Colt Forum banner

? Early Colt 1911- Shoulder Holsters? Circa 1911- 1921?

8K views 44 replies 7 participants last post by  Cozmo 
#1 ·
Any one have any information on very early 1911 shoulder holsters? say from 1911 until 1921?

Any input or direction on where to look for info and photos appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
At that time, the military didn't have one, but commercial holsters came to be - they were largely the 'pouch' type - often with a horizontal supporting strap across the chest, and as time went on, a spring retention style would emerge, again with the horizontal strap (which worked well enough because most men wore a vest, and that hid it).

'Heiser' made some, but later than your time frame, the 'A.E. Nelson' type is what's seen on 'The Untouchables', and that would be a common style, as would the 'spring clip' type made by 'Clark' and 'Bucheimer-Clark' - but those came later.

What are you looking for?

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Just loking for information on what types of 1911 shoulder holsters were used in the Mexican revolution era- if any. Been on a Mexican Revolution bender since I got the book "Texas Rangers In the Mexican Revolution"

It is a full of gun lore book (much more than the usual academic type book anyway) with Lugers, 1911's automatic shotguns etc

#6 ·
I've acquired a copy, too; largely for the list of Texas Rangers that is in the back of it :).

Let's back up. If you're interested in the Texas Rangers and the 1911, be aware that they used the Colt SAA in 7-1/2" after 1873 and until the turn of the century; at that precise moment they switched to the 4-3/4" barrel in the same pistol. It was not until 1929 that there was any compelling reason to trust the unknowns that the auto represented for them; and that reason was the .38 Super. And the reason for the .38 Super was automobiles and their thick steel bodies and frames: it was a small-bore high-speed jacketed bullet vs. the big, slow lead bullets of the .44 and .45 and it was General Julian Hatcher who touted it for gunfighting.

That didn't last long with the appearance of the .357 Magnum. Rangers and the new FBI agents switched immediately, the latter having only appeared that very same year: 1935. Famed Ranger Hamer had a .38 Super when he went after Bonnie and Clyde because he and Rangers like Doc White were a big part of the war on crime after Prohibition ended; White was an FBI agent by then.

Did the Rangers use the 1911 in .45? Perhaps but unlikely given the conditions in Texas. There were few of these men actually on the ground and they needed not only ammo interchangeability -- it was free to them -- but reliability when they were working alone. William Shelton of Shelton-Payne Arms came up with a belt holster with a feature inside it that kept the magazine button from being pressed while holstered; now imagine a Ranger with his magazine ejected back on the trail somewhere. They stuck with their revolvers.

So for Rangers and the 1911 you're looking for the 1930s. And everyone made shoulder holsters for them then and thereafter. Here is a Heiser for example:

Text Paper Paper product
Visual arts Design Pattern Art Motif

The Heiser sons shifted into gunleather shortly after Hermann died in 1904; the earliest appearances are in their 1909 catalog. The leftmost holsters in the catalog image appeared by 1911 and perhaps it was made for the big auto by the time the rightmost holster appeared in 1923. In any case you can be assured that there were shoulder holsters for the Rangers and their .38 Supers if they were permitted to use either/both.

The Rangers' had a specified holster called, generally, the Brill, which was a belt holster; and I couldn't say if they were ever permitted to carry any other way :).

#4 ·
Basically none. I have an extensive library and collection dealing with that conflict, and in all the photos I've looked at, there are no shoulder holsters visible, whereas there are hundreds of cartridge belts and holsters with all manner of revolvers in them.

The shoulder holster seen in 'The Wild Bunch' is a WWII-issued M3, and it's muddied the waters for many C&WAS guys who use the 'John Ford Reference Library' as historically-accurate gospel, but at that time, there was nothing like that in issue.

That said, during the era, there were shoulder holsters made - pouch-type and 'Half-Breed' - but none for autos - and those 'seemed' to be worn in the colder Northern Plains, more than anything.

#5 · (Edited)
Yep, I think you are right- never have seen a early 1911-21 year, Colt 1911 shoulder holster either.

I surfed around on the web a lot (fun to do that) looking at photos of the Mexican Revolution- saw leather for Luger's, C-96's, Colt 1905's, the venerable 1911 and so on but no shoulder holsters- for any automatics.

