Berms-Martin Triple Draw Lightin' Rig
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Berms-Martin Triple Draw Lightin' Rig

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samcolt45 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how often theypop up for sale?I've been enamoured with this holsterforever, and my idea vintage perfectioninvolves a Lightin' rig paired with my '34-era DS.Samcol45
    turnerriver,

Lady Luck has shined on me.
    The other night I won an eBay auction for a Berns-Martin Lightnin' Rig for a S&W J-frame. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near the condition of the one in your photos.

I could use some advice, when it arrived, the harness was not attached. To make things even more interesting, I believe the seller included some unrelated accessories.

The thin-strap cotton harness was there, but so was a wider, light-colored harness that loosely resembles one from a Bianchi 9R Special Agent. (which I also own an example of by the way) However, unlike my 9R harness, this one doesn't contain any obvious way to attach it to the buckles on each end of the holsters. My gut tells me it is not original to the holster, so can you tell me how to go about attaching the original thin-strap cotton harness to the holster?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Samcolt45

Member #
    Liked
    4885 times
    Sam, you do know that a 1934 DS predates the Berns Martin holsters by a lot of years? I think at earliest the 1950s for the holster, maybe a little later.
    It's OK if you want to use them together but if you are looking for a period correct set up you'll need an earlier holster.

Member #
    Liked
    1097 times
    Sam, the BM harness should look like a figure 8 with an open side. The 2 ends attach to the buckles by just pushing the brass tongue through the cotton strap wherever it's right for you size wise. I'll see if I can take a photo when I return home next week to show you what I mean. Regards, turnerriver

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    Sam,Malysh and Turneriver have it right,however,I've come across some that the cotton strap had been washed and has shrunk to an unserviceable size[like a skinney 10year old!] they can be easily made by any one with a sewing machine and some common cotton strapping. BTW; if you can't use the Bianchi like harness,I would take it off of your hands. Thanks, Nick

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Malysh View Post
    Sam, you do know that a 1934 DS predates the Berns Martin holsters by a lot of years? I think at earliest the 1950s for the holster, maybe a little later. It's OK if you want to use them together but if you are looking for a period correct set up you'll need an earlier holster.
    What would you suggest?I have a tooled SDM, which I'm not sure what it was made for.My DS fits loose

Member #
    Liked
    4885 times
    Sam, turnerriver would be the best guy to give you advice about that.

One holster of the 20s-40s that was very popular for both service length revolvers and snubbys was the Audley. It's a belt holster. Eventually, Jay-Pee started to make the Audley pattern holster. Audleys and Jay-Pees are pretty hard to find, especially for the snubbys. It's a specific model that has a steel retention clip that goes around the trigger guard. Do a forum search under Audley and I think you will find some examples.I've been casually looking for one for about a year.
    I should think holsters by Myers, Lawrence, Heiser, Clark, etal would be appropriate, but here's where you definitely need the expert because I can't look at one and generally tell what the time period was. Only a few models......
    Last edited by Malysh; 08-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Malysh View Post
    Sam, turnerriver would be the best guy to give you advice about that. One holster of the 20s-40s that was very popular for both service length revolvers and snubbys was the Audley. It's a belt holster. Eventually, Jay-Pee started to make the Audley pattern holster. Audleys and Jay-Pees are pretty hard to find, especially for the snubbys. It's a specific model that has a steel retention clip that goes around the trigger guard. Do a forum search under Audley and I think you will find some examples.I've been casually looking for one for about a year. I should think holsters by Myers, Lawrence, Heiser, Clark, etal would be appropriate, but here's where you definitely need the expert because I can't look at one and generally tell what the time period was. Only a few models......
    Thanks so much for the advice. I'll start looking. To complicate matters, I'm left handed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have one I nevered used so I took off the straps and use it for a pocket holster. Now I use it daily.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey04 View Post
    .... I sure wish I could find a Triple draw for a S&W Chiefs. ...
    I've got one I'd sell. PM me for photo's & more info.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hi, I know this is a very old thread but am new and didn’t know how to start a new one. I have a very good condition Berns Martin “lightnin” triple draw holster made in Elberton Georgia CS. I was wondering if anyone knew the approximate value of these? Not sure how to post pictures. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ~Vince

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links