Colt Forum banner

Resin-Ivory+S™ SAA Gun Grip Panels: End Grain Photo

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Cozmo 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks to Yahoody's comments about this new synthetic ivory, I ordered a couple panels for making SAA grips. I polished the end grain of one piece and I finally was able to get a decently focused picture of it that I am posting:

Linens Textile Beige Ceiling Wood

Pink Linens Mattress pad Textile Paper

See less See more
#7 ·
That's very interesting.
Up until now the most "real" looking faux ivory was white paper Micarta. This is made from sheets of fine quality paper and that gives it a grain structure.

For the past few years I've had trouble finding this type of Micarta.
The last time I bought some "paper Micarta" it turned out to be made of ground up paper, and was a soft, crumbly substance.
I found a company in Canada that sold the sheet paper type, but apparently they went out of business.

Since I no longer make grips or knife handles I don't need any, but would like to know where to get it just in case.

#10 ·
Just for info, I did a search and found that someone is still making paper Micarta.

This makes an extremely hard knife handle or pistol grip, and is completely waterproof.
Custom knife makers preferred paper Micarta for handles due to the look and durability.
People have stated in the past that you could age it in strong tea to a old ivory look.
I never had any luck with that, but I still have two small strips of some I bought in the 80's and it's aged to a old ivory color.

It's a little difficult to work due to the hardness and tendency to chip on the back edges when filing. You also don't want to breath the fumes if power sawing or drilling.

Paper Micarta

Apparently some of the knifemaker supply houses are again selling it. The "Mastodon" type is said to look very much like real ivory.......

https://www.knifemaking.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ivory+micarta

Alternative Ivory

#11 ·
Tony, I have several sets of Buffalo bone grips and a few sets of Giraffe bone grips. Some of those have an ivory appearance, but without the end-grain. The feel of the two types of bone grips are not as much like ivory as is the new synthetic ivory. Of course, all of these materials can be made into great looking and durable gun grips.

#12 ·
I have, presentation walnut grips, elk antler with no stag showing, Big Horn sheep, pearl and ivory grips. While all are nice grips the ivory has by far the best feel in my hand.

I generally shoot guns with ivory grips given the choice. But every grip material I own gets shot but the pearl. Gotta say the most recent Resin-Ivory is so close in feel to real ivory that I doubt I could tell the difference without actually knowing what material was used to make the grip. Even if I could tell it would take me a while to figure it out. Not even in the same ball park as the old Tru-Ivory synthetic, which I could spot a room away.

I have several pairs of real ivory sitting here waiting for the right project guns. I think I have found the guns. Real shooters these. But now I am undecided on what grip material I want to use.....real ivory or Resin-ivory.

#18 ·
dandak said:
1. Will it take on the yellow color as it ages?
2. Does it feel WARM like real Ivory does when you hold it?
No clue on how it will age. But it feels like real ivory. I handle ivory gripped SAA guns every day and I'd have a hard time telling the difference blind folded...if I actually could tell the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.