Arms List Scam
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Arms List Scam

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Arms List Scam

Our local TV news station KDKA Pittsburgh PA ran a story of 2 women posting numerous firearms and accessories on Arms List that we’re never sent to purchasers. The buyer’s money was sent to Nigeria. The 2 women had no firearms or any of the items that were advertised on Arms List. Their home in Greensburg PA was searched. The women had been using internet photos taken from other auction sites to run their scam. It was noted that the 2 women had run the same scam in 2017 and were also caught by the police. Apparently the lax punishment when caught makes running scams like this worth the risk. KDKA should have details and the names of the culprits on their website. BUYER BEWARE a when using Arms List!

Member #
    Liked
    1997 times
    I'd guess that most of the ads on Armslists are fraudulent.
    azcbpk9 likes this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    873 times
    Yea...a much bigger news story would be finding a “will ship” listing on Armslist that isn’t a scam...
    iwanna and bearcat6 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1261 times
    Yelp, i wouldn't even do a FTF with those folks.
    Vic
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    570 times
    A disgusting pit most of the time.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    FTF and ONLY then if I am comfortable after a text/email/call..
    bczadnm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I got caught in an ArmsList scam last year. We had a bank to bank transfer receipt which provided the guy's name.address & acct #. He spoke to a bank officer acknowledging receipt of the funds yet then Grand Prairie PD hasn't been able to close the case in more than 6 months. The scammer was very convincing in his communications, no rush or push and I bit. The piece in question was unusual but not rare and the negotiated price was about right but not cheap.
    colrhino likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    I am a “Premium Vendor” on Armslist. I pay $300 a year to advertise there. They checked my FFL and business to make sure I was legit. I put right on my ads to only deal with Premium Vendors. I have yet to have any trouble and have made many sales to some great people. I do get the occasional scammer on there, but after I let them know that I work with law enforcement to battle this crap, they seem to disappear rather quickly! Every site now has scammers of one type or another at some time. I think common sense really comes into play here. If it’s too good to be true it probably is. Ask the seller to put the gun on a piece of paper with the date on it, and take a picture. Very simple 30 second task. If they refuse, then stop right there.

Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    I have closed quite a few deals on Armslist.

First thing I do is ask the seller to find a FFL in his area he trusts. It must be a Brick and Mortar Store and have a website. I call and confirm the deal with the FFL. I send two checks to the FFL, one for the seller and one to pay the FFL. When the seller brings in the gun, the FFL inspects it and if it is OK, he pays the seller. They then both cash their checks and send me the gun when they clear.

I have had several scammers hang up on me when I propose this procedure. Any honsest seller loves it and complements me on my business practices. The FFL's really do not charge much and you just have to deduct the amount from what the gun is worth.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1997 times
    Why risk your money there when there are much better alternatives ? Im sure the dealers are fine there but, the majority of ads are placed by scumbags looking to scam somebody.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links