A choice between 2 family colts...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: A choice between 2 family colts...

Member #
    Liked
    1314 times

A choice between 2 family colts...

I have to choose berween 2 colts that have been in my family for completely different lengths of time.

1 in a 1st gen SAA in 38-40 that is pretty patina'd and worn, but action and everything is in good shape. Its been in my family since early 1920s. It was one of my great uncle's guns when working on the ranch.

The other is an, as far as I know unfired, 98%(it may be 99% but I try to be real conservative when it cones to condition] condition Colt National match made in 1960. It was given to my grandfather BNIB by a neighbor rancher in appreciation for my grandfather letting him water his livestock on my grandparents place during the 50s drought in Texas when his tanks went dry. My grandfather promptly put it in his display cabinet right next to his service 1911, and as far as anyone knows, he never fired it or took it out of that case except to occassionally oil it.

I am leaning towards the NM just because I like the ranching story connection to the 50s drought, which ranchers still talk about, even after the 2011-14 drought.

But I know less about 1960 NMs then I do 1st gen colts, so any advice would be appreciated.

No I can't get both, the other gun goes to my cousin.

Member #
    Liked
    3754 times
    That would be easy for me.
    A carried, working gun with family history or one that merely sat on display in a box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    606 times
    The nib National match is worth at least double the SAA in terms of monetary value. Nib 60s NMs go anywhere from 2k to 6k depending on near perfect guns/sleeves, paperwork, etc. The top guns have the goodies plus no takedown mark. Some refer to it as an “idiot mark”. Guess I’m an idiot as I’ve done it myself. The takedown mark is a big deduction on these. It’s the line on frame from the slide stop being rotated down. If you start carrying it and shooting then they would probably be about even money, probably around that 2k mark. I’d take the National match but I never was much of a single action guy. They are growing on me again tho. The service 1911 is the one I’d be after if it was my fathers, I know that’s not part of the option tho.
    Last edited by big_gus; 04-14-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1927 times
    I would take the one with connection to my Grandfather. I loved my Grandfather as he was just great to me and having something that was his would bring back wonderful memories. That's what old men like me have now that the work days are over, lots of good memories.

Member #
    Liked
    10771 times
    Record the information on the NM for future generations, and take it.
    kenhwind and Hootch56 like this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7001 times
    Which one had more meaning to it's previous owner ?

Maybe your cousin would consider selling/trading the 2nd gun to you .
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2328 times
    My Grandfather's gun would mean more to me even if it was worth less than the other.

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    Which ever one you like the most.

Charlie

Member #
    Liked
    1314 times
    That is what I am wrestling with. The NM was actually my grandfather's gun and I feel more connected to and is in much nicer shape.

But the 1st gen SAA 38-40 which belonged to his brother and has set in my Uncle's safe the last 40 years was an actual working gun and is an SAA....

Not complaining about the decision. I am thankful my Uncle has held onto so many family guns and is letting them go in his 80s rather then letting it be a mad scramble and fight after he is gone.

Its just a tougher choice then I thought.
    Hootch56 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1206 times
    Having been raised in South Texas during the drought of the 1940-1950's, your grandfather's pistol would be an easy choice.
    Those were very hard time and many, many ranchers went under, financially and physically.
    That pistol is more than just a piece of machinery, it is a symbol of your grandfather's character, integrity and values.
    Honor him and his life.
    Family is more important than $$.

rayb
    "Low End Accumulator.........Ships aren't built for harbours, & guns aren't built for safes"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links