There are thousands of photos of the revolution, really interesting stuff- fascinating for any late era 'old west' buff.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks Red!-

You will see when you dig into the book that in the 1912- 21 era the Rangers on the border did use the 1911 in .45 a considerable bit. I was surprised at that. In one of the first chapters of the book in the same area where they talk about the "Scout belt", there is a para. talking about how one supply officer wanted to equip the entire Ranger force with the Colt 1911- (I can't quote it now as I left the book in my truck ) of course many of the Rangers stuck with the SAA. But some saw the deadly effectiveness of the gun and converted early.

Here is the quote- book was in my car, not truck- CRS again. Pg 21, last 2 paragraphs.

"Rangers adapted the Colt revolver which they helped design, but there was certainly room for individuality- Capt Frank Johnson had as a back up to his six shooter a Colt 32 automatic, while Capt John Brooks favored a Luger. In 1910 a member of Company C requested that the quartermaster ask the Colt company the price of a 16 gauge automatic shotgun with the shortest barrel you make- he wants it for night work and close range. Two years later Ranger Paul McAlister was using a Colt .45 automatic. And by 1913, The assistant quarter master general was "Recommending strongly to all Texas Rangers that they arm themselves with the new Government Model Colt Automatic Caliber .45"

They used them quite a bit, the good the bad and the ugly got shot. lol

Did you read the part about the Mongolian Ranger force they thought about standing up?- damn strange! What a helluva story that would have been!

I got a ratty copy of the book used from the NYC public library- its even more ratty now as I dog eared it and underlined it in pencil. lol

And I'm still working on it. Enough material in there for 1000 western movies damn sure.

#8 · (Edited)
Very good, I'm still learning, too; the Old West is a relatively new topic for me.

The Frontier Battalion under McNelly was formed in 1874 and I've many images of that era, in which all are the long-barreled Army model. This one is marked 1894 and the circled chap is Capt. Hughes, 'father' of the Brill early in the 20th:

Music Poster Team Album cover Crew

Thereafter, early 20th century images show the shortest barrel and among mine I have only one with a 1911 in it. This one is held out to be 1910; which of course it's not given there is a 1911 in it :). Many Rangers images are incorrectly dated on the web and so we amateur researchers do struggle:

Blue-collar worker Team Crew History

These men are 'on the trail' so are wearing scout belts filled with ammunition; not worn in cities when the change was to the Sunday holster and its trousers belt:

Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments Musician Banjo guitar
This image is often found incorrectly dated; it is Kiowa Jones and likely close to his death with that rifle in 1928 when he was 51 y/o.

So on an odds basis, we can be relatively confident that the .45 ACP wasn't used in a significant way by Rangers until Prohibition, gangsters, automobiles, and the .38 Super all came together in 1929. But I'm happy to have it proven (one way or the other) otherwise so I keep my research accurate :).

Later Rangers, such as Lone Wolf Gonzaullas here, certainly used the 1911:

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Classic

#9 · (Edited)
Geeze Ugly you were being awful genteel :)

we can be relatively confident that the .45 ACP wasn't used in a significant way by Rangers until Prohibition (which started in 1920 and ended in 1933)
A simple search of photos of the day would prove other wise. Although you are looking at best only 8 years time between 1912 and 1920. There were only one thousand, nine hundred of Colt's 1911 available in 1912. None in 1911. But a occasional 1903 can also be found in a Ranger's holster. By 1917 and the end of the Pershing Expedition (1916 to 1917) the 1911 had already made a name for itself as an reliable and effective handgun as had the Colt 1902 prior. Three full years before the beginning of Prohibition and nothing to do with the 38 Super. Easy to not fully appreciate just how fast guns changed and what was used around the turn of the Century.

There are just too many vintage photos of Texas Rangers on the Internet to make any assumption as to what "every" Ranger used. And there is a wealth of written material to back up what you can easily see. Likely best we don't try to rewrite history.

And by 1913, The assistant quarter master general was "Recommending strongly to all Texas Rangers that they arm themselves with the new Government Model Colt Automatic Caliber .45"

They used them quite a bit, the good the bad and the ugly got shot.
That pretty much tells you what the Rangers (and most who used a handgun as intended in the time frame) thought of the 1911.

