It was a GOOD day, it was a Marlin day.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: It was a GOOD day, it was a Marlin day.

Sut

Member #
    Liked
    285 times

Much Modified Mountie

This Mountie, a favorite field carry .22 cal rifle, has been my most fired rifle. Ser. #L303x. I don't know it's age or mfg. date. I got it in a trade, in 1955, and used it extensively since. I liked it so well that I've destroyed it's "collectiblety", by setting it up exactly as I want it. Thanks for letting me share it with you.
    Sut
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    IMG_0736.jpg

1947 with Ballard rifling, rear peep is Lyman 66Mc and a gold bead front sight. lWestern Silver grays.
    Last edited by Maia007; 08-15-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    759 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    This Mountie, ser. # L3039, was acquired in a trade in 1955, and used extensively since, is my most, field carried, and fired, rifle. I've checkered it, added accessories to it, added several sight options, and modified it to suit me exactly. I've destroyed it's value as a collector's firearm, but it's the only firearm that I own, that's set up exactly as I want it.
    Sut
    Oldguns.net has the L prefix as 1954

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8277 times
    I seem to have trouble getting good photos of a complete rifle.
    When it stops raining I'll take another stab at getting a full picture of my 39-A

Back in the mid-2000's I realized that I didn't have a single .22 rifle and started looking.
    I'd had several Ruger 10/22's and several Marlin 39-A's, and decided I'd look for another 39-A.
    The 39-M carbines were just too light for me and I preferred the pistol grip and longer barrel of the 39-A.
    I'd customized my 80's Marlin's by installing Neidner checkered steel butt plates and grips caps, added receiver sights and plain blade front sights, and gave the wood my Min-Wax Antique Oil finish.
    Stupidly traded them off for one reason or another.

I was shocked at the prices of good used 39-A Marlin's and had started to give up when a friend told me he had his families 39-A that had been used by all the kid in his family and wanted me to check it out since it had some problems.
    I figured it would be a wreck.
    After going through it I found the wood had a crumbly varnish coating that I could scrape off with a finger nail, the hammer and trigger had been ruined by an attempt at "improving" the trigger pull, most of the screw slots were chewed up, and the finish was largely turning brown with a small amount of very fine pitting on the barrel.
    I was amazed that the bore was mint and shiny with no signs of wear or muzzle damage, nor was there any serious wood or metal damage other than a small splinter of missing wood from the stock where it met the receiver and tang.

I gave him an estimate of what it would cost to get new parts and he counter offered to sell it to me for $50.00. I almost sprained my hand writing the check.
    I rebuilt it, refinished the wood with Min-Wax, installed a different front sight ramp, built a blade sight, installed a Williams receiver sight, installed a fancy rear sight filler in the barrel dovetail, installed a new hammer and trigger, installed all new screws, and had it re-blued.
    Now I sort of wish I hadn't had it re-blued but the finish was looking pretty ratty on the barrel and lever, with some original blue still on the receiver.
    I'd like to find an original late 40's to early 50's hammer but those I can't find one.

This 1950 model has all milled parts, even the springs, cartridge cut-off, and bullet guide. Only the coil mainspring and right receiver wall bullet guide are stamped parts.
    The inside of the stock still has the slightly charred wood from where Marlin induction heated the receiver tangs to red heat and pressed the stock on to "burn in" a tight fit.
    This was when American guns were still built RIGHT.

Marlin Receiver Left.JPG

Marlin Receiver Right 2.JPG

Marlin Stock Left 2.JPG

Marlin Stock Right.JPG
    Monsai52 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1266 times
    Fine rifle, been a fan for many years................Jim
    marlin 92.jpg
    Gun room 011.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images