Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Boxes . A sticky thread ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5336 times
    I agree with Cam that if a sticky thread is started that it be broken down by model. I'd be willing to contribute to a "Detective Special" thread as I have examples of every type DS box ranging from 1926 through 1996.
    Fortibus55 and thecoltguy like this.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5165 times
    Well I think it is a wonderful idea.....just wish we had this up last week

I may be able to supply a few not so correct box pics too RR
    Ronald12 and snakeman99 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21704 times
    I think a special section on Colt Boxes would be great.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    628 times
    I was in the no category but now I say yes, go ahead. The “good” fakers already have the originals so no need to worry about them finding out now. I despise counterfeit items and reproductions. It took much of the fun out of colt collecting for me. I say go ahead with box sticky so some new to the hobby can at least have “a punchers chance”.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2118 times
    Yes. The idea to sub-divide the section into different models is A+.
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    I would also like to see a section devoted to boxes, just another fascinating part of the gun hobby.

Member #
    Liked
    1783 times
    So to those who say - "The information is out there, fakers already have what they need"-

so then why is a box sticky needed.?? Since the information is "already out there" for all to see??
    Last edited by 68python; 06-05-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5652 times
    I vote with Tony on this issue Mitch, and I agree with his comment 100%

I think it's a super idea because the more information the Colt Forum disseminates on an issue the better it is for everyone in my opinion. Another thing too is the fact that the information would be coming from a Forum that has the best reputation for honesty and integrity on firearms anywhere on the Internet.

While I also agree that it gives the "fakers" a little more "ammunition", (pun Intended), those types of people are going to fake boxes and other items no matter what we do here.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Colt-SL View Post
    Great question Mitch and I can see both sides of the issue as you've laid it out here.

Ideally, an uninitiated collector would come here and ask a specific question or direct attention to a suspect auction for a more informed opinion. But not all new collectors are comfortable enough to do that, so I see the value of a sticky thread.

Faker's will perfect their art one way or another, perhaps using authentic items as a base for that more so than our sticky threads. I guess I'm in favor of another educational resource here at the Colt Forum.
    Colt-SL and thecoltguy like this.
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma, I'm ridin' the range tonight.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5652 times
    What an excellent idea Cam, and your wealth of knowledge and contribution in this category would be most welcome.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by thecoltguy View Post
    .......... I would suggest doing it by the model of the gun just like the sticky photo section so that a person looking for a Detective Special box can go to that section.
    Colt-SL and thecoltguy like this.
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma, I'm ridin' the range tonight.

Member #
    Liked
    6176 times
    Two considerations:

1. Forum software does not provide the best user interface for searching and displaying the identifying features. It's more for replies to threads, with sometimes many pages getting created. What would be the ideal interface? You'd want to quickly have an index, and comparisons of each parameter (Fake here - Real here). Like this early website on reproductions, that still works fine: M3 (www.usmilitaryknives.com/m3.htm) Having to scroll through pages of random submissions by people is difficult. Also, who vets that the features are fake or real?

2. This box identification tool would NOT be for "just members". Any non-member can enter our Forum and review all content, except the for sale section, right? That would be one thing I'd change. Try it: Log out, go to google, then enter "Python Boxes" in the search field. Here, I've set up the link to just search within the Colt Forum. Copy paste into google just the text in parenthesis: ( site:https://www.coltforum.com python boxes ) You will get dozens of Colt Forum posts asking "is this a real python box?" etc. Anyone making the next generation counterfeit will just update their design to remove the "tells" that we ID. Eventually, there will be none. (note to counterfeiter - you need to age the box realistically and not make it look brand new, since we're pretending it's 50 years old.) See what I mean?
    Last edited by azshot; 06-05-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links