Like Tree104Likes

Thread: The S&W Schofield

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9227 times

The S&W Schofield

For all the obsession over US issued SA's and the prices those command, a cheaper alternative is the Schofield. I won't go into the history but here is a comparison of the 1st Model (top) and the 2nd model. The only difference is the the latch, which I have photographed. The 2nd model has an improved latch that is supposedly easier to work with the thumb (I see no difference in operating it). Because of the grooved top strap (unlike other Model #3's), the S&W patents were on the left side and the Schofield patent on the right. The 'US' is stamped on the butt. On the toe of the 1st model and the heel of the 2nd model.

'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    A good friend of mine has a 2nd Model Schofield that was factory refurbished back in 1922. I asked him about the color of the latch. On his it's blue, but I thought originally they were case hardened.
    LEO918 likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    1860 times
    I always liked the Scofield, and the Russian...And the Webleys for that matter. Great guns, all!
    SMLE1907 and SHOOTER13 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2798 times
    Wow....Nice looking pair you have there Chaffee. Here is my first model. Love Schofields.

Smith Schofield 1.jpg
    Last edited by dkay62; 05-10-2019 at 05:49 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best Regards,
    Doug
    - (dkay62) NRA Benefactor Member

Member #
    Liked
    443 times
    I recently sold a 2nd model American. It had to be the most awkward handling gun I have ever handled. Have a Frontier SA that feels much better in my hands yet it's also model 3 frame. How does the Schofield handle?
    tdennis

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdennis View Post
    I recently sold a 2nd model American. It had to be the most awkward handling gun I have ever handled. Have a Frontier SA that feels much better in my hands yet it's also model 3 frame. How does the Schofield handle?
    tdennis
    Even though they are are No. 3's, there are differences in the frames. The most awkward is the Russian models with the big hump, the easiest is the New model No. 3 even though it has a smaller hump. The Schofields are a little bit easier the cock than the 1st or 2nd Mod American. There are differences in the hammers as well and grips will not interchange between say, the American/Schofield/NM 3. All of them (with the exception of the New Mod No. 3) require you to slightly rotate the gun in your hand slightly to cock easily, at least for me. In other words, they're not as user friendly as the Colt SA, except to reload. The NM #3 is the most ergonomic of the bunch.
    Last edited by Chaffee; 05-10-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    dkay62 likes this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    9976 times
    They're both comfortable to shoot, and accurate - but the Schofield's grip is that of a 'saw handle', while the Colt's is that of a 'plow handle', and that bothers some folks.

I own the S&W Schofield 2000 - the Performance Center's offering of some years back, and S&W did a nice job.

Not every revolver used in the Old West was built by Colt...
    ColtPlinkerton and RDS like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2427 times
    I have the Uberti reproduction of the 2nd model Schofield but with a 3 1/2" barrel. I think Uberti did a good repro and has the U.S. on the butt.DSCN0800.JPGDSCN0797.JPG It's chambered for 45 Colt instead of 45 Schofield. It seems to be a well made repro.
    SHOOTER13, dkay62, LEO918 and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1088 times
    I always liked the Schofield and model 3 look and I finally had one in my hand for the first time not too long ago. It was a model 3 in 44 Russian and a BP era. It had a nickel frame and blued barrel. It felt and pointed real well but the rear sight was a tiny little V shaped thing that was hard to pick up.
    Years ago when the NRA had their convention in Reno Nevada I was there and S&W had one on display and I was all giddy thinking that they were going to re-introduce them. Nothing. I would have jumped on ordering one.

Member #
    Liked
    443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffee View Post
    Even though they are are No. 3's, there are differences in the frames. The most awkward is the Russian models with the big hump, the easiest is the New model No. 3 even though it has a smaller hump. The Schofields are a little bit easier the cock than the 1st or 2nd Mod American. There are differences in the hammers as well and grips will not interchange between say, the American/Schofield/NM 3. All of them (with the exception of the New Mod No. 3) require you to slightly rotate the gun in your hand slightly to cock easily, at least for me. In other words, they're not as user friendly as the Colt SA, except to reload. The NM #3 is the most ergonomic of the bunch.
    I guess that's why mine feels so much better than the American. I just noticed the difference in how the grip panel is shaped. It's listed as a New Model #3 Frontier Single Action and is 44/40 Caliber. Kind of a rare bird with a 3 digit serial number and only 1286 being made. Evidently it did not fair well against the Frontier Six Shooter from Colt.

Last edited by tdennis; 05-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links