Colt Forum banner

I've been schooled by a Gunbroker "expert"

3K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  mentallapse 
#1 ·
This "gentleman" has been writing me ad-nauseam regarding a High Standard I have listed on Gunbroker for a friend. I won't bore you with the entire diatribe but the Reader's Digest version follows:

"The Ser# 1,217,648 on the frame [of your gun] indicates it was shipped as a 103 Sport King in 1962. In light of the new evidence and FACTS,The only Right thing to do would be to cancel all bids and cancel the auction. If it was me, I wouldn't want to perpetuate a fraud."

I'm not fond of being called a fraud and I'll be the first to admit that High Standard pistols aren't my forte but I'm not a complete dolt either. The image below shows the gun I have listed (blue background) and a 1962 Sport King.

Do the two frames look alike to anyone? I'll leave it up to you folks.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Rick, it appears to have serrations on the front of the grip frame, though not extremely clear. That being said, it would have serrations on the rear also, most likely. If that is the case it is a supermatic series pistol and not a sport king as your writer states. The trigger adjustment screw on the right side of the frame is only found on the extremely limited Supermatics like your "space gun" and some of the Olympics in that era. For someone to tell you that you are fraudulently listing a 103 Sport King as something else and tell you that you should withdraw it, would lead me to believe that they either have something similar that they don't want to compete against you or they hope to be able to buy it cheaper later....maybe even making an offer. Keep you listing as is. I don't really know what you are listing it as but it is commonly know as a Supermatic Space Gun. I don't have a book on Hi Standards but I've owned quite a few including a few Supermatic Olympics from that early 60's era. That lighter colored adjustment screw is a "tell" that the frame is a special Supermatic. In actuality, the frames of the two pistols shown are exactly the same shape and size. They appear different because of the scale of the photo's that is different and they were taken at different angles. Any difference is an optical illusion. But that is true of most Hi Standard frames from the late 40's till the military style became the norm. All frames with the front lock button in front and slightly up from the trigger guard are identically sized. Only the details differ.

#8 ·
I looked at your ad on gunbroker and in my opinion there's nothing even approaching "Fraud". You honestly stated that "Supermatic" was missing from the frame and that it could be a replacement due to a crack which is most probably correct or that it could have been made for an employee. The only thing that I noticed overall that made me pause was the fact that the slide has no serial number which could be for the same reasons stated. There is no picture of the top of the slide and if there were, I would expect the slide to have serrations down the center of the slide from front to back. I tend to think the person who is complaining to you is involved in one of the competing model 102/103 pistols as there are a bunch on right now. Yours of course is the lowest price I found but probably represents a better value than most. Good Luck.

#11 ·
Appear to be 2 different frames, besides the obvious screw above trigger, yours has a arched line below the serial number and the other is straight, I know nothing about these pistols just pointing out the obvious diffrences I can tell between the pair.

#12 ·
Some Sport kings do have the wavy line above the trigger guard as evidenced by this 103 model on gunbroker, 806376213. The slide is not cut for a rear site on the Space gun frame but the frame itself is similar less the overtravel screw I previously mentioned. If that frame was replaced it could well be a Sport King frame wibh the obvious modification of overtravel screw and other less obvious modifications to upgrade the frame.

#16 ·
If you can, block him and file a complaint for abusive PM's with GB. Oh, and if Mr. self-appointed expert wants to sign up here, we can talk!

#18 ·
If it’s worth the trouble to you , Rick , I’m sure gunbroker would take the spurs off of mr. High Standard for you. To tell you what to do with your listing, and to call you a fraud is out of bounds.
But the good news is your reputation will not be bruised by the words of a stranger. If he only knew the amounts of money and valuable items that you deal with.. just based on trust .. on a regular basis .. he has no idea.
just let that one go and and if he comes back to pester for a round two, then gunbroker would have a case to suspend or ban most likely.

#28 ·
And the horse he rode in on...speaking of which, I can only surmise at this point which end he most resembles.

#21 ·
He can’t be that much of a gunbroker exprert. Because if he was he’d know that as soon as the first bid is placed a seller cannot ‘cancel’ that bid nor the auction. That first bid freezes everything and the chips will fall where they will.
The only thing a seller can do is ‘add information’ if they feel they missed something or misrepresented the item by not knowing it exactly. I’ve seen many auctions that garner dozens of bids and then all the sudden see info added along the lines of ‘its come to my attn that this gun has been refinished and is not original’. The auction will still proceed and it’ll be up to the bidders and seller to make an agreement after the auction closes. So with Mr Expert telling you to cancel the bids and auction tells me he ain’t one.
I know nothing about High Standard pistols.

#23 ·
Informative thread guys. I've once or twice contacted a guy because I had a question about something I thought was wrong but wanted clarification on, calling someone a fraud is bull. I think if I were you Rick, I would file a complaint against the guy just based off of the fact that he was both telling you your listing was fraudulent while bidding on it.

#25 ·
Unfortunately when something is listed on any forum or auction site you will have the “keyboard experts” and “John Q. Public” criticizing your items.

Posting pictures, an honest description, and giving honest answers is all you can do.

Don’t let him get to you.

#29 ·
From past experience with GB, I know they could care less about what one guy says. As for being a fraud, I was once accused of faking a Winchester takedown. Sure wish I was capable of being guilty.

Reactions: ei8ht
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.