Boxes . A sticky thread ?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Boxes . A sticky thread ?

Member #
    Liked
    6156 times
    Of course, an ideal guide would show the same item in both real and fake form. With arrows and callouts explaining every parameter.

Suffice it to say if you collect ANYTHING there are certain world cultures that can and do fake it. From watches, to tennis shoes, to purses, to iphones, to....on and on and on.

A Colt box is child's play compared to fakes coming from the East. If you educate them...they will learn. Large parts of those economies are dedicated to capturing intellectual property, patents, and trade secrets, and faking them.

Colt-SL and Rick Bowles like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5652 times
    What an excellent idea Cam, and your wealth of knowledge and contribution in this category would be most welcome.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by thecoltguy View Post
    .......... I would suggest doing it by the model of the gun just like the sticky photo section so that a person looking for a Detective Special box can go to that section.
    thecoltguy likes this.
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma, I'm ridin' the range tonight.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68python View Post
    So to those who say - "The information is out there, fakers already have what they need"-

so then why is a box sticky needed.?? Since the information is "already out there" for all to see??
    Because the information pertaining to each box will help the novice or new collector understand what he or she should be looking for when it comes to the correct box. The box fakers already know enough to have what they are selling made to near original specks. After all with the volume of fake boxes being made the profits are large enough for them to buy a mint original example of everything needed even if it includes the gun. The new collector gets confused about what they are looking at and any good honest help that we can provide may ensure that they don't make an error and just give up. Colt collecting has been a wonderful hobby for me over the last fifty plus years and I would like to see others enjoy it as I have. For most of my collecting years, there were just original examples of Colt boxes so I did not have to worry about ending up with an aftermarket box. I have no problem with folks buying the re-production boxes to put with there gun so long as they know that is what it is. This is just my opinion and certainly not meant to diminish those buyers of aftermarket boxes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    Two considerations:

1. Forum software does not provide a good user interface for searching and displaying the identifying features. Think about how you'd like to research a particular box. You'd want to quickly have an index, and comparisons of each parameter (Fake here - Real here). Like this early website on reproductions, that still works fine: M3 (www.usmilitaryknives.com/m3.htm) Having to scroll through pages of random submissions by people is difficult. Also, who vets that the features are fake or real?

2. This box identification tool would NOT be for "just members". Any non-member can enter our Forum and review all content, except the for sale section, right? That would be one thing I'd change. Try it: Log out, go to google, then enter "Python Boxes" in the search field. Here, I've set up the link to just search within the Colt Forum. Copy paste into google just the text in parenthesis: ( site:https://www.coltforum.com python boxes ) You will get dozens of Colt Forum posts asking "is this a real python box?" etc. Anyone making the next generation counterfeit will just update their design to remove the "tells" that we ID. Eventually, there will be none. (note to counterfeiter - you need to age the box realistically and not make it look brand new, since we're pretending it's 50 years old.) See what I mean?
    If Mitch could have a section (Maybe the wrong word) for each type gun i.e. Python, Detective Special, Cobra, etc. then members could post pictures of correct boxes. With the eagle eyes on this Forum if someone posted the wrong info the membership would be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Our self policing would ensure that the info stayed current and correct. I have photos of most of the double action revolver boxes from the 1893-1944 era starting with the New Pocket, New Police & New Service along with the Camp Perry and would be happy to show those and include comments where necessary. For example, the early boxes had a baby blue label, nickel gun boxes had a white label, etc. Others could add where they feel it necessary to do so such as post-war model boxes and ones that are missing in the post. I assume that Russ has just about all of the Detective Specials and maybe all of the Model .357's. Many other members have boxes in their area of collecting so I think after a while it should fill in quite nicely. I think the subject of displaying some of the aftermarket boxes should be up to Mitch. I don't have any to contribute but if he thinks it would help then he can make the call.

Member #
    Liked
    6156 times
    It can't hurt for disseminating knowledge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links