Interview with General Bill Keys
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2636 times

Interview with General Bill Keys

Lt. Gen. Bill Keys, president of Colt, is interviewed in the current issue of "Small Arms Review". Just came out yesterday. It is a good and wide ranging interview that addresses almost every issue folks here ask about Colt (except, no mention of revolvers!). Well worth the effort to grab a copy, also this same issue has an very technical article on Colt's new piston-driven variant of the M4. In the interest of full disclosure, I know Bill and I think he is a great guy, and an outstanding American. As a business owner myself, I still marvel about how he has righted the ship over there....which in my opinion was very close to sinking when he took it over.
    SKW

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times

Re: Interview with General Bill Keys

As I recall. this is the same man of vision , who in 1999 stated the 2 inch revover was dead because it was obsolete , and there was no demand for them. Also recalled his vision for Colt commercial division in that interview ,none of which has happened. Other than still carping the same old tune , what exactly has he done and why can they still not make limited runs of their great double action revolvers?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2636 times

Actually the General addresses some of that in the interview, although not specifically revolvers, and I've mentioned it here before also. They are a pretty small company compared to what they were in the 1960's (for example)....and almost every asset there is focused on providing high quality rifles to the US government. Over 100,000 in the last year alone.
    SKW

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times

Still he has been there over 10 years and Colt's descent into near oblivion in the commercial market occurred on his watch. Colt fans would like products , not excuses. USFA is a small company and they are offering a hell of a lot more than Colt . Why is that? Perhaps leadership. It is difficult to accept that this once great company cannot offer a single 22 , or a da revolver revolver for its' fans. Prices on the use market are skyrocketing. A lot of Colt fans who would love a 38 2 inch revolver or a mid frame 357 are not going to be able to afford or find a Colt . While they may not be able offer the Python or a 72 style Det Special , the should be able to offer a DS2, Magnim Carry , aKing Cobr or Boa as well as the little380 Govt Model

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

[ QUOTE ]
    ... Colt fans would like products , not excuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Said!
    "Government is not the solution to the problem. Government IS the problem."
    -Ronald Reagan

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... Colt fans would like products , not excuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Said!

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd that. However in all fairness, USFA is a young company and does have all the baggage that Colt does. IE: Not partly owned by the state, a lot of debt, etc. All due to poor choices by Colt in the past which are now coming back to haunt them. Also, does USFA have unionized labor? I don't want to start a flame war, but good or bad union labor is more costly compared to non-union labor. The strike REALLY hurt Colt, which of course is partly their fault for letting it go on for so long.
    "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately on entering it, you will find a Colt bring it here. If anyone should say to you, 'Why are you doing this?' reply, 'The Master has need of it..." Lk 19: 30-31.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times

ON THE OTHER HAND THE STRIKE WAS A lOOOOONNNNGGG TIME AGO. They and HE have had a lot of time to recover and have not. S&W was circling the drain and performed a major turnaround, leaving Colt in the dust. Colt just keeps on giving excuses and singing "Tomorrow"

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

OBSERVATION: I recently ordered a letter from the Archive (which I noticed they created a separate LLC for) and the post card said they have a 5 month back log. That's a lot of letters and a lot of revenue!

I almost bought one of the New Agents recently just to support their endeavors, even though the New Agent isn't a revolver and isn't nickel plated.

Whatever direction they decide to take at Colt, I wish them the best.
    My hobby...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    FaceBook Users...

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times

I don't collect letters, I collect Colts so why not use that revenue to make some Colts ,like they used to? Sounds to me like the General is working on his degree. a BS degree.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2636 times

hey, did anyone else actually read the interview because it seems the same opinions are being voiced. For the record, the Archive section is 2 nice ladies (Kathy & Bev), and letters is not the only thing they do. I don't think it generates revenues that would open another production line. I may be the minority opinion, but I think you will see both increased 1911-type production, continued and even increased SAA production and the return of a double action revolver. They have 2 completely different but equally impressive DA auto prototypes completed also. I think you'll also see them respond to the RFP for the new service pistol, if that ever comes out in a final form. None of this will occur as fast as any of us would like, but I think you'll see it. Be optomistic, it's the only way to go. Besides, you'll have to get in line behind me when the new stuff comes out anyway [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    SKW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links