Oberservations of an Old Man, who doesn't know squat!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    7253 times

Oberservations of an Old Man, who doesn't know squat!

I went to a gun show today in Boise. It was beautiful here. We topped out at 80 degree's, clear skies with white pillowy clouds above the Mountain Peaks. Just like them dang Post Cards.

I walked around with my Marlin 36 ADL today with a white glove on as to not transfer Body Oils and salts to the metal. I was looking for some small screws to replace som damaged heads. All them under aged experts with their black guns and sniper snoopers, kept asking me, "Say Mister, what do you want for that Winchester 64?

You know you reached puberty when they call you Mister. So I had to clue in all the behind the table "know it all's" that the rifle was not a Winchester. One kid looked at me, like I just introduced him to another world of armament, or better described as the proverbial deer in the head lights look.

Only one Old timer with more gray than me, buck skin pants and shirt left over from the "Mountain Men" of long ago, who looked liked he crawled out from under rock. "Say, is that a Marlin 36?", Was his question. (Much to my amazement he didn't call me sir or mister).

I like Old books they are full of history and this Ol Timer had pages that hadn't been turned in years. We talked for about 45 minutes and he showed me pictures of his Marlin 36 Collection and all it's variants. Must have been 25 or 30 guns all mint too.

What a delightful conversation. He then asked me if I would be interested in looking at his all around hunting rifle. "Getting up in years" he said, "I don't want to track them no more". He prefaced the viewing with , "By the way, It's not for sale or trade". I said fair enough.

Out of a old elk skin bag came a Half round, half octagon 28" barreled Winchester 1886 chambered in 50-110 with a 3/4 mag. tube, 80 % original Case Color receiver, and about the same on bluing. Wood looked to me about "XX" but I could be wrong.

"All around Hunting rifle huh, Must be hell on the Whistle pigs!". Ol Timer stated he didn't rightly know, as all he ever found was crimson vapor.

I think the folks that really appreciate the Old Colts, Smith's, Winchester and Marlin, et al, have just about vanished. Youngin's just want to know how fast they can turn a buck.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    842 times
    It was a beautiful day up here in Denver where my wife and I are attending the annual CGCA show. Of course this is a pure collector show, so there were lots of superb Winchesters and Colts; no black guns. My wife and I did a lot of visiting with other collectors that we've met along the collecting trail over the past 35 years; that's one of the best parts about a show like this.

However, at one point my wife turned to me and said; "you don't see a lot of young people here looking at the guns"! It's kind of true, most of the collectors of these guns are middle aged and old folks like me! Of course, old Colts and Winchesters aren't cheap, so folks that buy these guns usually are in established careers with decent incomes.

Today I bought a pretty nice 7 1/2 inch barrel Colt Single Action from 1902 chambered in 44-40; so it was a good day!!!!

Member #
    Double wide in God's Country and/or Sandland
    Liked
    46 times
    Sad but true. Pushing 70 and in my fourth (and last) career, I work with a lot of young folks. Many of them are interested in weapons, and do not regard hauling one around as just a job requirement (as many did in the big city). But their interests run to plastic handguns and aluminum spray cans. Possibly some of them will grow to appreciate steel and wood as they age. I am absolutely the only one packing an all steel sidearm, much less a wheelgun. And my Winchester 97 gets remarks (sometimes awe) each time it goes to the range or comes out on a scene. The real kicker is my Krag carbine which my grandfather lugged up San Juan hill. With a "scout scope" it holds its own both in accuracy and power, but no one has heard about that war, they think black powder was invented for cowboy action shooting and civil war buffs.
    I wonder what the gun shows of 2050 (if we still got em) will look like???????????
    The Islamic Terrorist Express, go directly to Allah, do not pass Hell.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I think the folks that really appreciate the Old Colts, Smith's, Winchester and Marlin, et al, have just about vanished.
    Well Kid, we haven't all vanished. But I take great pleasure in being part of a very select few! I for one, at the ripe old age of 45, appreciate the fact that I don't have to fight through many to get to the Colt's and Winchesters I treasure so much. Except you guys!