A good many of Pershing's 1911s went AWOL as well (by 1917). In fact one went to my ancestors early on. I think you'd be more accurate saying the 1911 was in fairly common usage in the Border Country by 1917. The introduction of the 38 Super was more than a decade after that in 1929. 7.5" Colt in .45 was the only thing easily available in 1874. The SAA was used in every barrel length as they came out of Colt by the Rangers. In July of 1874 the State of Texas issued 7.5" 45s and an old single shot Sharps carbine. Later that year Capt King of the King Ranch gave a few Rangers new '73 carbines for their efforts. Many Rangers bought their own guns, including the newest 44-40 Colts as soon as they were available. That in turn didn't work out so well initially. Most would buy a '73 Winchester as soon as they were financially able. A lot of money..a full month's wages for a Ranger at the time.

The newest Winchesters, '76, '86, '95, '94 and '95 were adopted just as fast as they hit the civilian market. But many kept the old '73 running for a good bit because they were simply more reliable than the later '92. Handguns? Just the same although the Colt SAA was tired and trusty tool. Every new firearm that could had was tried by Rangers in the field.

Early Rangers after 1977 and likely prior to 1886. Not the Colt 1878 dbl action tucked into the left Ranger's gun belt.

Company D Texas Rangers in 1886. Not the 1876 Deluxe Sporting Winchester and the wealth of '73 carbines. It wasn't long after this photo that '86 Winchesters started showing up in Ranger's hands.

I have a written interview with a Ranger from his work in the late 1800s. His guns of choice was a 45 Colt 7.5" and a 1886 Winchester 45-90 rifle. Both he own guns he brought in as a Ranger. The old Ranger made a point of saying the Colt would shoot darn near as far as his rifle. He also spent his entire Ranger career horse back on the border. That pair of guns made sense to him in the 1890s. Depending on what your Ranger job was and what you owned for a rifle, would likely make a big difference on what you carried for size and caliber in a Colt early on. 1873 to 1920 was a very short amount of time. Guns, the threats and tactics changed more rapidly than we can imagine. The smart ones on both sides of the law adapted quickly.

#10 · (Edited)

Here is a photo of Ranger Capt Monroe Fox with a 1911 in a western style holster- it seems to be a picture from after a raid on a ranch in Texas where the National Guard and Ranchers stood off a large force of bandits- circa 1915- not sure will investigate, if it is the action I'm thinking of the Rangers missed the fire fight and showed up just after the smoke cleared. Yes- its the aftermath of the Norias ranch battle Aug 8th 1915. But it was not the National Guard its was Troop C 12th Cavalry Corporal Alan Mercer and seven privates, along with ranch staff did the fighting. On Pg 241 of "Texas Rangers in the Mexican Revolution"- there is a photo (below) of the Troop C fighters four of the six pictured GI's, seem to have holstered 1911's in early pattern Government issue holsters.

"awful genteel" lol wat? well maybe awful :) Coz, you would like that book, the authors dug into every damn thing on the border that involved the Rangers, including various skulduggery and gun play incidents that make "The Wild Bunch" look like Mr Rodgers. I was surprised to see some of the info on the early use of old slab sides there was a lot more than I thought, a fun as hell read. One reason it seems the Rangers liked it (1911) was they could sometimes get ammo for it from the army- they also got .30 .40 Krag ammo from the army for their Winchester 95's. Rangers were on a shoe string budget- that's one reason why many men did not stay long- drifted in and out of the service etc. The book tells the story (1910-1920) in depth warts and all.

#17 ·
Do be careful of Charie's writings. I knew him personally, and I've also been through many of his writings; his stories about Tom Threepersons are actually false -- misunderstandings he acquired despite having competed alongside Tom in pistol matches, from Tom's scrapbook. Which scrapbook (I have a complete copy of it) is filled with clippings of stories invented by Tom's moneymaker, Eugene Cunningham.

Here's what Ed McGivern thought of him:

". . . actual timing not rough guessing like young Askins tries to put it over -- he knows less than nothing about speed and fast draws and other quick draw performances; only what he has heard from others . . . If B.S. was music some of those fellows would have quite an orchestra program. Askins would be delighted to be named in a discussion with me for the publicity his name would get in connection with mine, but I'll never permit anything like that to get into print. I have a loyal friend who knows Askins very well so --". (from a 1956 letter to his benefactor Walter Groff; Ed died the following year).

