New to me Winchester 1886
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New to me Winchester 1886

Member #
    Liked
    1384 times

New to me Winchester 1886

I was eating lunch with a gentleman that I am thankful to call my friend today when the subject of rifles came up. We talked off and on about M54s, M70s, Model 700s, a double rifle he fired once back in the 50s on some hunt he was on. Eventually we got to lever actions and of course winchesters. After discussing guns a bit more he said he would be right back and walked back in the house. He came back out with the below rifle.
    According to my 85 year old friend, his father bought it brand new in 1910 down in Ft Worth. It has been used to kill many a wild hog, coyote, and other varmints on their family ranch that he is the 4th generation to manage. My friend knows it has taken several elk and at least one moose on hunting trips up north.
    It is a takedown 45-70 with 22 inch round barrel, rifle butt, half magazine, marbles adjustable leaf rear sight, winchester express front sight, straight grip.

There are traces of case color on the hammer and bluing on the frame. As I said its an honest old working gun.

My friend has no children of his own, multiple decendents of other forms, but he figures they will not miss this old rifle. He quoted me a very agreeable price and I said I'd take it. He told me to take the gun home and if I still liked it on sunday morning I could pay him for it at church. As I said a true gentleman.

It is in the serial range that is missing records so I can't letter it, but I am a fan.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    606 times
    That's a very fine rifle. Looks all original too.

Member #
    Liked
    1384 times
    The marbles sight didn't come out until the 1920s so it is probably a later replacement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1261 times
    Fine rifle, great cartridge and a true friend.
    inspcalahan and skwcoltguy like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    799 times
    Show up to church early, put a little extra in the plate and count your blessings. Be sure to pay the man also.

Living a good life has many returns.
    1988RRC likes this.
    I don't know much but at least I know that much.

Member #
    Liked
    488 times
    Stories like that should remind us of all of the good things that can and happen to us as we navigate through life.

Good for you, for the gun, for the friend, and the good story that resulted from those things.

Member #
    Liked
    11712 times
    Now your friend can be content knowing the rifle is going to continue to be appreciated in good hands. Are these short takedowns called "featherweights"? I'm sure no expert but I think these usually had shotgun butts. About 30 years ago a friend of a friend showed us his grandad's gun he inherited like this one but with checkered pistol grip and shotgun butt. He knew nothing about guns and holding it at his hip worked the action a few times like The Rifleman making me cringe. If I wasn't poor at the time I'd have offered to buy it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    526 times
    Fantastic rifle! Knowing you get to "carry on" with it is a good feeling for both you and your friend. Personally, I'd take it to the range and then take it back out hunting. Moose most likely. Keep it going the way it was intended!

Member #
    Liked
    1384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    Now your friend can be content knowing the rifle is going to continue to be appreciated in good hands. Are these short takedowns called "featherweights"? I'm sure no expert but I think these usually had shotgun butts. About 30 years ago a friend of a friend showed us his grandad's gun he inherited like this one but with checkered pistol grip and shotgun butt. He knew nothing about guns and holding it at his hip worked the action a few times like The Rifleman making me cringe. If I wasn't poor at the time I'd have offered to buy it.
    Extra Lightweight is the term Winchester used for them. They could be special ordered with rifle butts. People sometimes refer to .33 winchester models like this as lightweights but that wasn't a winchester term, they only referred to 45-70 as extra lightweight.

Member #
    Liked
    13027 times
    Neat old gun and story behind it. Congrads!

Nice thing about the Winchester lever guns is there are still lots of parts around. Should be easy to find a period correct shotgun butt stock and get after some hogs with that one.

I suspect you found my previous over load of info unhelpful. Of the dozen or more of '86s I've owned and shot I think you have ended up with one of the very best configurations Winchester offered for real field use.

From your original want list..

full octagon 26" barrel
    full mag tube
    smooth wood
    Non takedown
    Iron sights
    Straight stock
    Shotgun pad
    Mercury recoil
    Upgrade 4x wood

Fun thing about a take down is you could have a 2nd or 3rd set of barrels made up in any caliber that has a 45/70 rim diameter with any length mag tube on the barrels. You could easy have a second set of deluxe checkered wood made up and switch back and forth with no harm done to the original rifle or its history and of course you could source a period correct shotgun butt to switch back and forth with ease. The take down guns were the original "James Bond" guns. Not uncommon to see a '86 with a several sets of barrels and in different calibers. I once had a '86 TD, pistol grip that was a 33 Win, 22" with a pencil barrel button mag and the 2nd set of barrels a 45/90, 24" full mag tube.

Be fun to source some hot Buffalo Bore loads and some middle of the road factory 45-70 ammo and go after the hogs with that 45-70 and see how you think a 45-70 compares to your friend's .475 Turnbull. One thing guaranteed is you'll be spending a lot less money feeding the 45-70!
    Last edited by Yahoody; 05-22-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links