Holster in place
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By faraim

Thread: Holster in place

Member #
    Liked
    705 times

Holster in place

Yesterday the news came down to "Shelter In Place." I've had a holster design turning over in my head for a month or so and decided to slap together a prototype. For a Detective Special or any other snubby it seems that a pancake holster is a bit too much when a simple scabbard holster will suffice. I wanted to offset the belt loop so the butt was angled into my side but without the loop tab that a Nelson or Avenger style would have. This is my first working model, and it has a lot of things that I will change. I know I could have designed this with pencil and paper but sometimes, actually most of the time I need to see and feel it to figure out what I did wrong. Anyway, if you folks are shut-ins like me, there are lots of ways to fight boredom!

IMG_2580 2.jpgIMG_2581.jpgIMG_2582.jpg
    webley455, MarkInTx and Dr.Tramp like this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8572 times
    That's an excellent design.
    It has most everything a good CCW holster requires, most critical is the ability to get a shooting grip on the gun before it's started out of the holster.
    Too many holsters have excellent workmanship but a poor design, such as leather that interferes with the gripping of the gun.

One possible way to improve concealment by holding the holster closer to the body is a separate belt mount on the back.
    This is stitched on the back of the holster at top and bottom and tends to hold the holster closer then the fold over type.
    Wet molding a channel for the belt before stitching in place allows easier mounting on a belt, but still holds it closer then the fold over belt loop.

However, just the way it is is excellent. Usually "simpler is better".

Member #
    Liked
    9872 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    That's an excellent design./snip/
    "simpler is better".
    Ocham's razor. Simply stated in 3 words.

Good holster.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    705 times
    Gents, thanks for your kind comments. dfariswheel, I suspect we are on the same page of the book. Prototype number 2.

IMG_2605.jpg

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8572 times
    Now THAT is going to be a great design.
    I also notice that you carried the back of the belt mount as close to the rear seam as possible.
    If you can work around the seam area you can even extend the belt mount over the seam to increase holding the butt against the side.

Once you do it as an actual finished product please post some pictures.

Red Nichols said it best.... most anyone can run a line of stitching, but where the pros stand out is in the design.

Sponsored Links