Also do be careful of dating on Texas Rangers images. The one of Kiowa Jones appears on the net with many dates; which one is right? Personally from what I know of Jones' birth and death dates (good luck trying to find those!) and the history of the Brill he is wearing, all those dates are unlikely.

But on that topic, the Texas Rangers museum holds some/many (dunno) of Captain Gonzaullas images that are credible because he took them himself; credible because of the Brownie camera introduce in 1900 for one dollar :). This image of Doc White and fellow Ranger Brown, can be verified for date by knowing that Brown had joined late the prior year; notice the short revolvers, one in a Threepersons on Brown who is at right, and another in a King Ranch on White who is at left (some Rangers books get them reversed and are incorrect!); and is one of Lone Wolf's:

Photograph Stock photography Photography Tree Adaptation
Black-and-white Monochrome Hand Photography Stock photography

That image, one of two different images of the pair, is from the Texas Rangers museum directly; it was founded in part by Lone Wolf. We can readily recognize his images from the bit of typed text that he attached to the bottom of each one. Indeed history is being rewritten -- lots of it was deduced by folks who made assumptions from reading newspaper clippings -- the Jelly Bryce stories come to mind -- and they didn't deduce well in the face of adding more research to the mix (Jelly's famous 5 shots to the head of a gangster? The man was neither a gangster nor a crim; he was the lover of the woman whose room he had barged into).

Do have a look at the incorrect legend of Tom Threepersons that is in Wikipedia; then compare it with the truth about Tom in Holstory -- Gunleather of the 20th Century. Tom Threepersons wasn't even his name! But rather one he took from the Blood Indian of Alberta who won the 1912 Calgary Stampede, to join rodeos and then the Army; both in 1916. Yes, history is being rewritten -- correctly this time :).

#15 ·
Frank Hamer enlisted for the first time with the Texas Rangers on April 21, 1906. Hamer was 22 years old.

Here is a good read on Hamer and "crew" with some 2nd hand comments on what Hamer used for guns later in life.

https://firearmslawyer.net/blog/frank-hamer-and-his-guns/

"Ted Hinton had hit the car 17 out of 30 shots with his Thompson submachine gun and hadn’t penetrated the car body. Veteran Deputy Bob Alcorn had chugged away with his hefty Browning Automatic Rifle and ripped some respectable holes all the way through the car. Hinton called his Congressman, got a BAR from the government and a back seat full of ammunition, and learned how to shoot the roaring automatic rifle.” Gotta like Hinton's thought process :)

If a 45acp can't get it done out of a Thompson barrel, a 1911 aint got much of a chance :) Obviously no one driving Toyotas back then! "Cuz I have shot up a lot of modern cars with a 45acp. ball ammo" And no problem getting into the driver's seat from most angles. 30-06? Mo' better!

Anyone that has ever hunted men learns a few things quickly if you want to keep at it. Best weapon is between your ears and use the best guns you can get your hands on.

#16 · (Edited)
That's a great article on Hamer, Hamer's guns, & the shenanigans of the infamous dog ear puller LBJ. Another book to look at "Ambush"by Ted Hinton. I think the 38 super was hatched in 1929?

https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=25869977

Here's a link to a 1911 Colt that belonged to Ranger C.J. Blackwell. Sold for 2k back in 2016 He was a state Ranger 1915-25.

Charlie J Blackwell was a "Special Ranger" up until 1935. Well-looks like no use of a 1911 shoulder holster 1912-1921, just western rigs and in the belt Mexican carry.

#18 · (Edited)
Authors? Not a one I'd trust in print. All too often, "history" is simply one person's interpretation shaded by their own agenda or misunderstandings. Writing it down and then pontificating doesn't make it fact. Much to many an author's chagrin. Something often missed in the day of the Internet and self publishing. But certainly nothing new in the written word.

Kinda like the old saying.."I trust God, just not the guys that work for him." :)

A lot had been written long before our time about Tom Threepersons. One might want to read Jeff Cooper, Charlie Askins, Elmer Keith and Larry Wilson with a jaded eye as well. But it won't hurt anyone to read them all.

