Colt Forum banner

collectible vs non collectible

3K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
On the internet sites,apparently it is the consensus that if there much bluing wear on a Python, it isn't cateorized as "collectible" -same with the det spl's, OMM's and other Colts from say 1950 on. It seems that if the gun is say less than 95%, it automatically goes into the "shooter" category.
Just curious is there anyone here who "collects" these era guns even though they are less than say 95%?? I always figured any Colt revolver that isn't made anymore is still "collectible". Maybe that's where the terms low end collector and high end collectors come from.

#2 ·
low end collector and high end collectors come from
yep, that's me, a low end collector. :)
i try and find the best kept guns to buy, but, new or used, i shoot 'em all.
well, except for the pair of SAA's i bought last month. just too darn pretty to shoot!
but, i agree with you, all out of production guns are collectible in my mind.

#3 ·
I don't mind buying a nice used (not abused!) Colt. The amount you pay for the gun climbs pretty fast for those last few percentage points of condition. I like to shoot mine, at least a little, so buying less than prestine is a good way to go. Plus it leaves those ultra-high conditon guns for the collectors that want ultra-high condition guns. Sure I have some safe-queens, but the fun Colts for me are the ones I don't have to waste time worrying if they get a few more little dings or scratches from honest use. I can just shoot them and enjoy them. JMHO.

#4 ·
As earl pitts would say, "Ya know what just makes me sick?". Its those snob collectors! Ya know, the ones that hand ya a pair of white michale jackson gloves ta look at one of their unmolested virgin guns! Wake up ammerika! Give me a gun that has done its job! I will take it with my bamboo pole down to the cannel and shoot floating shlitz cans while I am fishing for carp!

#11 ·
As earl pitts would say, "Ya know what just makes me sick?". Its those snob collectors! Ya know, the ones that hand ya a pair of white michale jackson gloves ta look at one of their unmolested virgin guns! Wake up ammerika! Give me a gun that has done its job! I will take it with my bamboo pole down to the cannel and shoot floating shlitz cans while I am fishing for carp!
HAHAHA I thought i was the only one that remembered schlitz beer

#5 ·
to me, it would be a personal choice/defination.

some people can afford to buy 100% NIB from the start. if you can, then maybe that is how they will define it.

i would say alot of people cant afford to, so they will buy what they can afford and at that condtion. it doesnt make a dif, since the intention would be to trade/buy up when the chance presents itself.

also, i would say that alot of people would say its a "collectable" if its NIB, or LNIB- just due to the fact its in those conditions. however, some people will want a LNIB/NIB collecable colt just to shoot too.

define how you are going to build your own collection and dont worry what or how other people define it. dont you know its suppose to be fun?

#6 ·
I can't see how any Colt DA isn't "collectible", well that goes for nearly anything that doesn't degrade quickly, like an ice cream cone. For every object, there is someone who collects it.

I don't hold much stock in the % grades assigned to guns by laymen, especially ones selling guns on the internet. I typically figure their numbers are over estimated. Also, I hate that term...LNIB...It's either used or it isn't.

#7 ·
I can't see how any Colt DA isn't "collectible", well that goes for nearly anything that doesn't degrade quickly, like an ice cream cone. For every object, there is someone who collects it.

I don't hold much stock in the % grades assigned to guns by laymen, especially ones selling guns on the internet. I typically figure their numbers are over estimated. Also, I hate that term...LNIB...It's either used or it isn't.

afaik and have seen, everyone will use a different grading system and if you want to play the game, you have to know them. you may not like it, but its the way it is for now.

afa LNIB, you may not like it either, but if you know how it is defined, its understanable that someone would use it.

ive seen NIB guns come with dings/nicks/rust and such and eventho they were NIB, i wouldnt call them 100% eventho NIB would imply 100%.

#9 ·
I guess I am what is referred to as a blue collar worker. Having safe queens or guns that are never used just isn’t in my budget. Wish I could afford to buy guns just to put up but life is what it is. I look for guns that are in my budget and hope to find one in great condition. To me it’s a question of being patient and have cash when its time to strike. I have gotten lucky a couple of times. My Python was one I was wondering if I should shoot or not. My wife kind of settled the issue for me. She told me for what I gave for that gun she wanted to shoot it whenever she felt like it. Case closed we have had a great time with it and haven’t looked back. Besides from what I have been seeing a serious collector wants one that was purchased in the early years taken home never removed from the box never touched by human hands and paperwork to back it all up. Anything else is just a shooter so enjoy.

#10 ·
My "Collection" consists of all guns that I Love to shoot.I do not have any "Safe Queens".When they were NIB they quickly became Non NIB after many thousands of rounds of loved range shooting.My Colt Detective Special was a very well used BUG and off duty gun that belonged to my instructor.He wasn't into cleaning so when I took off the grips there was preety extensive pitting and rust issues.When she came back from COLT Royal Blued and internals replaced I have a striking shooter that always creates attention when it is on my hip.I guess it all depends where you head is at....God Bless.....Mike

#14 ·
I likes ta shoot em!! I sold a nickel Diamondback I had just because it was too pretty! I did shoot it a few times before I sold it, but it was a pretty little thing.

#15 ·
I'm a late comer to the Colt party. Lord, I wish I'd kept the ones I went thru back in the early '70s!
But I am on limited resources and I can't see any reason to have something you can't actually use. To that end I don't buy the pristine, still in the paper, unfired guns.
I can't afford them anyway.:)
But I do try to get pieces that still have their original box and any papers.
Boxes, another item no one I knew back then ever bothered to keep.
Who knew?

#16 ·
For my estate, not for sale, I'm a restorer of pre 1911 Colt .45 and .38 automatics. I would like to have a 1905 in near 100% but about 60% is the best I have got so far. I have collected up pieces and parts and made up three that I have restored. Some were heavily pitted. With my cleanup and mirror polish, markings replaced and blued by Turnbulls I have three that 'look' almost as-new. Shooters? Maybe for someone but not for me. I brought back three rare Colt automatics from the brink of oblivion.

#17 ·
If you can afford LNIB NIB (or nearly so) guns, well God bless you. Those are indeed the ones to buy. But if it wasn't for 'shooters' I couldn't be a collector/accumulater. There is a place for both. The fact that my 1877 .41 DA was reblued and had (fake) ivory grip panels added, most likely in the 50's don't bother me a bit, it's still a piece of history. And if it had been 'original' I couldn't have afforded it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.