Auto Magnums at the range
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Auto Magnums at the range

Member #
    Liked
    1365 times

I pride myself in shooting every gun I own, some more than others.

Those two are not the ones I shoot most, but I always get a kick (literally) out of it.

AMT (Arcadia Machine & Tool) Auto Mag in .44 AMP (Auto Mag Pistol), I believe early production, maybe 1970 but could not find evidence of production year

LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag with a 6.5 inch barrel, I believe made in 1985, but again no definite evidence of manufacture date

If anyone has knowledge or links for production dates / serial numbers of these guns, that’d be great

Shooting at 25 meters offhand

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Very interesting guns CLASSIC12, especially the Auto Mag. Never got to shoot an AutoMag, but did get to shoot an acquaintance's LAR Grizzly .45 Win. Mag. The owner was a reloader, and I suspect he took loading manual's maximum loads as his starting loads. I had owned, and reloaded for, .41 and .44 Magnum revolvers. I can't remember bullet weight or velocity now, but his .45 Win Mag Loads seemed a lot worse recoil wise than my max. .44 Mag. loads.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1959 times
    I have always wanted an Automag. A gentleman at the range let me try his a few years ago and I was all smiles.
    I would buy one of the new ones if (a) they actually do start shipping them and (b) if they were available in California which they probably won't be if they do finally start making them in quantity.
    I do have one of the Automag II pistols from AMT in .22 WMR that is a lot of fun to shoot but it doesn't really satisfy my urge to get one in a centerfire caliber.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Beautiful Automag. I know they changed hands between manufacturers several times because the company shut down so many times.
    I think the originals were marked with the "AM" logo and were made in Pasadena, California. They later production ones were marked TDE, OMC, AMT, and AMC.
    I almost got my hands on one of the North Hollywood models made by TDE, but backed out at the last second and someone else snagged it, I really wish I wouldn't have hesitated since now it's hard to find these in good condition for under $3k.
    CLASSIC12 and Uplander like this.

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Is the Automag marked as AMT on it? Number is very low. I have one in the 4000 range that is a North Hollywood TDE. Yours is probably late Pasadena or early North Hollywood TDE. Your Grizzly is a fairly low serial number ballpark mid to late 1980's. I have a real early one #77 I got as soon as they came out. Yours looks like it has the same problem all the early ones did, frame is a purple hue because they still hadn't got the process right for what they were made of.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1365 times

Thanks gents. I also always wanted one since Dirty Harry used it in Sudden Impact, but I was not prepared to shell out 5 grand. Then four years ago this one popped up at an auction with a reasonable starting price. $ 2200 later it was mine.

It is a TDE North Hollywood, but it is far from beautiful as markings are quite faint.

I suspect the infamous degrading foam of the original box followed by an aggressive cleaning and scraping took its toll.

So it’s more of a shooter than a safe queen. Although it took me three years to find ammo for it and shoot it.

Last edited by CLASSIC12; 04-25-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    The serial number is in the Pasadena range but there are quite a few N Hollywood's like yours with the low Pasadena numbers. The N Hollywood AMP's are actually some of the best guns that were put out. It was probably made in 1972 or 1973.

I have two of the new AMP's on order and they should ship next month. They will be about 19 months late getting them out but I am looking forward to receiving them. The New Auto Mag Company has really struggled getting them out. Set back after set back.

It does not look like there will ever be any California AMP's, sad situation there.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1365 times
    Can’t wait to see pics and hear your feedback about the new ones.

Member #
    Liked
    1365 times
    The local gun Smith shooting it

https://youtu.be/focfepu8LJw

And yours truely

https://youtu.be/UUTap5Doyv0
    Uplander likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    I used to shoot my automag but haven't found any ammo for it lately. The grizzly I still shoot. I have 357 magnum and 45 ACP conversion kits for it.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links