Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Boxes . A sticky thread ?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7154 times

Boxes . A sticky thread ?

We continue to get inquiries regarding the originality of Colt boxes , labels , hang tags , manuals , etc . More than once it has been suggested that we have threads showing a pictorial history of original packaging . There are members that are for and against this . In a nutshell the opposition main concern is that we are instructing the fake box people how to perfect their product . The pro-box thread side is that it gives the average collector good information that may help to avoid a costly mistake .

Basically collector guns have been faked for what , maybe 100+ years on certain early models . Not unlike phony artwork , coins or any other collectible , guns are reblued , rebarreled , then roll marks , proof marks , inspector marks , etc are also faked . The advanced collector can and does usually spot this as shown here on Colt Forum almost daily . I'm amazed by the vast knowledge exhibited by our members .
    In my opinion the fake box people already have all the info they need which is posted on the many gun auction sites and in the years of online web history . While it's possible that we could be assisting the fakers , I think the benefit to collectors would extremely valuable .

I'm ok with or without threads showing original packaging history It's going to be up to you members to hash this out . Feel free to offer thoughts suggestions on this topic .

Sticky box history thread Yes or No ?

Thank you .
    Colt-SL, WVCOLT, Ronald12 and 3 others like this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5336 times
    I'm leaning towards "Yes". I think it would help more than it would hurt.
    Last edited by snakeman99; 06-04-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    1776 times
    No sticky...
    Prefer poor fakers.
    Last edited by 68python; 06-05-2019 at 01:18 AM.
    Colt-SL and WVCOLT like this.
    Colt snubbies rule.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13086 times
    Great question Mitch and I can see both sides of the issue as you've laid it out here.

Ideally, an uninitiated collector would come here and ask a specific question or direct attention to a suspect auction for a more informed opinion. But not all new collectors are comfortable enough to do that, so I see the value of a sticky thread.

Faker's will perfect their art one way or another, perhaps using authentic items as a base for that more so than our sticky threads. I guess I'm in favor of another educational resource here at the Colt Forum.
    WVCOLT and Matchlock like this.
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    657 times
    Really folks, helping the fakers???? Is that all Clawson, Cochran, Pate, Brunner and numerous other reference authors did was help the fakers. I think what is really holding the fakers back is the cost of materials and the manufacturing process necessary to produce an exact duplicate of a 50 to 100 year old box. Just like guns aren't made like they use to be, neither are boxes.

Personally I could care less about the box (even though I keep boxes for guns purchased new), I prefer my guns lived life, not sat around in a box. Boxes just add clutter to the gun room and cost money that could be spent on more guns.
    scstrain likes this.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17414 times
    We already have lots of boxes shown in the photo section with guns so I think the fakers already have what they need. It's a subject that could go both ways. A new member here on the Forum may really just be a box faker who requires more information, something we will never really know. On the other hand its always nice to assist the new collector and it gives him a place to go for advice. When it comes to the pre-war era guns and boxes that I collect it's really easy to spot a fake box as 99.99% of the originals just don't look like they were made yesterday. It's like looking at the face of an 18-year-old person and a 90-year-old person. I will be happy to add to the new thread if one is started. If that happens I would suggest doing it by the model of the gun just like the sticky photo section so that a person looking for a Detective Special box can go to that section.
    Last edited by thecoltguy; 06-05-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    4032 times
    While I do not consider myself an advanced collector, as I'm not in the market for 99% complete package etc., and am mostly interested in guns to shoot. But I do understand the value of an original piece with box papers etc.
    I've been buying guns for many years, like most here and can probably avoid expensive mistakes, although I've made some boneheaded purchases over the years.

So someone new to the collector world that doesn't have the experience and insight as to what to look for. Refinished guns for example, a lot of people just don't see the difference and can hurt a purchase. I learned to avoid re-blued guns because they are harder to sell.

The box topic seems to come up, or has in the past several times about "Fake Box Man," "Sparta" etc., that in some ways a Sticky Thread would be more beneficial to legitimate collectors, especially newbies, then to the unscrupulous who will do their fake boxes whether Colt Forum has a sticky thread or not.
    Colt-SL likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2474 times
    I'm with Cam on this one. I'm not a box collector, but it seems to me that a lot of our members, including myself, are here for the vast and freely offered knowledge of the membership. Why not include the boxes? Just maybe we can put the fakers out of business.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1089 times
    I say no. The box fakers have their place in this hobby too. Many, many people buy these boxes and are happy to get them. Most of these folks never intend to use the box to help them sell the firearm...........they just want the box (Even if fake) to keep it in. It also helps people get a better price on a pistol when buying if their is no box. And finally, you can put all the stickies you want and you still will never know FOR SURE if the box you are getting is fake or not.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    Id say the damage has already been done with the books and other information on the internet. I'd love to have a reference here when shopping for a box. My vote is YES.
    Some guy likes this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links