Nigerian film flam
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Nigerian film flam

Member #
    Liked
    315 times

Nigerian film flam

I recently had an individual answer an add I had on a python. He stated he wanted the gun and would pay with a cashiers check. The phrases used in his texts was a little suspect. He had stated he was a Corrections officer with the Harris County Sheriffs Office in Houston. I asked for identification and he submitted complete set of credentials, photo, badge, CCW and Texas DL. The check was drawn on a Chicago Bank and was for a thousand more than I was asking for the gun. That confirmed what I thought. I conferred with IA Divison Harrison Co SO, Houston, Texas concerning the credentials. IA confirmed the corrections Officer had lost a set of ID. I conferred with ATF and they confirmed it was a Nigerian run scam. Just passing it on for FYI as he does possess Law Enforcement identification. It could be used for a wide variety of not so pleasant activities.

ace

Member #
    Liked
    1523 times
    wow! those scammers try every angle! good catch!
    4597 likes this.
    I'm Ace and I approve this message.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5198 times
    Another one to watch out for is a phone call from the IRS because you must immediately call a certain number to get this straightened out. I never received one from the "IRS" before, so that is new. Oh and the IRS only notifies you by registered mail.
    Abwehr likes this.
    .45 or More!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    So, do I have this correct? It's a legit scam, you still have the gun and a bank check for $1K over your asking price? Why not keep the gun, cash the check and send the guy a thank you note? What's he going to do, call the feds?
    colt22dotcom and MarkInTx like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5198 times
    That is a good question. Usually the money order is a fake. My niece was scammed in the a similar way. The person sent a casters check for down payment on an apartment. my niece deposited it into her account, the person changed their mind, and wanted the money back, my niece got a money order and sent it back to the person, the cashier check turned out to be bad and my niece was out of a bunch of money.
    Rick likes this.
    .45 or More!

Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfcoln View Post
    Another one to watch out for is a phone call from the IRS because you must immediately call a certain number to get this straightened out. I never received one from the "IRS" before, so that is new. Oh and the IRS only notifies you by registered mail.
    Actually They will call you if you owe them money. I found out. Truman
    Colts are not an addiction, They are a commitment! Truman

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    You know what they say: "There's a sucker born everyday, and someone to take him"
    That's one of the oldest scams; guy send a 1k over the asking price, and asks you to send back his "mistake" of overpaying. Then your out the base price, AND the "extra" 1K.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    As to the check, yes, I still have it. He did send a copy of a valid ffl in San Antonio. If anyone thinks the check is valid, I will sell it to you for 50.00. The texts came from a cell phone. His IP address is located in Mt View, Calif. Fed Ex shipped the check overnight from Michigan. ATF says he is probably in Nigeria. Yes, I still have the python. I assure you this guy and many like him will continue this activity. Why not. No consequences, and they only have to hit paydirt every once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2725 times
    Another one we've been getting lately is a heavy-accented voice saying he is "calling from the United States Government" and that I (or whoever answers) "are one of 1500 people chosen at random to receive a $9000 grant from the United States Government."

Most of the time we hang up. Sometimes it is fun to mess with them. They all vapor-lock when forced to go off script

Shouting to my wife (who rolls her eyes) Honey...we won the grant!
    Which department?
    "The United States Government."
    Right. I never applied for a grant.
    "Your name was chosen at random by the United States Government"
    Who is funding this grant?
    "The United States Government"
    Right. How much is the grant?
    "It is $9000 from the..."
    That's not nearly enough!
    "It is $9000 from the..."
    I understand but its not enough. I need more.
    "How much do you need from the ..."
    I need at least (insert stupid amount here) to get started.
    Silence followed by weak attempt to get me back on script "But this is $9000 from the..."

It is the most fun when they hang up first
    wolfcoln likes this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Member #
    Liked
    838 times
    Two incidents come to mind:

1. I have a "spare" cell phone to use for outgoing calls if my other phone is inoperable; most of my calls are made on my "business" cell phone. I started getting voice mails on the spare phone advising that I needed to make up my late payment for something or be turned over for collection and prosecution. Blocking the number didn't help, as the calls came from a variety of area codes and numbers. Finally, one message said I needed to call them back within 24 hours and left a number where they could be reached. I set up call forwarding for incoming calls to go to that number, so they could talk amongst themselves.

2. My wife answered the land line at home and the caller stated we had a problem with our computer and he could talk her through the repairs. Conversation went like this:

caller: Are you seated at your desk?
    wife: Yes I am.
    caller: Tell me your password as you type into the keyboard.
    wife: Keyboard? What's that?
    caller: The keyboard of your computer.
    wife: I don't have a computer . . . Wait a minute . . . I don't have a phone either . . . how are you even talking to me, is it mental telepathy?
    caller hung up
    wolfcoln and MarkInTx like this.

Capable of using typewriter if necessary. - "Jerry" Campbell, 1934

I don't have the time for multi-tasking, I'm too busy doing a bunch of other things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links