Project tease...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Project tease...

Member #
    Liked
    12609 times

Project tease...

I found this one really cheap at Cabella's some time back. Couple hundred less than my dealer cost at Cimarron. Never liked the Rooster Shooter that much but did like the grips or at least thought I liked the grips. So I brought it home. Cosmetics turned out to be a non started but the gun shot so well I kept it around. And boy howdy did it ever shoot!

I knew it would eventually make a good project gun. Just now getting back to it. A few weeks at Paul Persinger's and then I'll finish it up.

Why I kept the gun around. From Sept '18.

"The more I shot this gun, the better the gun performed and the better I shot. Practice and trigger control was a big part of that. But seldom are two guns the same. All of them take me some to get use to them. And the fact I needed to shoot some full house .45 Colt loads again. As much as I have a newly acquired taste for light recoiling guns the 165gr loads proved that yet again. My right hand is still a little tight from well over 300 " heavy" loads (230s and 255s that typically chrono from a 4 3/4" @ around 900 and 950fps ) out of this gun yesterday.

Target at the left was my best 25 yard, 12 rounds of 255s with Unique. My best effort out of many groups. Hold was 6:00 just below edge of the red.. Target on the right was the first 15 yard target of 12 rounds using a .454" 165gr bullets and Cowboy Special brass and holding high at 12:00 just above the edge of the red. I stopped shooting that ammo knowing I wasn't gonna get a lot better than that yesterday. "

Here is the same project gun today....and some of my last ivory to be carved and fitted.

Likely with something carved on the left grip from this page of Persinger's catalog. Tough decision there.

Last edited by Yahoody; 04-21-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Uberti?
    Yahoody likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1506 times
    I love the Rooster grips. They feel great to me. What did you not like about them ? What is Paul doing to the gun?
    jringo8769 and Yahoody like this.

NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12609 times
    Yes originally a Uberti-Cimarron, "Rooster Shooter".

Paul is carving and fitting my ivory as a one piece grip. Nothing left to be done past that. POA, timing and trigger are perfect. Exceptional in fact. FWIW I'll have the original Rooster Shooter grips for sale shortly.
    Last edited by Yahoody; 04-21-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    jringo8769 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1506 times
    Well, you just have to go with the Helfricht Longhorn Steer. Come on man You using real ivory or the imitation stuff?

NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1854 times
    knowing Yahoody, I would guess real Ivory.

Nice Shooting.

Craig
    Yahoody and SHOOTER13 like this.
    NRA Life Member
    Colt Collectors Association
    CCDL Member
    Colt Woodsman Collector

Member #
    Liked
    12609 times
    Ivory? Is that an actual question

Great Grandfather was one of the first to raise registered Herefords in OK and N. Texas. Was told he helped start the Breeders Assoc there in the early 1900s. So if it is gonna be a bull gonna have to look more like this. Have yet to ask about different profile. But I might

But was liking the long horn skull or the Mexican Eagle from the catalog.

I understand the question about real ivory on a Uberti though. Engravers like Adams and Adams or Phil Quigley don't care what they are carving on. Price is all the same no matter who made the gun. When the ivory is worth more than the cost of the gun or the engraving many times over the price of the gun one might wonder. But the gun is just a tool. If the tool lives up to your requirement then real ivory or hand engraving seemingly should fit the gun no matter the original buy in price.

I could add grips to a Colt or engraving for that matter. I have Colt's with both and a few with neither. I also have some very special engraved USFA guns that shoot exceptionally well that have nice ivory. And I have really nice engraved Colt's with ivory or pearl that aren't half the gun this Uberti was out of the box. 1/2 the gun because the Colt's don't shoot as good as this Uberti did from the get go.

Hearse..? Would anyone actually ask Paul Persinger to carve plastic?
    Last edited by Yahoody; 04-22-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1506 times
    I would hope not but.., the pieces in your picture look synthetic. I’m sure he could shorten the horns and put a Hereford bull on a set. Would look great! I’ve never had a Uberti that didn’t shoot perfectly out of the box. I would have no problem put ivory on a Uberti.
    lounick and Yahoody like this.

NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoody View Post
    Yes originally a Uberti-Cimarron, "Rooster Shooter".
    Cimarron markets both Uberti and Pietta made guns. It's difficult to tell from their descriptions who actually made what.
    Yahoody likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12609 times
    I would hope not but.., the pieces in your picture look synthetic.

Never thought about it, but the slabs I show do indeed look like the plastic slabs. This pair are real ivory, just pre cut for final shaping and finish work. I bought as many pairs as I could last chance I had. Still have some in reserve for the right project.

Bibby...you're right on. No clue if they are making up the Rooster gun from both companies but sure is possible. Every one I have seen to date have been Uberti FWIW and in the same serial number range.
    Last edited by Yahoody; 04-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    jringo8769 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links