Seeking Advice on Whether or Not to Fire Previously Unfired Revolvers
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Seeking Advice on Whether or Not to Fire Previously Unfired Revolvers

The kids are raised and I'm rediscovering my love for firearms (finally have a few discretionary dollars). I've recently acquired a few unfired Colt revolvers from the original owner's widow (former owner was a friend). One is a stainless Anaconda 44 mag. with a 6" barrel and the other is a stainless King Cobra .357 with a 6" barrel. On one hand, I want to keep them in their current pristine condition. And on the other hand, I want to fire the hell out them.

You guys are far more experienced in the hobby than I am, and I'd really value your insight.

Bob

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Since I am close to 70, to me they arent classic guns. I would shoot them If I wanted to.

Member #
    Liked
    489 times
    I would shoot them myself. But if they are truly unfired, you could probably sell them and buy others and have enough left over for some ammo. Personally I'd just go ahead and shoot em and take care of them. They're both nice guns and should be a blast to shoot (pun intended)
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Just my opinion, but those were manufactured to be used and given the opportunity to roar. They were not manufactured to look pretty, although they sure do look good.

I understand the desire of those that collect to have the best condition and mint status.

That is not why I own firearms. I own them to have them at my side, be my companion, share stories and cherish memories about them. Yeah I know I sound a little weird, but I have several, mostly duty sidearms, that I have very special memories of, either situations where they were brought to bear to protect my life or others and some that bring a smile when I recall an "amazing story" involving the firearm.

Now you can take my opinion and $1.00 and get a candy bar (a small one these days). But I say let them roar.
    Yours in Service 1601
    I am a sheepdog!
    I wish I had a magic bullet for your problem but all I have are hollow points.

Member #
    Liked
    965 times
    Do you want to keep them unfired then let your kids make money? or Do you want to have fun?? Take em,blast away,and enjoy them.God Bless....Mike

Member #
    Liked
    804 times
    Shoot them all Just take care of them, and don't scratch or otherwise mar them up, and they should hold their value well. So you'll still have a great investment and have the joy of shooting them as well.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I would buy a shooter and use that. Unfired collector guns are getting more rare each day and I would keep them that way.
    I sold my unfired Python for $2000 and bought 2 fired, but like new Pythons for the price of the unfired one. The condition of both fired Pythons was very close to being unfired. It took a while to find Pythons in this condition and at this price ($950 and $957-one with box, a Custom Shop model, and both with factory perfect wood stocks) but it is obviously possible.
    This is my suggestion and am much happier than if I keep the new gun and shot it.

ace

Member #
    Liked
    1519 times

Cool

i'm with skeeter on this. i look at collectability and both guns are collectible. if you want to shoot, buy a shooter.

Member #
    Liked
    890 times
    Is there an attachment related to their being left to you by a friend? Did he keep them unfired as collector pieces?
    I personally do not like to have guns that I never fire though I do have a few. 90% of my toys get excercised when ever possible.
    If you have no sentimental attchment you might sell them toa collector and fund a pair of nice shooters.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I vote to shoot 'em...It wouldn't hurt my feelings if there was no such thing as an unfired collector gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links