the belt, too; yet I've spotted plenty where he got it 'right' and only put the patent info on the holster itself. A brochure put out by Dale Myres, who in reality was Sam Myres' namesake son Samuel Dale Myres Jr. aka Ted (!), indicates that Myres and Arvo had discussion about who thought of that belt first. There is no doubt that Arvo was not first despite the two belts being cut VERY differently; and irrelevant because it was not part of the patent claims anyway.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    12973 times
    On Ojalas I like the older style holster that is straight across in front and not lower in front of the hammer. Except for canted holsters like his angled 25 degree version. I once made a slightly canted holster but did not lower the leather in front and regretted it ever since. Here it is with a nickel Colt on the belt before I found a black lefty Ojala for it (bottom pic on left). Then made a high riding belt for this holster.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links