Will I be the only one with a revolver?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Will I be the only one with a revolver?

Member #
    Liked
    2712 times

Will I be the only one with a revolver?

Since I moved last year I need to get a new government permission slip CCW to carry a concealed firearm. Part of the requirement is showing proficiency with your handgun, which is firing 30 rounds at a B27 target at girlie-man distances of 3, 5 and 7 yards. All rounds need to hit the target (minimum of 270/300).

I'm bringing my S&W 351C, a 10 ounce 7-shooter in .22 Magnum. I'm curious to see what the ratio will be tomorrow of revolvers vs. the plastic fantastics .

1903, oberon, ei8ht and 10 others like this.
    My areas of expertise are firearms and Latin females. Not necessarily in that order.

Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Nice Post!! Wonder what the over/under odds is that you will be placed on the firing line between an individual shooting 9mm +P on one side and somebody with a.454 SuperRedhawk on the other.

Member #
    Liked
    1830 times
    Suspect the ones toting snubby revolvers will fare pretty well.
    Colt snubbies rule.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johngross View Post
    Since I moved last year I need to get a new government permission slip CCW to carry a concealed firearm. Part of the requirement is showing proficiency with your handgun, which is firing 30 rounds at a B27 target at girlie-man distances of 3, 5 and 7 yards. All rounds need to hit the target (minimum of 270/300).

I'm bringing my S&W 351C, a 10 ounce 7-shooter in .22 Magnum. I'm curious to see what the ratio will be tomorrow of revolvers vs. the plastic fantastics .

I would venture to say that the ratio will probably go along the same lines as the age group you have. By that I mean the older, more seasoned individuals with probably go with what they're most familiar and comfortable with, meaning the metal 2"-4" Security-Six type of sidearms. The younger individuals with most likely be packing Glock19 or something of that style. I'm just going but what I see at the classes my son teaches and the ones given at my local Shooting Range. Let us know what kind of firearms you see and if it goes along with my statement or a more scattered pattern, it would be interesting to hear about.

I would probably pack my Series 70 1911 just to see what some of the other might say. Then again when I pull out my "backup" Glock 21 they might kick me outta class for cheatin'
    johngross likes this.
    AIM small, MISS small then RELOAD!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    Are there time limits on each stage? In other words, can you shoot single action or does it have to be double action?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13238 times
    Hi John! I suspect you will be alone with your revolver, especially a snubby.

Years ago, when I initially took my shooting proficiency test for handgun carry permit, there were several of us with revolvers. There were about 20 total persons in the class. A couple of us with revolvers scored 100%. I used a S&W 686 6" barrel. We shot 50 rounds at a target at the same ranges as you.

Twenty rounds were shot at 3 yards, 20 at 5 and 10 at 7 yards. Any hit scored 2 points that was within the seven ring.

Two years ago I attended again, just to accompany our son, as he took his first CCW course. Same distances, same scoring, 40 enrollees. Zero revolvers. (I scored 100% again but sorry to say, even I used a semi-auto, a Beretta 92FS)
    Last edited by Colt-SL; 02-26-2017 at 06:47 AM.
    LEO918, johngross, WVCOLT and 2 others like this.
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Member #
    Liked
    6242 times
    I took a class about 15 years ago in AZ. There was maybe one revolver, and the rest Sigs, Glocks, and such. I shot a 1903 Colt Hammerless, just to mess with the instructor. I can hit where I aim with it. In this state, you just qualify with any gun, it doesn't restrict you to using that gun for the rest of your life or anything. I know one man in his 70s that was an expert shot in the Marines, but never really shot much the past 30 years. He took a Ruger MKII with a long barrel, a .22, and they allowed it.
    Colt-SL likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Texas requires a minimum caliber of .32 for range proficiency.

Jackson
    Colt-SL likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4447 times
    When I took my last qual. test, there was a very senior lady who couldn't keep her shots on paper with her Jennings (POS).
    The instructor had a S&W Model 17 in his bag and loaned it to her - she qualified finally.
    Colt-SL and speedfrk73z like this.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5656 times
    With double plugs, and knowing the type of man that John is, I doubt it'll bother him one little bit.

Good luck with it John, and I'll bet the ration of revolver to pistol will be quite low.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by az_colt View Post
    Nice Post!! Wonder what the over/under odds is that you will be placed on the firing line between an individual shooting 9mm +P on one side and somebody with a.454 SuperRedhawk on the other.
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma, I'm ridin' the range tonight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links