Ed McGivern and Ad Topperwein
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Ed McGivern and Ad Topperwein

Member #
    Liked
    5810 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslav View Post
    I greatly appreciate your criticism. I thought of that, and thought also of the fact that I am descended from a Slavic (jaroSLAV) culture which does not allow exact translation of the terms, especially those of a technical nature. After thinking all of that, I noticed that McGivern MIGHT have fired one or two shots from the hip, still
    "point shooting", but found it instantly necessary to raise his arm higher for the last kill. Looking at the 5 bursting bottles convinces me his arm would have had to swing about quite a bit.

I wondered also whether using "from the hip" invited stoicism. Can YOU perform the feat pictured? I've practiced point shooting for a mighty long time, and quite frankly I am God-damned poor at it. You may be better. I am enthralled by an instinct as obvious as McGivern's that I would find little interest in surmising how he might have done it better. Sorry, sometimes we Slavs just get pissed-off......

jaroslav
    In answer to your question yes I can shoot that way as well as from the hip,I'm not as good as he was but I learned how to do this from an old timer that knew him his name was Bob Howard & he gave me a copy of the book "fast & fancy revolver shooting" by McGivern when I was about 15 yrs. old,I still have it,he was also my mentor that taught me how to work on SA's,Bob & Elmer Keith were life long friends & had "cowboyed" together when they were young,both of them knew McGivern.Up until about 15 yrs. ago I taught instinct shooting classes w/a rifle as well as working as a range master & have taught quite a few people fast draw as well as teaching self defence for a couple gun organizations.
    Ugly, jaroslav, Prowbar and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5810 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslav View Post
    Hey, Jim, just perusing your info: are you aware of a guy about as far east of Kingman as you are, north of I-40, you get to his place via the exit at the truck stop, he has a veritable treasure trove of old Ford car parts stored amongst the foliage.

jaroslav
    No I'm not aware of him but I'de like some more info about him because that's exactly where I am,when I was young I built a bunch of hot rods,when I first got married I had 3 '32 ford coupes & a 1947 ford business coupe all w/hopped up flat heads in them.If u can find out more about him I'll make an effort to find him.
    jaroslav, Prowbar and saintclair like this.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    No I'm not aware of him but I'de like some more info about him because that's exactly where I am,when I was young I built a bunch of hot rods,when I first got married I had 3 '32 ford coupes & a 1947 ford business coupe all w/hopped up flat heads in them.If u can find out more about him I'll make an effort to find him.
    I had the guy's Craig's List bookmarked, and it has expired. We did a cash deal, no record. I'll try to come up with more. I am repairing my nephew's '65 Galaxie, wrecked on a flatbed while being towed here from St. Louis. I bought both front fender, front radiator support, RH inner fender apron, hood hinges, all front trim, headlight rims, but no grill available, $300.

I think if I check a map, I can lead you to him........I'll get back to you.

jaroslav

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7967 times
    Instinctive shooting is something that can be learned by most people.

During the Vietnam War the military needed to improve the close range shooting skills for jungle warfare, so they developed the "Quick Kill".
    This was a Daisy BB gun with an adult stock, no sights, several steel disks, and two pairs of shooting glasses.
    The instructor would start by tossing a larger disk and coaching the student on how to "point" the BB gun like shooting a shotgun.
    As the student got the feel, smaller and smaller disks were tossed.
    Then an M16 rifle with a rubber strip over the sights so they couldn't be seen was used.

It was discovered that a fair percentage of shooters got good enough that they could hit a BB tossed in the air.
    Daisy also sold a commercial version known as the "Quick Skill".

You learn to shoot by shooting.
    When I was a kid I always had a BB rifle or pistol and spent my time in the back yard shooting. Shooting at stationary targets quickly got boring so I switched to steel beer cans tossed in the air. (Due to my older brothers I had a good supply of cans).
    These were the old steel cans that were opened with a can opener, later the tab opening type.

I got to the point where if the tossed can was oriented just right I could with some reliability put a BB into the can through the opening.
    At one point I bought a old Daisy that had sights so bent up they were useless. This was before i understood that sights could be moved or straightened.
    So, I learned to shoot without using the sights. I got so good I shot most of the seeds off a tree in the back yard by just pointing the rifle.

All this practice transferred over to real guns when I got older, and I managed to impress friends with trick shots that really weren't all that hard after my extensive back yard BB shooting.

One trick I did in front of witnesses was to toss road gravel up in the air, shoot the gravel, then eject the empty case out of my Marlin 39-A and shoot the empty case before it hit the ground.
    True, it took me 4 or 5 tries before I could get the ejected case where I needed it.

The point is, as above, you learn to shoot by shooting. If you live in an area that doesn't panic at the sight of a BB gun and it's safe to do so an inexpensive BB rifle or pistol and some metal targets thrown in the air can teach you instinctive shooting that can surprise you.
    jaroslav, saintclair and Rick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9134 times
    Check this guy out. I think I have a book on him in the shed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_McDaniel
    jaroslav likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4199 times
    I got his gun!

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    Check this guy out. I think I have a book on him in the shed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_McDaniel
    Great info! Thanks!
    jaroslav
    feralmerril likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5810 times
    I've got an 8 track video someplace around here of me doing some trick shooting for an old program here called "Az Cowboy" they went around the state & filmed anything cowboy oriented,I did this in one take of continuess film w/no cuts,The targets were 4" balloons about 12 or 15 ft away, & did some of my fancy gun handling moves w/a loaded gun,spun the gun out of the holster from the back of it around to the front & hit a balloon back into the holster from the rear & right back out the front of the holster w/ a forward spin,hit a balloon,threw it over my right shoulder from the rear & caught it &
    ,hit a balloon,did a flat "butterfly spin",hit a balloon then turned my back to the target & did the "Vera Cruz" shot behind my back that Burt Lancaster did in the movie & hit the last balloon.I used special 22/45 wax bullet cartridges to do the video.I haven't seen this old video for a long time because I don't know where it is stored.If I could find it someone else would have to play it because the new smart TV my daughter gave me won't play the old VCR player.
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15273 times
    Jaro, if you're not familiar with our Jim Martin you should google him. You'll be impressed.
    joehaber, saintclair and tonyxit like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    225 times
    Growing up my dad had a friend who was a hell of a shot (my dad wasn't too shabby himself but was better with rifles) who taught me how to point shoot. The main drill he taught me, that I still practice today, is to toss out an old soup can and try to shoot it before it hits the ground as many times as you can and then reload and roll it out until you can't hit it anymore and start over again. I am no expert by any means but I can reliably hit what I point at.
    Cheers,
    Walter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links