Ed McGivern and Ad Topperwein
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Ed McGivern and Ad Topperwein

Member #
    Liked
    83 times

Ed McGivern and Ad Topperwein

McGivern claimed he could fire repeat shots faster with a revolver than could be done with a semi-auto. Here he is hitting 5 bottles thrown simultaneously into the air, firing his revolver from the hip:

Ad Topperwein atop the pile of 100,000 2-1/2" children's play blocks which he had hit using a Winchester .22LR semi-auto rifle, which model I don't know, but probably the predecessor to the model 63. This feat took many days, shooting 8 hours a day. It was said he missed 9 blocks.

Member #
    Liked
    1255 times
    I had a McGivern book - from memory Fast and fancy Revolver Shooting or similar. Lent it to someone and .... usual story.
    jaroslav likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5624 times
    correction about the 1st picture that McGivern is doing,that's not "hip shooting" it's "point shooting",hip shooting is done w/the gun literally @ hip level that's why it's called hip shooting.If you'll look @ his gun arm it's not quite up to the height of his shoulder obviously not using the sights.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8683 times
    I do have that book.
    jaroslav and Rick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    correction about the 1st picture that McGivern is doing,that's not "hip shooting" it's "point shooting",hip shooting is done w/the gun literally @ hip level that's why it's called hip shooting.If you'll look @ his gun arm it's not quite up to the height of his shoulder obviously not using the sights.
    I greatly appreciate your criticism. I thought of that, and thought also of the fact that I am descended from a Slavic (jaroSLAV) culture which does not allow exact translation of the terms, especially those of a technical nature. After thinking all of that, I noticed that McGivern MIGHT have fired one or two shots from the hip, still
    "point shooting", but found it instantly necessary to raise his arm higher for the last kill. Looking at the 5 bursting bottles convinces me his arm would have had to swing about quite a bit.

I wondered also whether using "from the hip" invited stoicism. Can YOU perform the feat pictured? I've practiced point shooting for a mighty long time, and quite frankly I am God-damned poor at it. You may be better. I am enthralled by an instinct as obvious as McGivern's that I would find little interest in surmising how he might have done it better. Sorry, sometimes we Slavs just get pissed-off......

jaroslav

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    Hey, Jim, just perusing your info: are you aware of a guy about as far east of Kingman as you are, north of I-40, you get to his place via the exit at the truck stop, he has a veritable treasure trove of old Ford car parts stored amongst the foliage.

jaroslav

Member #
    Liked
    626 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslav View Post
    McGivern claimed he could fire repeat shots faster with a revolver than could be done with a semi-auto. Here he is hitting 5 bottles thrown simultaneously into the air, firing his revolver from the hip:

Ad Topperwein atop the pile of 100,000 2-1/2" children's play blocks which he had hit using a Winchester .22LR semi-auto rifle, which model I don't know, but probably the predecessor to the model 63. This feat took many days, shooting 8 hours a day. It was said he missed 9 blocks.

Some interesting old photos. During one of Adolph Topperwein's block-shooting events it was said that all of the 25-20 ammo in San Antonio was used up, and other area towns were searched for help!
    jaroslav likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10898 times
    I believe Ad Topperwein's rifle was an 03 Winchester in .22 Winchester Auto caliber, and he wanted to shoot 75,000 of the wood blocks, but became unable to shoot after 72,500 yet missed only 9.
    jaroslav likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1329 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I do have that book.
    feralmerril: you should give that book back to Tranter45! Ha-ha!
    Yahoody and Tranter45 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    You are correct on the rifle and that he could not complete what he set out to do. He was prepared to shoot 15,000 blocks a day, but after the 3rd day could hardly get out of bed he was so sore from the recoil and his arthritis. My mentor and I had quite a display of Topperwein memorabilia back in the 70's. We purchased some of it from the man who as a young lad was Tops assistant during the Texas Centennial in 1936. I was really impressed with the dollar sized coins that the assistant would flip in the air and Top would yell "through the middle" and shoot. The assistant would retrieve the coin and show the crowd the coin with a hole near the middle and then flip it a second time and Top would shout "nick the edge" and the assistant would bring it back and show the crowd the coin with a hole & a perfect half-moon in the edge! cf
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    I believe Ad Topperwein's rifle was an 03 Winchester in .22 Winchester Auto caliber, and he wanted to shoot 75,000 of the wood blocks, but became unable to shoot after 72,500 yet missed only 9.
    Last edited by cottonfarmer; 05-01-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    Ugly, jaroslav, JohnnyP and 1 others like this.
    Cottonfarmer
    NRA-Life member
    TSRA-Life member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links