Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Home Defense Shotgun

W.E.Coyote Acme Computer Genius

Member #
    Liked
    2030 times
    Mossberg Shockwave, 12 ga. #4 Shot

Had a Remington 870 Riot, But gave it to my daughter for things that go bump in the night.
    krag96 likes this.
    Boxes??? , We don't need no Stinking Boxes!!!!!!!!!!

That's A Rampant Colt On the side of that Colt Pistol, Not a Unicorn!!!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15333 times
    Ive been using a savage Stevens security model 350 or some variation of it.. it’s a basically a copy of Ithaca model 37 I’ve read.
    The gun is bottom eject so you won’t have empty shells bouncing off the hallway walls back at ya (god forbid that situation) and good for lefties too. It’s a 12 gauge pump. Mounts for a sling already if you want a sling. All steel construction -compact .. so it’s a stout solid feeling shotgun which should be better on recoil and a lights out baseball bat if the situation demanded. Best of all it’s about the lowest priced shotgun around I think. Seems like i paid $240 about 5 years ago. I figured if i ever have to use it in self defense, it’s better a sacrificial gun and not the heirloom. Because of the nice selection of different loads for the 12 gauge, it’s very versatile for loading for your home use.
    krag96 likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7952 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Could use a little help selecting a home defense shotgun and ammo.
    Thinking about a 20 gauge.
    Mac
    These posts quickly devolve into a "My favorite gun" listing.

The best advice is to go to any well stocked gun store and handle as many different types and brands of shotguns as possible.
    Ignore the barrel length at first and concentrate on the action and controls.
    When you find several that seem to feel and operate well for you, then look for them with shorter barrels to finalize what you feel best with.
    A good defense shotgun doesn't have to be expensive, but I always followed the standard of buying the best quality gun I could afford, and I was quite willing to eat candy bar lunches if necessary to afford what I wanted.
    I never said to myself "If ONLY I'd bought the cheaper gun".

The action type whether single barrel, double barrel, pump, or semi-auto is not really all that important, other then that the sort of default "standard" is a good quality pump gun. Virtually all law enforcement use pump guns and that's hard to argue with.
    These are safe to store with loaded magazines and still be immediately ready to use.

There's a lot of argument about shotgun shells and size of shot.
    Suffice to say, that no reputable expert will recommend any birdshot and no law enforcement or military unit will allow anything but buckshot or possibly slugs for special use.
    You will hear all sorts of stories about fatal hits with even light birdshot but these are anomalies that seldom happen in real shootings unless they happen at near-muzzle contact distance.
    Whether 20 or 12 gauge is not really important, other than that you get far more choices in loads with the 12 gauge, and at lower prices. A 20 gauge will be somewhat limited in what's available in defense loads and will cost more, but you can find suitable ammo.

One thing to watch out for in a standard tube magazine fed shotgun is not so much weakening of the magazine spring, it's shotshell compression bulging. The article linked below address this possible hazard.
    IT DOES HAPPEN.
    I once loaded a Wingmaster 870 with a magazine extension with some quality Federal #1 buckshot shells and when I inspected it a month or so later the shells were bulging.

Here's a much longer article I wrote for the Kel-Tec forum on defense shotguns. Note that the article formatting was botched by the editor and he failed to correct it when I brought it to his attention.

You may or may not agree with some of it, but it's based on my long time experience with defensive shotguns. The fact is I've owned a good number of shotguns over the many years, but not one was a sporting gun.
    Most all of them were Remington 870's with my preferred model being the Remington 870P Police models.
    Due to shoulder problems I can't handle a standard shotgun with one hand these days while moving, so my current defense shotgun is the excellent Kel-Tec KSG Bullpup.

https://www.thektog.org/articles/the...se-shotgun.34/
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 12-30-2017 at 01:10 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    I think a 20 gauge pump is a good choice. I used to be a 12 gauge guy but aging has turned me into a 20 - and that is not years! The best advice is to get what you are comfortable and confident in handling. Home self defense classes I have attended stress that choice of ammo is also very important. Stressing to stay away from buckshot and slugs due to wall-to-wall and house-to-house penetration - think liability! Recommended were shot loads - #4 or #6.
    krag96 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmc24 View Post
    Two of mine both 12 ga.--

Win 1897 trench gun -
    Beautiful!! A home invader would s*** themself on the spot.
    Big fan here. We call 'em Gramdpa's snowflake blowers
    1897's.JPG
    krag96 and dkay62 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    It is hard to beat the old Winchester Model 1300 8 round Defender 12 Gauge.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/731386723
    Great, 18 inch barrel, 7+1, defensive shotgun.
    #1 Buck is a very effective defensive load.
    Last edited by Bulldozer; 12-30-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1144 times
    well if u like the 20 gauge....they do cost more versus the 16 and of course the 12 gauge....personally i have had a few and what i like might not be what most like...for a defense gun....i would spend huge money with all the fancy lights and what not....remington 870's are hard to beat and a youth model is very easy to use as they are smaller ....i am always looking for a deal and anyone who knows me i love old guns...i about 2 years ago got a very early winchester model 12 ....got it for a song and that is my defense shotgun...but i always keep a good loaded pistol near me too....it will all depend on what u like and your budget....
    God Bless,John

hey i totally agree with going out and handling many different models....where i live...shotguns are so cheap...most use rifles for deer season....and no matter what...go with what feels comfortable to u...u can always shorten the barrel...u can not make it comfortable...
    Last edited by jringo8769; 12-30-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    krag96 likes this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrfd99 View Post
    Beautiful!! A home invader would s*** themself on the spot.
    Big fan here. We call 'em Gramdpa's snowflake blowers
    I think we have the ideal gun for you in the store. As an added bonus you can show this thing when sales persons come knocking at your door, and I'll give you a money back guarantee that they'll never bother you again...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    krag96 and mjrfd99 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15333 times
    Mac, I started off hunting squirrel with a 20 gauge each season until the winter set in and most of the leaves were off the trees so then I’d switch to the .22
    I usually went with number 6 shot for squirrel, but occasionally #4 shot was just what was left to take. There was significantly more damage to the squirrel with that #4. If you decide to go with a 20 gauge for home protection, I have no doubt that it can handle the home defense task with the right load. Doing a quick search on Buds gun shop to do a feature and price comparison, there is quite a few to choose from still. Prices tended to be $350 and under for most any home defense pump shotgun except for the Benelli and the Keltec.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
    well if u like the 20 gauge....they do cost more versus the 16 and of course the 12 gauge....personally i have had a few and what i like might not be what most like...for a defense gun....i would spend huge money with all the fancy lights and what not....remington 870's are hard to beat and a youth model is very easy to use as they are smaller ....i am always looking for a deal and anyone who knows me i love old guns...i about 2 years ago got a very early winchester model 12 ....got it for a song and that is my defense shotgun...but i always keep a good loaded pistol near me too....it will all depend on what u like and your budget....
    God Bless,John

hey i totally agree with going out and handling many different models....where i live...shotguns are so cheap...most use rifles for deer season....and no matter what...go with what feels comfortable to u...u can always shorten the barrel...u can not make it comfortable...
    I would second the remington 870 20ga in a youth model...as a excellent optioin if it meets your overall parameters (reliable,cheap,pump,4rd,) .....
    Last edited by ttazzman; 12-30-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    jringo8769 and Dr.Rob like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links