P.S. Would love to have been at that gun show with you!
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    I like Old books they are full of history and this Ol Timer had pages that hadn't been turned in years.
    Kid, when today's young bucks (male or female) who wear badges and carry their guns into danger's way, come into the store I work in - I sure hope at least one of them walks away with a thought similar to your quote.
    Stay safe,
    Randy

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
    Sad but true. Pushing 70 and in my fourth (and last) career, I work with a lot of young folks. Many of them are interested in weapons, and do not regard hauling one around as just a job requirement (as many did in the big city). But their interests run to plastic handguns and aluminum spray cans. Possibly some of them will grow to appreciate steel and wood as they age. I am absolutely the only one packing an all steel sidearm, much less a wheelgun. And my Winchester 97 gets remarks (sometimes awe) each time it goes to the range or comes out on a scene. The real kicker is my Krag carbine which my grandfather lugged up San Juan hill. With a "scout scope" it holds its own both in accuracy and power, but no one has heard about that war, they think black powder was invented for cowboy action shooting and civil war buffs.
    I wonder what the gun shows of 2050 (if we still got em) will look like???????????
    +40 on you, Hipshot. The world is a-changing, ain't it?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I specifically Look for old guns when I am in any area that may have guns. They are the nicest and have the most history regardless of the gun. The plastic is for someone else.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am a "yung-un", I guess (just turned 40), and get kidded all the time by my buddies about my love of "old" guns. I love and truly appreciate older "real" guns....forged carbon steel & walnut. I guess its because I grew up shooting them, but I could never appreciate the plastic, tactical crap. I always went for older S&W & Colt wheelguns. I guess I was born 50 years too late.....

Member #
    Liked
    7253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteguy View Post
    I am a "yung-un", I guess (just turned 40), and get kidded all the time by my buddies about my love of "old" guns. I love and truly appreciate older "real" guns....forged carbon steel & walnut. I guess its because I grew up shooting them, but I could never appreciate the plastic, tactical crap. I always went for older S&W & Colt wheelguns. I guess I was born 50 years too late.....
    Reincarnation ! Just what is Reincarnation?

Where Do Cowboys Go When They Die?/Reincarnation
    Written By Michael Martin Murphey and Chick Rains
    Poem By Wallace McCrae
    Recorded By Michael Martin Murphey

Where Do Cowboys Go When They Die? / Reincarnation

Where do cowboys go when they die?
    Is there a place in the sweet bye and bye?
    Where the water is clean and the grass grows free
    and there ain't a cloud in the sky

"What is reincarnation?" A cowboy asked his friend.
    His friend replied "Well Son,
    it happens when your life has reached its end.
    You see, they comb your hair and they wash your neck
    and they clean your fingernails.
    And they you down in a batted box
    far away from life's prevails.
    Now the box and you goes in a hole
    that's been dug into the ground.
    And reincarnation starts
    when you're planted beneath the mound.
    You see the box melts down just like the clods(?)
    with you who is inside.
    And then, you're just beginning your transformation ride".

Is there a place in the sweet bye and bye
    Where do cowboys go when they die?

"Well, in a while some rain's
    gonna come and fall upon the ground.
    'Til one day on your lonely little grave,
    a little flower will be found.
    And say a hoss should wander by
    and graze upon the flower
    that once was you but now becomes
    a vegetative bower.
    That little flower that the hoss done ate up
    with all his other feed
    becomes bone and fat and muscle,
    essentials for the steed.
    But some he's consumed, he can't use.
    So it passes through.
    Finally it lays there on the ground,
    this thing that once was you.

And then say that I should wander by
    and gaze upon the ground.
    And wonder and ponder
    on this object that I've found.
    Well it sure makes me think of reincarnation,
    of life and death and such.
    And I ride away concludin' -
    You ain't changed all that much"

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Kid, I remember that one...it makes a guy think.
    I’m a God-fearing man, but I don’t know, like everyone, what really happens when you pass on to the other side.
    One thing I do know is "ashes to ashes, dust to dust".
    I have instructed my wife to bury me deep, wrapped in a blanket, and plant an oak tree on top of me.
    My big ‘ole fat ass could feed an oak tree for a long damn time.
    That's reincarnation...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links