Wanted to get a letter for a Savage 1907...BUT...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Wanted to get a letter for a Savage 1907...BUT...

Member #
    Liked
    629 times

Wanted to get a letter for a Savage 1907...BUT...

I'm more than a little annoyed about this so I just wanted to vent....

I picked up what I hope is a French Contract 1907 Savage and contacted customer service through the Savage website about the process for getting a letter- couldn't find the info anywhere on my own. The response was to send all the applicable info that we would send for any of these letters to their historical dept. I specifically asked about a fee and he replied that the fee varies depending on the amount of information they are able to find and that they'd contact me and tell me the fee amount. I thought that was VERY weird, but went with it, and included my mailing address and email address in hopes that might save a few days.
    I sent my letter off the day I picked up the gun on December 7 and waited...checking the mail every day and getting more and more impatient...today I get what is basically a boilerplate letter (other than the date) that details what they can identify and warns me that some times there isn't a lot of info but that the letter costs $65 and I can expect to wait 8 weeks- which is the amount of time I have already waited. I'm pretty unsatisfied about it and sent them back the old letter, the email from the moron in Customer Service telling me the incorrect process, a check, a new photo, and a new letter asking if they can expedite this since I have already waited 8 weeks.
    I'm not at all happy about this.
    Sorry for the rant.
    Here is a pic, just because...IMG_3167.jpg
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3056 times
    This came with mt gun when I bought it so I have no idea how long it took.

824tsv, ei8ht, deyomatic and 2 others like this.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Member #
    Liked
    2711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcat6 View Post
    This came with mt gun when I bought it so I have no idea how long it took.

To my limited knowledge of Savage firearms and factory letters, Mr. Callahan retired in late 2016 and all research material was returned to the Savage factory. So, it's possible the personal attention of a single individual has been lost. Just a guess .
    saintclair and ei8ht like this.
    My areas of expertise are firearms and Latin females. Not necessarily in that order.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    615 times
    It was my understanding he had rights/or owned The ledgers. I may be wrong as I only ever ordered one savage letter. A numbers years back, I ran across a Savage Fox model B 100% new in box. It was so cute, short barrels, looks like a coach gun. Has fantastic looking cut checkering. I examined the gun and thought it was factory. Others questioned it. I couldn’t see any alterations and it was stone mint, heck, even box and paperwork mint. So I lettered it and it was factory original. Believe it was only offered 1 year. He even sent a copy of the Ad showing the models, only problem was he highlighted the wrong gun lol. Just an honest mistake. I forgot about that jewel till I saw this. I know it’s exact location, about 20 feet from where I’m currently sitting, haha.
    ei8ht and deyomatic like this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1606 times
    I did get my Savage lettered in the days of John Callahan too, and it was both fast and very inexpensive compared to the “big two”.

For what it’s worth:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...torian-retires

See last post:

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr.../topics/890313
    ei8ht likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    425 times
    The letter costs $35.00 You send a letter to Savage Arms Historical Services 100 Springdale Road Westfield, MA 01085 with serial #, caliber and model and of course all of your information. Last time I sent for a letter 03/20/18 it took five weeks. They cash your check just about the time they're ready to send it.
    Rich N, Recusant and guy sajer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14244 times
    If you look at the Callahan letter above he tells you what it is, when it was made, shipped and to whom. The rest is boiler plate, which you already know, like a Jinks letter for a S&W. The good news is the lanyard ring hole (loop missing) suggests it is French contract pistol. The bad news is I've rarely been successful being snarky to someone from whom I want something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1606 times
    On a side note, you will learn never to contact customer service of any of the large gun makers if you have any question relating in any way to their historical products. Try to get the info in the forums.

They are focused on what the company is making and selling now. But they don’t want to disappoint people, so they helpfully give out info that’s wrong.

Frugal folks who don’t want to spend the money on a letter can actually get a year of manufacture from S&W customer service. Then they post in the forums, and we usually ascertain that the date is years or decades off, if, as happens regularly too, the model wasn’t completely misidentified.
    Colt-SL and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    629 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelRod1 View Post
    The letter costs $35.00 You send a letter to Savage Arms Historical Services 100 Springdale Road Westfield, MA 01085 with serial #, caliber and model and of course all of your information. Last time I sent for a letter 03/20/18 it took five weeks. They cash your check just about the time they're ready to send it.

The letter they sent back to me yesterday says the fee is $65. Thanks for all the replies. I'll post back when I hear something....in two months!

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
    The letter they sent back to me yesterday says the fee is $65. Thanks for all the replies. I'll post back when I hear something....in two months!
    I've got quite a few letters that I've ordered over the past 5 years my most recent one was back in July with an increased cost of $35.

I sent off for one about two weeks ago and included a check for 45 because I heard they had gone up to 45. I sure hope I don't get my request back from them but 45 is the correct price from what I understand, there's a guy on GunBroker right now it's got several Savages out there with letters that he's ordered for each one and he quoted me the price of $45 so that's what I mailed Savage with my request.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    ei8ht likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links