Back to the issue of shoulder holsters.

Anyone telling you that the 1911 wasn't used in a shoulder holster from day one is simply not using any common sense. Shoulder holsters were used for two main reasons. Concealed carry when guns were "not to be carried" in the open and because of the clothing required. One could add a third reason there as well...multiple guns.

Takes two minutes to realize a shoulder holster is the only way you'll carry a gun all bundled up like this and still be able to get at it.

Anyone that had use of a shoulder holster with a SAA prior to the 1911 being available likely had a shoulder holster that would work just fine for a 1911. Given the fact that a 1911 was a much better fighting tool than anything else easily available the 1911 was quickly adopted by those in need (and had access to a 1911) and then used as intended. I don't live on a horse but my GGF did much of his life. He traded for a stolen Army 1911 giving up a engraved SAA and some cash to have a better handgun. Takes 30 seconds on a horse to realize a 1911 is a lot better hand gun there. Easier to carry in any leather, (belt, shoulder or bag), easier to carry spare ammo, easier to reload, more ammo in the gun from the start and a heck of a lot more comfortable for the man that carries it.

Vintage style shoulder rigs for a 4 3/4" SAA. Both easily take a 4" N frame Smith or a 5" 1911 with ease.

Back to Ugly's original question. "Any one have any information on very early 1911 shoulder holsters? say from 1911 until 1921?'

We are all just guessing. But common sense would tell me, sure no problem..if required the 1911 got stuck away out of sight in a shoulder holster just like the SAA did prior. But when you get specific, looking at the Mexican Civil war and Texas Rangers? Not as likely because they didn't have the need of heavy clothing for the most part. And little need to ever conceal their guns. No need for secondary handgun if you have a rifle and a belt gun. As Clint Smith likes to say, " a hand gun is used to get to your rifle." True then and it is now. From the period photos of the Mexican Revolution looks to me like the Mexicans were a lot more concerned about their rifle ammo supply than a hand gun. But what should be clear for even a little effort is a 1911 can be stuck into most any old SAA leather and used adroitly enough with little fanfare.

One thing that might come to mind looking at these rigs and guns. How fast would a draw be? And isn't better to have a holster built specifically for the gun? Yes an specifically built. Draw speed? Outside of Hollyweird it means little typically. A smart man starts a fight gun in hand. I've heard if you live through your first, having a gun in hand becomes a rather natural thing to do.

#19 ·
Well, look, I agree with most everything you say. Certainly all of the tales until this century, about Tom, were false -- because Tom made his living that way! He was not actually Tom Threepersons at all; but it is true that a man using the name was a Texas lawman for 6-1/2 years and he did have a ranch in NM -- I even have it mapped from official records -- but the tales of him being the Indian who won the 1912 Stampede were born of what is known as 'identity theft' that was not uncommon at the turn of that century. In that endeavor he had the assistance of his second wife Lorene; and of both Eugene Cunningham, dime novelist and writer for El Paso Times; and Oren Arnold. All four of these folks made their living this way and the articles were published in USA, Canada, Britain and Australia that I know of. But one friend of Tom's interviewed by El Paso Times in 1982 said "I never knew him to work" so even the ranching part is unlikely. Instead he earned his living with endorsements from Boogers Reds' rodeo clothing and from Sam Myres gunleather, both of which he endorsed and whose advertising he appeared in; and from the interviews that Lorene (Tritthart) (Nichols) Threepersons gave to El Paso Times writers :). When the real Tom Three Persons discovered the ruse in a 1928 Cunningham article he vowed to sue; but Tom had already vamoosed from El Paso.

He really did wear the holster that he is known for, and it is in my collection with provenance from the widow of the man to whom Tom presented it in 1934 at a rodeo in AZ. He really did endorse Sam Myres "Tom Threepersons Style Holsters" in 1930.

Scabbard
the Colt is not in my collection; can't be done here in Oz. But his holster is.

Certainly you can be sure of my own research precisely because it was only done because the old legends and assumptions could not be trusted. First I went to the likes of Askins, my old boss Bianchi, and Skelton (also knew Skeeter) for their info and quickly discovered that, because by now we knew that there were TWO Tom Threepersons/ Three Persons and both were rodeo performers, I had to be sure which man had owned 'my' holster.

