Member #
    Liked
    799 times
    Here's a link Arms List Scam

Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    Why risk your money there when there are much better alternatives ? Im sure the dealers are fine there but, the majority of ads are placed by scumbags looking to scam somebody.
    The guns I have purchased have been very hard to find firearms and I have gotten them 10% to 30% below market.

That is the only reason to use Armslist.

Member #
    Liked
    1424 times
    Several queries on arms list ads were obvious scams.The one that was legit was an in person sale at my LGS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Haven't been on Armslist in quite awhile and when I do I only look for ads in my city. I used to search on "Colt SAA" and I found it funny how many hits were returned with the same gun (or at least same picture) located in 17 or more different states.
    hearsedriver and arjay like this.

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Armslist is FTF only for me. I have contact with the seller first and then meet up. Only had one bad dealing and have ended up with some very nice firearms. There is a reason the site states it is for FTF deals, they are well aware of the mail me your money scammers.
    Kerz and arjay like this.

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    When I first heard about Armslist a few years ago I went there and found a desirable but not rare gun for a reasonable price. The purchase went as smoothly as any I've ever done on GB or GI. Seller actually shipped the gun the day I told him the check was in the mail.

My second buy was for another seldom seen but not collectable gun. Sent a Cashier's Check and the seller kept up communications for a week or 10 days. Was going to ship in the middle of that but of course it got delayed. Then all the e-mails stopped. No answer on the phone number provided, and of course the check had already cleared.

I gave it more time than I should have then informed the seller I was reporting the incident to the Postal Inspectors and the FBI Internet Crimes Unit. No response so I did indeed report it to those agencies (the seller was in a state across the country). To my surprise and disappointment neither federal agency showed the least interest, despite my filling out all the requested forms and supplying copies of all transaction documents and communications. And, my local police weren't interested. Out of their jurisdiction. They were the ones who suggest the FBI ICU.

An expensive lesson to learn and needless to say I have not even looked at Armslist since.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_T; 06-09-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_T View Post
    When I first heard about Armslist a few years ago I went there and found a desirable but not rare gun for a reasonable price. The purchase went as smoothly as any I've ever done on GB or GI. Seller actually shipped the gun the day I told him the check was in the mail.

My second buy was for another seldom seen but not collectable gun. Sent a Cashier's Check and the seller kept up communications for a week or 10 days. Was going to ship in the middle of that but of course it got delayed. Then all the e-mails stopped. No answer on the phone number provided, and of course the check had already cleared.

I gave it more time than I should have then informed the seller I was reporting the incident to the Postal Inspectors and the FBI Internet Crimes Unit. No response so I did indeed report it to those agencies (the seller was in a state across the country). To my surprise and disappointment neither federal agency showed the least interest, despite my filling out all the requested forms and supplying copies of all transaction documents and communications. And, my local police weren't interested. Out of their jurisdiction. They were the ones who suggest the FBI ICU.

An expensive lesson to learn and needless to say I have not even looked at Armslist since.

Dave
    Dave, that is a typical Armslists scenario unfortunately. Next time, contact the district attorney in the town that you mail the money to. They will be of more assistance.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    509 times
    I buy on Armslist but pretty much locally only. If you are patient with the BS, lack of knowledge by some sellers and sift through the scammers there can be a deal here and there.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    The only way I buy off of Armslist is if they are within driving distance and we talk via phone first. Bought a few nice ones off it, but you have to be cautious.

Member #
    Liked
    7394 times
    Indeed, if you talk to people you can ask a few probing questions and determine right away if they really have the item. I've bought a lot of antiques from strangers on the internet, but only after I am comfortable they are not making something up.

"have you had it long?"
    Them: "I just got it"
    "oh, cool, where?"
    Them: "um, I ...er....bought it at a shop"
    "Great, I collect these, I want to call and ask them if they have any history of it, what shop?"
    Them: "they're no longer in business...wait...this one I got from an uncle"
    "I understand. Hey, the way people measure these isn't exactly right. Can you take a picture with it's barrel laying on TOP of a ruler and send it to me?"
    Them: "Oh, I can't do that, it's in storage right now....blah..."

and so on....you can figure things out if you try.
    Last edited by azshot; 06-10-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    arjay likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links