Possible winchester 73 project gun
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By MarkInTx

Thread: Possible winchester 73 project gun

Member #
    Liked
    1605 times

Possible winchester 73 project gun

I was helping a rancher get some cattle out of his bottom land this morning, with monsoon like weather we are currently enjoying and afterwards he recalled that I liked guns. He told me to come by the house this weekend and he has his grandfather's old 1882 1873 in 44wcf. He says it is rough as all get out with no finish and nothing but a beater but if I was interested to come by and look at it. Now I would love to have a 44 1873, and having an old gun from this area would be interesting. Jasper is in his late 80s if he is a day, so when he says his grandfather's, its entirely possible he was the original owner. I will check it out tomorrow, if its as roughas he says, it might make a nice restoration project.

Member #
    Liked
    1328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
    I was helping a rancher get some cattle out of his bottom land this morning, with monsoon like weather we are currently enjoying and afterwards he recalled that I liked guns. He told me to come by the house this weekend and he has his grandfather's old 1882 1873 in 44wcf. He says it is rough as all get out with no finish and nothing but a beater but if I was interested to come by and look at it. Now I would love to have a 44 1873, and having an old gun from this area would be interesting. Jasper is in his late 80s if he is a day, so when he says his grandfather's, its entirely possible he was the original owner. I will check it out tomorrow, if its as roughas he says, it might make a nice restoration project.
    Well, if this rifle or SRC is missing parts, there have been 1000's of these 73's junked for parts over the years. I knew a gun dealer in Laredo who had a 55 gallon drum full of nothing but stripped actions.

Member #
    Liked
    1605 times
    Don't know on that front. He didn't mention it was missing anything, just that it was rough and didn't have any finish left on it. Will be interesting to see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14571 times
    Had one that was pretty rough. Never been apart since new. Still had BP ammo in the butt stock. Pulled the forearm and had a good bit of what looked to be either mane or tail hair under the it. No finish but wood was decent. The thing functioned and shot just fine.

Hope it works out. Sounds like a great gun to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1485 times
    I picked up a barn (attic?) find '73 rifle in 38WCF a while back. The metal was orange and kind of fuzzy but the wood still had some finish in places. It was an interesting year long project working off and on and LOTS of soaking in ATF/acetone. None of the screws had been turned since it left the factory. I learned a lot...with the help of the fine folks here. The bore still looks like a sewer pipe but hitting a 6" steel plate at 50 yards is easy.
    DSCN0261.JPG
    Before:
    DSCN0202.JPG DSCN0192.JPG
    After:
    DSCN0258.JPG DSCN0257.JPG
    Cozmo, Harper, lboos and 3 others like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links