I encourage you, were you ever to acquire the book that Witty (turnerriver) and I wrote and produced and published, to read it without a jaundiced eye (there are fifty makers in it); and in the meantime to visit my website for the book and click on the link there that offers a complete list of all the resources relied on to create the holstory itself that presently is 2,600 line items of sources :).

Nice to chat with you about all this. Now on to further research the suggestion that two well-known police holster makers, E.E. Clark and Ed. Lewis, were founder and successor respectively. Won't be sure one way or the other until lots more facts align or don't; but we know enough about Ed Clark and his son Earl to be sure what the essential dates and other facts are.

#20 · (Edited)
Interesting! nice fit with the shoulder skeleton rig/ pouch rig and the 1911- makes sense (to much? lol) that the old timers would have done that- someone wrote here that a N frame three persons rig fits a 1911 pretty good, did not try that yet, but I will. - Probably anyone who had a revolver shoulder holster and got a hold of a 1911 would have tried it out with old slab sides- back in the day.

The old bandit Pike Bishop should have done that. Instead of using that hokey tanker holster.!

#26 ·
"Somewhere" was likely one of my posts here and elsewhere. The Brill, for example, is often pictured online with a 1911 in an N frame holster -- because the modern-day cowboys think it's right with a covered trigger!! But Brills were not made that way.

These two holsters, a brown and a black, are the actual same holsters with the two different pistols in them; even the safety strap is ideal for both.

Handgun holster Bicycle saddle
Handgun holster Scabbard Fashion accessory Leather
Gun Revolver Leather Handgun holster

It has long surprised me, having been a maker/builder for more than a half century, not that old makers didn't offer the one to fit both (why would they; the trigger w/b covered on the 1911); but that they went to the trouble to create a different style for each vs simply using the one pattern and cutting away the portion over the trigger for the 1911. The original Threepersons held the 1911 in just that manner but it was not taken from the same pattern:

Drawing Arm Font Design Visual arts
the Myres that is as-carried by Lone Wolf Gonzaullas.

Which reminds of a point worth considering: an image of Texas Rangers before 1901, when the Ranger Force was established, is instead of the Frontier Battalion; and prior to its formation in 1874 it was the State Police. So the Texas Rangers are entirely a 20th century phenomenon that has continued into the 21st. Many/most/all Frontier Battalion men were former Confederate soldiers; notably McNelly who was in charge of the Frontier Battalion from the beginning and was a Captain and the Aide-de-Camp to a Confederate General there in Texas.

Also, when we're attempting to work out a generalization about what the Rangers wore, when the Ranger Force was formed it was comprised of only 20 men total spread over the four companies and the border of Texas with Mexico. 20. In 1914 Hughes' men numbered his Sergeant and 9 privates so not even a dozen men in total. In 1919 a new law permitted Ranger companies to have 19 privates -- and still only 4 companies. We're not talking about a small army, we're considering quite a tiny number of men in Texas called Rangers prior to its joining the DPS in 1935.

#21 · (Edited)
Texas Rangers?

Many have seen these guns prior. A couple of 1911s that Texas Rangers did use. Their modification. Practical for some hands. A modification (pinning the grip safety) still used by a few that carry a 1911 in harms way today.

“Charlie” Miller's engraved Colt. Miller joined the Rangers in 1919 and retired in 1968, 49 years of service in various positions and Depts.

Captain E. G. Albers. Was born in 1923 and began his law enforcement career first in the Air Force as an MP and then in 1946 with Pampa Police Department. He entered the Department of Public Safety in 1949 as a Highway Patrolman stationed at Amarillo, Houston and Pampa. Capt. Albers was appointed in 1961 as a Texas Ranger stationed at Canyon, promoted to Sergeant in Midland in 1968, and promoted in 1969 to Captain of Ranger Company F in Waco.

#23 · (Edited)
#24 · (Edited)

I found this enlarged scan of a Texas Ranger packing a 1911 in a western rig circa 1915 thought I would post it up so folks can see it. Closest look at 1911 gun leather from that era that I have been able to find. Rangers name is tagged as Edwin Dubose.

