Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Prices on Collectible Guns

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21087 times
    All the internet sites on which one can sell guns makes the liquidity quite a bit better than when one had to try to simply sell locally.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    My point is about expendable monies. We sixty yo will be in their 70's and so on. I'm buying collections now from 80+year old clients that I sold new 40 years ago. The surge you see now is from the 50 year old ,empty nester, then where does it go...
    Pocketlite1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2524 times
    I use a local gun shop/indoor range/training center for my firearms transfers. As you would expect, most people who work there or use the facility are "plastic" gun enthusiasts. I have been getting quite a few nice guns there including some engraved SAA's and I have seen their interest grow lately. I always try to educate them about a gun that I get as to the details about models, finish, stocks, engraving and such. A few of the guys are starting to talk to me at length about nice, older guns and are asking where they can find them. So maybe the interest in fine blue steel, engraving and walnut stocks is not dead, it just needs to be rekindled. I'll continue to do my part and maybe some of these guys and gals will eventually become real collectors.

- Buckspen
    1911Collector likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5852 times
    We cannot globally say that all old gun types are "collectible". That is what changes. I'd like to see a bar chart showing the value increases of different gun types. For example, shotguns are down, because hunting is down. Flintlock Colonial rifles are way down from the 1980s. Adjusted for inflation, some "rises" are actually "staying the same." For every gun that is "hot" right now, I can name three that are stagnant or have gone down. Some are way up, Lugers are a perennial favorite, and always expensive. Some are the same as 20 years ago, like Police Positives. I have a hunch other classic Colts are stagnant or down too, from the little I follow.

The rarest configuration and top condition of ANY gun has the most probability of increasing. And of getting auction houses interested. A 99% nickle Police Positive with factory Pearl grips is going to rise - they didn't make many, few are left. If I wanted to sell the sleepers I collect (by definition - not going up), Rock Island isn't going to be interested, and wealthy collectors are not going to get into bidding wars. The .32-20 Police Positive I bought at a gun shop in Albuquerque in 1996 for $276 is now worth about $350. Not getting rich off those. Army Specials and Official Police are about the same too. Winchesters way up. Remington pumps, way down. Etc....

In stocks and mutual funds, you want to see your portfolio double in value every 7-15 years.
    Last edited by azshot; 05-09-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    big_gus, ronthom and Redcat94 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1950 times
    Everyone is different so all I can give is my view. I use my guns and have very few nib. The use of those guns in the activities I choose like plinking, target shooting, competition, hunting or just carrying a gun for my own safety. That's the value to me, it isn't I bought them for an investment but a part of my life. If my family sells my guns for any increase in value then good for them but my guns are part of a life of freedom and it's a freedom most countries don't enjoy. What is that worth in dollars?

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rifle View Post
    My point is about expendable monies. We sixty yo will be in their 70's and so on. I'm buying collections now from 80+year old clients that I sold new 40 years ago. The surge you see now is from the 50 year old ,empty nester, then where does it go...
    You have answered your own question. The cycle just keeps on going, and that is the point that I am trying to make. It's not a surge as there are always buyers out there and if there were not then the auction houses would not be up to selling a quarter of a Billion Dollars worth of guns a year.
    Hootch56 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
    It's happening in the collectible car world...the cars my generation values are dropping in market value as the new generation wants "Tuner Cars" or "Rice Rockets" rather than the cars we grew up with. Just the way of the world.
    I welcome ricers any time.

Shelby enthusiasts cringe when they see my car. They feel exactly the same as when colt enthusiasts see a colt altered by bubba.
    20190509_132333.jpg
    20190509_132532.jpg
    20190509_132519.jpg

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I might be one of the younger people who participate in collecting old guns, Im 32. I've been actively collecting for about 10 years now and I love it. From what I gather there isn't many young people like me collecting much of anything. I really dont look like a guy who would have a healthy Pre-war colt collection but its nice to impress the old folks...

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffjohanson View Post
    I welcome ricers any time.

Shelby enthusiasts cringe when they see my car. They feel exactly the same as when colt enthusiasts see a colt altered by bubba.
    20190509_132333.jpg
    20190509_132532.jpg
    20190509_132519.jpg
    Biff - I'm a Shelby enthusiast and have no problems with your modifications as long as they send all the GTR's, Supra's and EVO's home crying.

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JCByers View Post
    Biff - I'm a Shelby enthusiast and have no problems with your modifications as long as they send all the GTR's, Supra's and EVO's home crying.
    I haven't had any problems yet but a street legal gtr modified more than stock might be a scary encounter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links