Ruger MKI from 1963. I am a sucker for these
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Ruger MKI from 1963. I am a sucker for these

Member #
    Liked
    1650 times

Ruger MKI from 1963. I am a sucker for these

I have owned many of these over the years.

I saw this at today's Taylor, TX gun show. Could not pass up.

Broke it down and cleaned her up this evening.

Heading to range this week.

Manny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ugly, PICARDIE, LEO918 and 6 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    478 times
    They really are simple perfection. Well except the field stripping, but you learn it in time.
    Congrats. Looks clean. Enjoy!
    LEO918 and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2924 times
    Nice find-I like them to. One I had belonged to old man who stood up for me when I was a wild, dufus, kid saved me from my Pop getting my hide tanned, more than once ha ha!

"Now remember you were young once to" " It will pass take a deep breath."

Never will forget him always remember him. Local GW who worked in the north then moved to our area. Took us with him to blow up beaver dams etc. some times.

A tough, honest, kind man. Funny how big of a impression a man like that- can make on a kid.
    Last edited by Ugly; 06-08-2019 at 11:55 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11639 times
    I believe that was called the "Standard" model.

This is a Mark I from 1956. Heavy tapered 6 7/8" barrel and Micro rear sight.

Ugly, JudgeColt, krag96 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1917 times
    I had a Mk-I bull barrel target model, switched it for a 6" Standard Model and haven't regretted a thing.
    Ugly and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11639 times
    Use to shoot the one shown using a pad on leather thong that went behind my neck, and a loop that went around the grip. The length was so that with my arms fully extended holding the Ruger it all stretched tight. Amazingly accurate this way for long distance .22 shooting.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    468 times
    Ruger Standard from 1958 with its original Brauer Brothers holster and warranty sales receipt. My dad purchased this Ruger new and was the first pistol I ever fired as a youngster. Fun, rugged guns to shoot and field on occasion. The stainless pistol is an 80's MKII. Recently replaced the ejector in the standard, everything else stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tgoose1; 06-10-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3937 times
    As JP points out, only the pistols with adjustable sights are called the "Mark I." As I recall, the "Mark I" was about $20 more than the "Standard." I still have my 1953 Mark I 5.25-inch "Small Number" (and its original box and papers) bought new. I am told the 5.25-inch "Small Number" Mark I pistols are scarce.

This thread makes me realize I have not shot it in at least forty years. Maybe I should as part of my Father's Day shoot.... Of course, if I take it out of the vault room, I will have to take out the KMK10, a 10-inch stainless Bull Barrel Target, which is one of my all-time favorites. I like the Bull Barrels, so I will also have take out the Liberty T512 5.5-inch Bull Barrel and the KP512C 22/45 5.5-inch Bull Barrel, the model with the Model O grip frame angle and similar configuration.

I think I have mentioned it before, but, years ago, I fell into a mass of .22 Long ammunition. The KMK10 will feed and eject the .22 Long cartridges just fine! (I haven't tried the .22 Longs in the other Ruger .22 pistols, or in any other .22 semi-automatic pistols for that matter. I just enjoyed shooting the KMK10 too much.)
    jeepnut711 and 29aholic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11639 times
    Many years ago I ran into one of the early Mark I, 5 1/2 inch barrel Rugers. I didn't remember it being advertised, and passed on a scarce pistol thinking it might have been something put together. Another collecting regret.

Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    As JP points out, only the pistols with adjustable sights are called the "Mark I." As I recall, the "Mark I" was about $20 more than the "Standard." I still have my 1953 Mark I 5.25-inch "Small Number" (and its original box and papers) bought new. I am told the 5.25-inch "Small Number" Mark I pistols are scarce.

This thread makes me realize I have not shot it in at least forty years. Maybe I should as part of my Father's Day shoot.... Of course, if I take it out of the vault room, I will have to take out the KMK10, a 10-inch stainless Bull Barrel Target, which is one of my all-time favorites. I like the Bull Barrels, so I will also have take out the Liberty T512 5.5-inch Bull Barrel and the KP512C 22/45 5.5-inch Bull Barrel, the model with the Model O grip frame angle and similar configuration.

I think I have mentioned it before, but, years ago, I fell into a mass of .22 Long ammunition. The KMK10 will feed and eject the .22 Long cartridges just fine! (I haven't tried the .22 Longs in the other Ruger .22 pistols, or in any other .22 semi-automatic pistols for that matter. I just enjoyed shooting the KMK10 too much.)
    Gary,
    Years ago I had one of the first Govt Target guns. It would actually feed and cycle 22 shorts. You couldnt put too many in the mag or the spring tension would spit them out. Maybe 4 or 5. I havent tried it with my current one.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links