• 5 Post By cda926
  • 1 Post By waltesefalcon
  • 1 Post By PAhunter

Thread: Help me find a gunsmith please!

Member #
    Liked
    2181 times

Help me find a gunsmith please!

I have had a good local 'smith for several years. Now,he had basically quit working due to ill health and personal issues. It took me a long time to find him and now he is not available.

I'm looking for an experienced person who knows how to work on older revolvers. I'd prefer someone with a brick and mortar shop who is willing to receive shipments and return in the same fashion.

I'm looking for someone who does repairs not just high end custom work.

Any ideas?

Best,
    Charles
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1091 times
    I would suggest that you check with Frank Glenn in Arizona. I and several others have used his shop. Speaking for myself they do excellent work and reasonable turn around time. JMO D*
    Jackson and Stevez like this.
    Daryl
    If you keep doing what you always did you will always get what you always got

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    what I it needs done. I am an FFL and gunshop. Do a lot of SA and double action revolver work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2425 times
    I can recommend Jim Cornwall in Arizona.
    Docneeley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3863 times
    CDA: What you will find is what you are seeing first hand.
    The shops that could repair anything are the older shops, maybe a two-man operation with 60-80 years of experience between the two of them. There was a shop back in PA close to Pittsburgh named Economy Gunsmithing. There was nothing Economy about their work, they were simply located in Economy Boro - but they could do anything and do it well. Sadly they closed their doors. One guy got too sick and the other decided it was time to retire.

Today most shops ďspecializeĒ.
    Ive been getting better at turning away stuff Iím not proficient with.
    Iíve seen my share of old 22s with FTF. No more...I simply raised my minimum shop charge to discourage them from leaving it with me. Iím busy, I do good work with what Iím good at and I enjoy it.

Find a shop that likes doing the work you need done. Donít overly concern yourself with price or turn time - It they can do it, itís worth both.
    Last edited by LeverActionBill; 05-13-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    Mosby, win61, longranger and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting.

Member #
    Liked
    2181 times
    I found a local gunsmith in an unlikely place today.

I called around to several gunshops that I frequent. No one had any good suggestions. Almost as an after thought, I I tried the place that I use to receive FFL transfers. It is not far from my house and stays open later than other places making it more convenient. All they sell is black rifles, silencers,suppressors, Class III stuff. They don't even sell handguns.
    When I asked the guy I deal with there, hr said that he was a gunsmith. We chatted about a Detective Special .32 that I have that just quit functioning the other day. He had some ideas as to the cause which surprised me because I had no idea that they even knew what a revolver looked like.

I took the D/S in . He disassembled it and found the parts that had worked their way out of alignment ant had it back together in 15 minutes!!
    He was working n a reproduction cap and ball revolver when I walked in!
    Last edited by cda926; 05-13-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    My good old local gunsmith died about fifteen years ago leaving a huge whole in the gunsmithing around these parts. Most places only deal in modern stuff and those that will take older guns in charge a small fortune for their time. Needless to say I began working on my old guns a lot more and I have learned quite a bit about DA and SA Colt revolvers and lever action Winchesters, and I am much more competent than I was back when a 1911 or a BP revolver were the only guns I'd work on.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Cheers,
    Walter

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7685 times
    Here's some known experts on repairs.

http://www.apwcogan.com/
    Best known for top of the line gun refinishing, Cogan's are also master gunsmiths.

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ
    Franks Glenn is a forum member and a well known Master pistolsmith. He gets top ratings here for quality of work, pricing, and turnaround.

https://www.facebook.com/spartanfirearmcompany/
    Spartan is a top service and was trained at the Colt factory.

https://www.hyattgunstore.com/retail/gunsmithing/
    Hyatt has a full staff of gunsmiths.

Smith Gun ? Professional Gunsmithing
    Offers full range of work.

Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBill View Post
    CDA: What you will find is what you are seeing first hand.
    The shops that could repair anything are the older shops, maybe a two-man operation with 60-80 years of experience between the two of them. There was a shop back in PA close to Pittsburgh named Economy Gunsmithing. There was nothing Economy about their work, they were simply located in Economy Boro - but they could do anything and do it well. Sadly they closed their doors. One guy got too sick and the other decided it was time to retire.

Today most shops ďspecializeĒ.
    Ive been getting better at turning away stuff Iím not proficient with.
    Iíve seen my share of old 22s with FTF. No more...I simply raised my minimum shop charge to discourage them from leaving it with me. Iím busy, I do good work with what Iím good at and I enjoy it.

Find a shop that likes doing the work you need done. Donít overly concern yourself with price or turn time - It they can do it, itís worth both.
    I live in Economy Boro, PA and Economy Gunsmithing was ten minutes from my house. I really miss those guys. Neat little shop, and they did great work.
    LeverActionBill likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links