Grizzly Bear attack near Grand Tetons
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Grizzly Bear attack near Grand Tetons

Member #
    Liked
    5852 times

Grizzly Bear attack near Grand Tetons

If you haven't seen it, a hunting guide from Jackson, WY was killed by a Grizzly on Friday near the Grand Tetons. He and his client had shot an elk the evening before, and went back for it the next day. While working on it, the bears attacked, switching between the two at one time. They had a pistol, but couldn't get a shot off for some reason. The guide was found Sat, dead.

Now I'm going to WY in 1 week, to visit my daughter on a field assignment. We're going to camp in the back country, in (guess where) the Grand Tetons. Can't carry a gun on the plane, I'll be travelling light with just carry on. She has bear spray. All I have that might work is a .44 New Service anyway, for small arms.

https://buckrail.com/two-elk-hunters...still-missing/

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2350 times
    I would buy a Glock 10mm for the trip. 13 +1 rounds. You can go through TSA and check it in.

Member #
    Liked
    1445 times
    The thing is the guy that survived had a gun and ran away. The guide did not have a gun and got mauled. Both bears will killed Sunday morning
    krag96 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2234 times
    I saw that pretty bad-- thought about what I would take traveling up there in bar country as well.

I have a 41 mag but its a 4 inch, may not cut the mustard due to the short tube. 12 gauge would be good I think.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...k-10mm-pistol/

Here a story about another bear attack down in New Mexico and a Glock 10 mm. The man who was attacked had the wrong ammo in the Glock and thought twice it seems, before pulling the trigger. He did good and got out alive- not sure what I would have done.
    Last edited by Ugly; 09-17-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    Dodge1942 and krag96 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2533 times
    Wow, the guy with the gun ran away. Holy shit. Anyways, if you won’t carry it in a checked bag, you can overnight to yourself in care of your daughter.
    Rick Bowles, Matchlock and krag96 like this.
    SKW

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    If you haven't seen it, a hunting guide from Jackson, WY was killed by a Grizzly on Friday near the Grand Tetons. He and his client had shot an elk the evening before, and went back for it the next day. While working on it, the bears attacked, switching between the two at one time. They had a pistol, but couldn't get a shot off for some reason. The guide was found Sat, dead.

Now I'm going to WY in 1 week, to visit my daughter on a field assignment. We're going to camp in the back country, in (guess where) the Grand Tetons. Can't carry a gun on the plane, I'll be travelling light with just carry on. She has bear spray. All I have that might work is a .44 New Service anyway, for small arms.

https://buckrail.com/two-elk-hunters...still-missing/
    My son worked for the Park Service in Grand Teton as a botanist for 4 years, often in the back country. All he was allowed to carry was bear spray.

Member #
    Liked
    9620 times
    Leaving any carcass overnight in bear country was likely a mistake...

Remember, the further North you go, the more likely you are to run into something that'll eat your horse.

An old observation:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking.

The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them.

This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered.

Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area.

People should be able to recognize the difference between Black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur.

Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
    Last edited by dogface6; 09-17-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    693 times
    I used to do an annual deer/elk hunt in the Scapegoat Wilderness out of Lincoln, MT. When I didn't have my rifle (Browning in .300 Winchester Magnum), I always carried the S&W shown below for protection. I don't know if it would have stopped a Grizzly, but six 240 grain JSPs would at least slow him or her down. I also knew to give them a wide berth.

Bill

Fortibus55 and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2457 times
    I watched a documentary once on what's the best thig to carry for defense of bear attacks. To sum up the guy said the most effective thing that people should carry is bear spray and they showed how far it sprays bla la bla. BUT......at the very end of the show the reporter asked him what HE personally carries in the woods. What do you think he said??? Yeah you were right, he keeps it in a holster.
    Every King gun deserves a set of Ropers!

Member #
    Liked
    1445 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 73shovel View Post
    My son worked for the Park Service in Grand Teton as a botanist for 4 years, often in the back country. All he was allowed to carry was bear spray.
    That is nuts.
    Hootch56, Ugly, Matchlock and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links