Berms-Martin Triple Draw Lightin' Rig
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Berms-Martin Triple Draw Lightin' Rig

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Berms-Martin Triple Draw Lightin' Rig

Can anyone tell me how often theypop up for sale?I've been enamoured with this holsterforever, and my idea vintage perfectioninvolves a Lightin' rig paired with my '34-era DS.Samcol45

Member #
    Liked
    1042 times

Berns Martin Triple Draw Lightnin' rig

Not very often & as with everything else prices continue to rise.The Triple Draw Lightnin' holster was designed with a shoulder harness & belt loop for wear on the belt strong side draw, upside down cross draw & upside down under the shoulder on the harness. You can also find them made for use with just the harness or without the harness buckles for belt use. Here is a Triple Draw Lightnin' made for a Detective Special with an original cotton web shoulder harness. They are more frequently seen for the S&W Chiefs Special revolver. Regards, Turnerriver

Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    I should have added that the Triple Draw Lightnin' had belt loop, buckles & harness- a holster with just a belt loop & no buckles or buckles & harness with no belt loop would be a Lightnin' model. Regards, turnerriver

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8077 times
    You'll more often see the Bianchi near-copy for sale.
    They sold this as the Model 9R "Special Agent". Later versions included belt slots on both sides to make it an ambidextrous belt holster.
    They sold this at least as late as 1995, which is the last catalog I have from them.

The Berns-Martin is now a collectors item while the Bianchi is regarded as just a holster.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah, I have a 9R for a S&W K-frame.Close but no cigar.

Member #
    Liked
    4859 times
    I have the Bianchi. I'd prefer the older Berns Martin just because.
    I like either one over the upside down Safariland version with the elastic patch that hold the gun. The B.M. and the Bianchi use a spring steel clip (as you all know) which won't stretch like that elastic does. I bet the spring clip outlasts the owners.

Last edited by Malysh; 08-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    The holster above was made in Calhoun City Ms. Berns- Martin moved to Elberton, Ga. in the early 1960's. The latest price list I have from Calhoun City is 1959; the earliest list for Elberton is dated 1963. That makes the DS holster at least 50 years old. It's tight and looks almost new.
    I have a Bianchi 9R holster with a sticker in it that says "Berns-Martin Lightnin' (T. M.)
    by Bianchi" & another one stamped " A BIANCHI PROTOTYPE".

Regards, turnerriver
    Last edited by turnerriver; 08-09-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Addition
    ..db.. likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2245 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerriver View Post
    The holster above was made in Calhoun City Ms. Berns- Martin moved to Elberton, Ga. in the early 1960's. The latest price list I have from Calhoun City is 1959; the earliest list for Elberton is dated 1963. That makes the DS holster at least 50 years old. It's tight and looks almost new.
    I have a Bianchi 9R holster with a sticker in it that says "Berns-Martin Lightnin' (T. M.)
    by Bianchi" & another one stamped " A BIANCHI PROTOTYPE".

Regards, turnerriver

I have one of the Bianchi 9R's made to fit a a Colt Detective Special. Bianchi used to set up at the old Great Western Show in SouCal and sell their holsters that had minor blems, cosmetic flaws or samples that were not in packaging. You had to root through stacks of them looking at the markings to see what they fit but they had great deals. I also bought an M1907 military pattern sling, and it too is stamped "prototype" which I have always found interesting.

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    I wore out a Berns- Martin Lightening Triple draw in the mid sixties.I had it made in Elberton Ga.[I believe the makers name was George IIRC] I sent it back to the maker and he relined the part over the 90 degree bend in the spring for no charge.That holster was stolen in a box of leather goods from government shipping when I went to Germany. I recently was able to purchase a Lightening for harness only [buckles but no belt loops]. I sure wish I could find a Triple draw for a S&W Chiefs. I'll even buy one for a gun I don't have.What a great excuse to buy a gun!!! I am fond of the Bianchi 9R and have several but I wish Bianchi had made more sizes for more guns and I wish they had continued that line. I believe Bianchi bought out the patent to keep other companies from making them. Too bad. Nick

Member #
    Liked
    4859 times
    The Bianchi I have fits Detective Specials but it also fits S&W J frames. It fits both equally well. It's not the model that doubles as a belt holster so it's not a true copy of the Triple Draw. I'll have to take a look at the model number stamped on the back.

* I checked this holster today. It is stamped Bianchi 9R on the back. But it doesn't have belt slots and there's no indication it ever did.
    Last edited by Malysh; 09-08-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Skysoldier likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links