Thought I would add this image of a old Leo with a 1911 in a western type holster- Its Luther Bishop of Oklahoma- we talked about him here on C.F. a while back, nor sure about the date probly early to mid 1920's.

#25 · (Edited)

...enlarged scan of a Texas Ranger packing a 1911 in a western rig circa 1915
Great photo and timing when you consider the 1911 wasn't actual available until 1912. Quick acceptance of the 1911. Same thing I have found in my own searches. By the look of his cartridge belt and the rifle butt stock I'd say he is leaning on a 1895 Winchester lever gun in 30 US or 30-06.

from another thread.

Before the 1911 there was the 1905. This one was carried by a marshal out Uvalde Texas in a rattle snake skin border rig.

#27 ·
Rangers have a long history doing what was required at the time in Texas. There have been several versions of the "Ranger" forces in Texas depending on the Political climate of the times. Better read on Wiki. And even that needs to fact checked.

"Over the years, the Texas Rangers have investigated crimes ranging from murder to political corruption, acted in riot control and as detectives, protected the governor of Texas, tracked down fugitives, and functioned as a paramilitary force at the service of both the Republic (1836–1845) and the state of Texas.
The Texas Rangers were unofficially created by Stephen F. Austin in a call-to-arms written in 1823 and were first headed by Captain Morris. After a decade, on August 10, 1835, Daniel Parker introduced a resolution to the Permanent Council creating a body of rangers to protect the Mexican border.[5] The unit was dissolved by the federal authorities during the post–Civil War Reconstruction Era, but was quickly reformed upon the reinstitution of home government. Since 1935, the organization has been a division of the Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS); it fulfills the role of Texas' state bureau of investigation. As of 2019, there are 166 commissioned members of the Ranger force.[2]

The breakdown of law and order on the Mexican side of the border, coupled with the lack of federal military forces, meant the Rangers were once again called upon to restore and maintain law and order, by any necessary means, which again led to excesses. However, the situation necessitated the appointment of hundreds of new special Rangers by the state, which neglected to carefully screen aspiring members. The Rangers were responsible for several incidents, ending in the January 28, 1918 massacre of the male population[22] (15 Mexican men and boys ranging in age from 16 to 72 years) of the tiny community of Porvenir, Texas, on the Mexican border in western Presidio County. Before the decade was over, thousands of lives were lost, Texans and Mexicans alike. In January 1919, an investigation launched by Texas lawmaker JT Canales found that from 300 to 5,000 people, mostly of Hispanic descent, had been killed by Rangers from 1910 to 1919, and that members of the Rangers had been involved in many acts of brutality and injustice.[23] The Rangers were reformed by a resolution of the Legislature in 1919, which saw the special Ranger groups disbanded and a complaints system instituted. "

"The Great Depression forced both the federal and state governments to cut down on personnel and funding of their organizations, and the number of commissioned officers was reduced to 45, with the only means of transportation afforded to Rangers being free railroad passes or using their personal horses."

#30 · (Edited)
Well- from surfing the web and digging into the "Texas Rangers in the Mexican Revolution" looks like about four Rangers carried used the Colt 1911 Automatic starting circa 1915, that's a fair amount out of such a small organization. They were-

1.) Charles J. Backwell 1915-35 State and Special Ranger

2.) Edwin Dubose 1917-35 State and Special

3. James Monroe Fox 1911-35 State and Special

4.) Paul McAlister 1911-1916 State and Special

Looks like for sure the Texas Rangers were one of the first LE agencies- if not the first, to see the worth of the Colt 1911 .45 as a tool and took to it. All of the men listed had breaks in service and went from State to Special Ranger back and forth. Western holsters on 'scout' belts confirmed. Shoulder holsters not seen but hell that's the point right? Maybe maybe not- I think Cozmo is right they probly used some revolver shoulder holsters field expedient. Never know for sure.

#31 ·
If you've a pic of McAlister with a 1911 you can sure 'rule in' it being in .45 ACP :). The others -- pics are often not reliably dated unless by the photographer himself on the backside (I have a few of those).

Early on I made the mistake of 'assuming' this image of Rangers White and Hughes was of them during their Ranger service; but instead it turns out to have been taken on the occasion of the Rangers joining the DPS in 1935. That's a 20 year gap.

Photograph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.