Standard Mfg. Single Action revolvers
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Standard Mfg. Single Action revolvers

Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    Well if you don't like judging from a photo, and the real thing apparently doesn't exist......what can you judge from?

Member #
    Liked
    1705 times
    Sorta the point.
    You can't judge.
    It's a wait'n see.

You can't look at a photo & tell if the B/C gap's right.
    You can't look at a photo & gauge cylinder lock-up.
    You can't look at a photo & determine the quality of the action parts fitting.
    You can't look at a photo & check chamber throats.
    You can't look at a photo & feel how light or heavy or clean the trigger pull is.
    You can't look at a photo & tell if the guts have the right heat-treat.
    You can't look at a photo & see if the gun has a recoil plate (Colts do, Ubertis don't).
    You can't look at a photo & tell if the gun has a machined trigger or a MIM trigger (Colt has machined, Pietta has MIM).
    You can't look at a photo & make out how well the grip panels are fitted.
    And so on.

ALL you can determine from a single profile picture is external cosmetics.
    Denis

Member #
    Liked
    14966 times
    As my wife is prone to say, "yada, yada yada". Annoys the hell out me when she does it too. Doesn't prove your point either just shows me what you don't or are unwilling to see.

You wanta argue MIM or machined steel trigger in a SAA? Or just a forum troll or simple obfuscation? Or you just don't know the difference.
    And the grip panels? They look really nice from the pictures. My perspective having actually fitted dozens of them.

I don't need a list of specs to check when they can't put the right front sight on a gun to match the caliber or the right sights to match front to back. So ya I can tell the difference between Uberti quality and the pictures of Standards quality today. Their pictures not mine.

One would assume as joe Q public the gun buyer....if it is on the Standard web site it is their production gun. But even I have offered up it is likely a "pre production sample" as a way out of the chit they have pictured there.

In 30 years working within the firearms industry I have seen gun writers come and go. Also intimately aware of how the relationships work between manufactures and writers.

Here we have a gun writer defending a company (with "I've had a slot reserved with an editor for a review article on this gun") while ignoring or unable to see the faults in a product he will either get a free sample of or have the opportunity to buy one at a greatly reduced price.

Please refer to post #27.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 09-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    Jim Martin and Prowbar like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoody View Post
    I have no clue who's parts they are using. Just going from their pictures. Here is what I see in the photos. Front sight is the same shape as a early Uberti. Same front sight that makes it easy way to identify Uberti parts guns built at USPFA and USFA. Front sight is a narrow and tapered BP type that should be mated to a V notch rear. The frame pictured has a square notch rear sight. The front sight is not the correct height for a 38 Special by comparison to any other SAA. So "other than the front sight" covers a lot of things wrong with this gun/production IMO besides "just the front sight". When I see a front sight and then a caliber roll mark that looks suspiciously like a Uberti roll mark and not anything similar to their single line barrel address I wonder where the barrel came from. Once I start wondering who made the barrel and in what country I start wondering what was made in the USA (not that it matters). But I already own Uberti and Pietta guns. None of them cost me $1500.

"Under the blue dome" was a complete sham first time around built on Uberti parts. They did end up building some really nice guns. Some of the best SAA ever made I think. But they didn't start out building some of the best they started out building fancy Ubertis at inflated prices based on a fabricated story. I have no doubt they were the best Ubertis ever built but still just a Uberti.

So..call me cynical if you like but I'll believe it (high quality SAA built 100% in the USA) when I see a Standard SAA at my local dealer.
    I looked closely at the photo. The barrel is marked "45 Colt". I also noticed up close that the gun has a cylinder drag line. Somebody there doesn't know the proper way to work the action on a traditional single action revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    14966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    I looked closely at the photo. The barrel is marked "45 Colt"....

it does indeed. Thanks for the correction.
    Hopalong likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1705 times
    Guy, I was being polite in saying the ultimate test of quality can NOT be gauged by manipulated images of pre-production promotional samples on the Internet.

I have not maligned either your intelligence or your character.

I've shot Italian repros since 1969.
    I've had five USFAs here.
    I've had old Ubertis, I've had new Ubertis, I've had current Piettas, I've had ASMs, I've had Colts.
    I've had Italian product from at least four importers.
    I've had Italian product from three makers.
    I've had customized Italian product.
    I've talked to a couple clone customizers/gunsmiths.
    I've personally handled Italian single-actions with all sorts of problems, running from the typical sight regulation issue to a trigger with such piss-poor hardening that the tip actually curled into a very dangerous sub-one-pound pull.

ALL LOOKED NICE on the outside.
    ALL had nice catalog photos.

Point there is that each & every one needed an in-hand and at-the-range eval to determine true quality.

I don't give a flyin' filigree if you don't like the frickin' front sight.
    Get over it, or get out of it.

