Its been a year...or two...still despise GB searching
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arjay

Thread: Its been a year...or two...still despise GB searching

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12473
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,630
    Liked
    859 times

    Its been a year...or two...still despise GB searching

    Gave it awhile, but still do not like how searches on gunbroker work. Sure wish they would go back to the old way. Currently I'm looking for another 1866 Winchester. So I type in 1866 Winchester and click the no reserve button like I always do (I have learned a reserve GB auction means the seller does not want to part with his item). I get a lot of stuff like this:
    Winchester Wildcat 22LR 40Gr Lead Round Nose

    that shows up in the searches. AAARRGGHHH. I also want a 2 band 1866 trapdoor, so in the old days I would just type in 1866 and be able to look at both the trapdoors and the Winchesters, now it brings up :
    DW Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander 45acp Like New!!

    and hundreds of others. Did it stop me form going to gunbroker? No, but it did limit me. I often don't want to deal with it and will stop looking for awhile. This has bit me...I have missed guns I DEFINITELY would have bid on.

    Whew! Rant over.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    29781
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Camarillo, ca
    Posts
    818
    Liked
    620 times
    I hate it too. Makes the search hard.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Member #
    29305
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Occupied Territory aka the People's Republic of Maryland
    Posts
    7,811
    Liked
    12290 times
    There's sites other than Gunbrokers though it's probably the biggest and most well known. Try Guns International (which is not an auction site operation) and there's other auction sites as well. Subscribe to Auction Zip and you'll get notices of other auctions but you'll have to weed out the non-gun auctions within the auction notices. I've found local auctions to often be very good hunting grounds.

    You our can try Googling "Winchester 1866 for sale" and see what it brings up. I've done pretty good with Gunbrokers over time but they keep changing the format parameters making it tougher on the consumer. I don't go there nearly as much anymore.
    Socialism is like a Jedi Mind Trick...it only works on the weak minded. SnidelyWhiplash
    I'm an American. Your approval is not required. SnidelyWhiplash
    Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws. Plato



  4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member

    Member #
    8990
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    6,641
    Liked
    4201 times
    I agree. I remember that when I would search for Star Pistols the listings for Star pistols would pop up. Okay sometimes you'd get a few other listings with Star in the title that weren't Star pistols, but where a Shooting Star, etc. Not any more. now you get a whole list of options to filter and Star in under other manufacturers: Huh!

    At least with some items, and that is if GB has them in their filters, you can go to: rifles; Lever action; Winchester; Model 86, 94, etc.; caliber.

    Its not just GB. Midway USA use to have a decent search engine and you could actually scroll down and click on what you wanted to look at. Not anymore, everything is grouped together.

    And as soon as you get use to a web site they change it, and being a computer dummy its like learning how to walk again.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

  6. #5
    Senior Member

    Member #
    26430
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    oregun
    Posts
    1,730
    Liked
    2168 times
    It's a sign of the times in my opinion, they push products to sell to you to make more money. Kinda like how a site will follow you to your next site still trying to push what you just looked at.

  7. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    2398
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,638
    Liked
    1376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    Gave it awhile, but still do not like how searches on gunbroker work. Sure wish they would go back to the old way. Currently I'm looking for another 1866 Winchester. So I type in 1866 Winchester and click the no reserve button like I always do (I have learned a reserve GB auction means the seller does not want to part with his item). I get a lot of stuff like this:
    Winchester Wildcat 22LR 40Gr Lead Round Nose

    that shows up in the searches. AAARRGGHHH. I also want a 2 band 1866 trapdoor, so in the old days I would just type in 1866 and be able to look at both the trapdoors and the Winchesters, now it brings up :
    DW Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander 45acp Like New!!

    and hundreds of others. Did it stop me form going to gunbroker? No, but it did limit me. I often don't want to deal with it and will stop looking for awhile. This has bit me...I have missed guns I DEFINITELY would have bid on.

    Whew! Rant over.
    yep,they fixed it til it broke
    dandak likes this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    29305
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Occupied Territory aka the People's Republic of Maryland
    Posts
    7,811
    Liked
    12290 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 459459 View Post
    It's a sign of the times in my opinion, they push products to sell to you to make more money. Kinda like how a site will follow you to your next site still trying to push what you just looked at.
    That may be the intent but for me at least and maybe others it's pushing me away from the site. Before, if say I did a search for "Colt Trooper" I got maybe a half-dozen pages of Colt Troopers to peruse. Now I get dozens of pages full of things completely unrelated to my search terms. It's too much of a pain to try and set the filters to trim out the extraneous stuff so I tend not to go there very often anymore. Ebay has gotten much the same.
    Socialism is like a Jedi Mind Trick...it only works on the weak minded. SnidelyWhiplash
    I'm an American. Your approval is not required. SnidelyWhiplash
    Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws. Plato



  9. #8
    Senior Member

    Member #
    26430
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    oregun
    Posts
    1,730
    Liked
    2168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
    That may be the intent but for me at least and maybe others it's pushing me away from the site. Before, if say I did a search for "Colt Trooper" I got maybe a half-dozen pages of Colt Troopers to peruse. Now I get dozens of pages full of things completely unrelated to my search terms. It's too much of a pain to try and set the filters to trim out the extraneous stuff so I tend not to go there very often anymore. Ebay has gotten much the same.
    Ya it torques me when I am looking for one item and they flood my screen with "you may be interested in this". My daughter loaded an app on my tablet so there is no tracking by these sales people. It's working so far..


 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. It's been a long time searching...
    By buckmark55 in forum Python
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 01:28 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM
  3. still searching for those grips..........
    By nicknack in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 09:09 PM
  4. ...Yes...its alive...ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!
    By charlene in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
  5. Still searching...Maybe
    By Kid Sopris in forum Reloading & Range Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2010, 06:04 AM
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
We are not associated with Colt's Manufacturing LLC. We are an enthusiast site comprised of Colt Fans.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.