Colt Forum banner

When is a K/L Frame grip not a K/L??? Insight needed.

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  sanleonkid 
#1 ·
I have a S&W 686-4 2 1/2 " 6 shot revolver. I picked up a pair of Jay Scott #20 Stag Grips. Too small to cover the frame. I was on the web last weekend looking into REAL stag grips . Sent an email at 1AM Central asking if they would be willing to fax/mail me a tracing of the grips and got a response back from NY almost immediately. Owner was in the warehouse working. We ended up talking on the phone and he stated that for the 686 I would need a "L" frame grip and that the K/L would not fit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on the differences between the two and why so any grips are stated as K/L some K and others just L

#2 ·
They should be the same outside square-butt or round-butt.

#3 ·
20-S
S&W, K frame, .38 Special M&P; .38 Special M&P Airweight; .357 Magnum M&P; K38/K22 Masterpiece; K38/K22 Combat Masterpiece; .357 Magnum Combat; K22 Masterpiece MRF; .38 M&P Stainless; .357 Magnum M&P Stainless; .357 Magnum Combat Stainless; K38 Combat Masterpiece Stainless; Models 10,12,13,14,15,17,18,19,48,64,65,66 & 67; Square Butt, Laminated Stag

Looking closer at the faint writing inside the JAy Scott grips it state MEDIUM FRAME....... Is a straight K not a K?L ?

#7 ·
I don't think there is a difference in S&w grip panels for the K or L grip frames, and I always figured the "slash" between K / L was intended to be replacing the word "or" ?

The L frame introduced in 1980 does have a more substantial (larger) frame in the cylinder area, as that area was proven somewhat fragile in the K frame revolvers that were constantly used with full-house ammo. The L also was introduced with a full length underlug or "ejector housing".

#9 ·
Soooo I found extra set of what I DIDN'T think were S&W grips. Wrong box. Anyway, these are definitely marked K and cover the rounded grip. I'm pretty sure now that the Jay Scots are just mis marked. Thanks for pointing out that the L frame is just larger ABOVE the grip and not two different grips sizes. I feel a lot more confident pulling the trigger (get the gun pun) on the Stags made for K Frame. I just think that this 686 NEEDS a set of stags.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.