People cheerfully buy Ubertis & Piettas all day long without them being absolutely First-Gen-Colt-perfect.
    So what?

Basing an opinion of quality on a gun not yet in either production or even final form is idiotic to an extreme.

The gunwriter problem you seem to have?
    In 27 years of doing it, I write up what I find.
    I do not get free guns for reviews.
    You are "intimately familiar" with how it works?
    You've been a gunwriter for a couple decades or more?
    You know me?
    You know how I handle business?

I merely say give this company a chance, and you fall apart & get personal?
    Where did I say it had no faults?
    Where did I say it's a perfect copy of a Colt? Or even that it has to be?
    USFA never built a perfectly identical Colt clone either, but those guns always sold & I see very few people whining about them having Uberti dimensions even on later US-production guns.

Saying give the new company a chance violates some imaginary moral code of yours?
    Saying it's impossible to judge the true overall quality of a gun not yet in production from an Internet pre-production promotional image offends the Universe Of Truth & Justice somehow?

Forum troll?
    Where'n hell did you get that?
    I used MIM as one passing example of a shortcut in manufacturing that Pietta is now using that you can't see from a photo.
    I also used the lack of a recoil plate in the Uberti as another.
    Both were examples of differences that MAY be of interest to potential buyers, that you can't pick out in a photo.
    Those statements somehow, in your head, make me a troll?

And I can tell the difference between a MIM trigger on the most recent Pietta that I had here, vs any & all other COLT SAA & clones.

If you don't like the looks of whatever image Standard is putting out to generate up-front interest, then go with something else.
    If you're the limited-view type that condemns a new product out of hand before it's even out yet, then that says more about you than the gun.
    If you so contemptuously and so easily dismiss a new American-made SAA clone that could easily fill the void left by USFA with potentially better overall quality than the imports, AND actually be more available than anything Colt can manage to dribble out, based solely on three pre-pro promotional images, again- more you than the gun.
    Denis
    vlodpg and feralmerril like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10917 times
    Cozmo and Txbigly like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    1705 times
    No popcorn needed.
    Somebody posts a thread on the Standard, there's obviously interest, I take the time to call the company for an update on availability & post it here for those who are interested, and I have the unmitigated gall to suggest that people wait & see to give it a chance before dismissing it based on a photo.
    And then I get a personal attack from a guy who somehow builds up an imaginary case of outrage over my involvement.

I've said my piece here.
    Wait & see on the gun.
    Buy it.
    Don't buy it.
    Chug some Pepto & get on with life if you can't tolerate the front sight in a picture of a gun not even made yet.
    I'm outa this one.
    Denis
    vlodpg and dandak like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14966 times
    Guess we'll all just have to wait for your (pre production or production) Standard SAA to arrive for that review then.

"I don't give a flyin' filigree if you don't like the frickin' front sight."
    Me neither really. I cut a lot of them with a file. So no big deal. But when they are a BP tapered front sight mated to a square notch rear, that would bother me some. Some? May be a lot on a $1500 gun..that would wholesale for around $1000 I'd bet. But when you have a front sight profile that is generally only seen on USPFA Uberti guns I have to wonder, "really"? "Really" is just me being polite.

Uberti/USPFA or Standard from their current photos. Could just be an optical illusion..or it could be a Uberti front sight. Or it could simply be a freak of nature that appears to be a Uberti front sight. It is just a picture how would I know. But them I have bought dozens of USFA guns worth 10s of 1000s of $ betting on just the shape of the front sight.

and a USA made USFA front sight

You say of MIM, "one passing example of a shortcut in manufacturing". I'd believe most that have working knowledge of MIM parts used in firearms would call them a less expensive way to produce very high quality and durable, complicated parts. I wouldn't call it a short cut, denoting lesser value. If anything the MIM 1911 ignition parts have proven their quality and durability many times over in more guns than either of us can count. If one compares the abuse a 1911 sear takes compared to a SAA trigger/sear your comment becomes even less credible to me. Introducing MIM and calling it "lesser in value"...denotes troll to me. Someone just wanting to argue their point.

"you so contemptuously and so easily dismiss a new American-made SAA clone that could easily fill the void left by USFA"

I do dismiss the Standard SAA, to date from the photos. I saw USPFA/USFA come and go. Their early guns were Ubertis...nice Ubertis but still Ubertis.

Look at all the folks trying to sell USPFA guns or worse yet buying them at inflated prices thinking they are getting that "all USA made" high quality SAA.

When Standard puts up a "perfect" picture I'll be the first to give them an "atta boy". Be sure to mention that in your next phone call to Standard asking for your free sample gun (loaner, discounted or simply free) to review. Until then Yes, indeed, I will keep pointing out the things I see wrong in the photos. It is a Colt forum tradition
    Last edited by Cozmo; 09-10-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    Joel6180 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7302 times
    Gentlemen , we're done here .
    Colt75 and MarshalC like this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links