New Holster Break in
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Holster Break in

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

New Holster Break in

Picked up a holster on GB for my SAA the other day, it was sold as new and it certainly appears to be.
    The leather is a bit stiff any suggestions as the best way to break it in

IMG_3890[1192].jpg

Thanks
    Mblhopo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2716 times
    A nice-looking quality double loop holster. Like an 1880's Cowboy, I used to soak my hat, boots, or holster in water, then put it on and "wear it" until dry! I don't do that anymore.

Over the years I have used different methods of "breaking in" a new holster. Grease the gun on all parts that will be in the holster. Then start at the muzzle and wrap the gun with aluminum foil, covering all parts that will be in the holster. Aluminum foil can be molded closely to the gun's contours. Then slowly slide the gun in the holster. Wet the surface with a sponge where the holster is tight on the gun. Then let holster dry (in the sun is OK). Then slowly remove the pistol, re-grease it lightly and slide back into that holster (not recommended on a leather lined holster).

This is just one idea - there may be other better ones.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 03-17-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Appreciate the reply, it is leather lined

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    617 times
    Use it a lot. Practice your draw. After a thousand cycles, it will be broken in. Paste wax and/or a little powdered graphite will make it slick but the graphite will leave a mark if that bothers you.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    LOL, yep 1000 draw cycles that should do it.

Member #
    Liked
    304 times
    Just leave it in the holster in the car on a hot day or two and let cool naturally . Here in Texas inside temps hit 140 (I have a laser thermometer) dash hits 205. Not to hurt anyone feelings but this is why I buy Kramer----there is no need for this kind of work which sometimes works, sometimes not so well. Leather especially good leather tanned properly will mold nicely. Cheap or poorly tanned leather will just sag like an old ladies mammaries.

Member #
    Liked
    1293 times
    Just put your flavor of revolver in it and slip it under your pillow and sleep on it. Really just kidding, use it often and it will be fine.
    Colt SAA and Colt 1st gen SAA,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    108 times
    I have a holster made by the person who made that holster. Mine is stiff as well but using it will help more than anything.
    Here is a link to his web site. https://www.westernstarleather.com//

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8571 times
    There's a bit of difference between breaking in a holster and correcting a holster that's too tight.

To break in a holster, by far the best method of break in is to simply use the holster. Put the gun in and wear it around the house.
    Draw the gun and re-holster during that time.
    The natural flexing and moving of the holster will cause the leather to form better to the gun.
    Simple use will break it in.

To make a too-tight holster a little looser, the holster maker approved method is to put the gun in a plastic bag and put it in the holster.
    Leave it in over night and check the fit. If it's still too tight you may need to put two plastic bags on and store overnight again.
    If it's way too tight you may need to let it stand several days.
    This process will cause natural stretching of the leather but not excessively.

Wetting a holster that's too tight will cause too much stretching and can reduce the service life by years.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    532 times
    I rub a quality leather conditioner inside/out of holster, then if extremely stiff/tight apply a little heat(hairdryer). Then carefully holster your revolver all the way into position and leave for a few weeks. Should be a perfect fit afterwhich and I've had no issues over the years with a blue steel gun being left this way as long as its wiped down with oily gun rag occasionally. Apply clear cling wrap prior to extended holster time during break-in if concerned with the finish. Also, I'd advise against numerous holstering cycles as way to break-in your nice lined holster due to excessive wear/tear on the leather and gun. Proper fitment of SAA western style holsters ultimately is still pretty snug, and that's how you want it.

Good luck, and beautiful holster, enjoy!
    Last edited by tgoose1; 03-17-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links