Arizona Lawmen?- 1911's & SAA's 1920's?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Arizona Lawmen?- 1911's & SAA's 1920's?

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    thank you Mr. Dolan, I will be looking for your book. Ordered, will be reading tomorrow and taking to Ft. Huachuca next week.
    Last edited by Blowfo356; 10-07-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: update
    MissoulaCollector likes this.
    Ken
    So. Cal.

Member #
    Liked
    3019 times
    Look forward to it- is that the Hell Paso book?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40584621-hell-paso

Welcome to the Colt forum!

Member #
    Liked
    787 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    we do not see any Badges being worn...which may or may not mean much.
    They don't need no stinkin' badges
    Jagman64 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MissoulaCollector View Post
    Greetings,

I am the author of the 2016 nonfiction book "Cowboys and Gangsters: Stories of an Untamed Southwest." I published the first photo in this thread in that book. I received it from a descendant of Pinal County lawman C.E. Gilmer (the tall fellow in the glasses) along with some others that I also included in my book. Gilmer was the real deal and a long time Arizona peace officer. These gents are very typical of the lawmen encountered in the increasingly modernized mining districts in Arizona of the 1920s and 1930s.

Regards,

Samuel K. Dolan
    Very good. I've seen passages from your book and I'm co-author, with John Witty who is turnerriver on this forum, of the book Holstory -- Gunleather of the 20th Century that follows up on (what should have been the 19th century gunleather in) Packing Iron:

www.holstory.com

Would enjoy exchanging info on the era with you; our particular field of study focused very much on the Texas Rangers; and on Tom Threepersons -- who was neither a Texas Ranger nor was he really Tom Three Persons! Reach out to me via PM if you like :-).
    Last edited by rednichols; 10-07-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post

Found this photo surfing around- its from a photo posted by Mr Clark- thought the photo was quite interesting Looks like half of the 8 LEO's have automatics. From the 20's?
    The holsters put me in mind of Shelton-Payne Arms (at left in the image below) that was founded after Shelton put El Paso Saddlery out of business by 1902 (the current company of that name is not related to the original one). Shelton was early to building for the 1911; even earned a patent for one straightaway.

1930 wolf & klar.jpg the image is a cut from a 1930ish Wolf & Klar catalog.

Notice the wide gunbelts that were variously called 'scout belts' and 'money belts': another sort of Rangers, the Texas Rangers, stopped using these belts, and the long-barrelled SAAs, by 1910; being required to change over to concealment sets consisting of a trousers belt (worn in or out of pants loops, which were very new at that very moment) and a Brill-style holster with the shorter revolver. Which holster type was not created by Brill and was made by dozens of Texas (only) saddle makers of that era.

20 heiser 1923 (19).JPG Heiser in 1923; and surviving examples of Scout belts from Myres are rare indeed.

Which suggests, then, that the image was taken before 1910. That there are no badges was also common for the Texas Rangers, because at least one reference indicates badges were shunned as drawing unwanted attention to what were only a very few men at any one time.

1907 white is at left.png upper left is Texas Ranger Doc White; who was more than just Capt. Hughes right-hand man in the Rangers; soon after he was also Tom Threepersons partner while both were at Treasury; and then he was the man who pistol-whipped Machine Gun Kelly while working for Hoover at the BOI that later became the FBI (and was at the killing of Ma Barker).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rednichols; 10-07-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Very good. I've seen passages from your book and I'm co-author, with John Witty who is turnerriver on this forum, of the book Holstory -- Gunleather of the 20th Century that follows up on (what should have been the 19th century gunleather in) Packing Iron:

www.holstory.com

Would enjoy exchanging info on the era with you; our particular field of study focused very much on the Texas Rangers; and on Tom Threepersons -- who was neither a Texas Ranger nor was he really Tom Three Persons! Reach out to me via PM if you like :-).
    Red, you're quite right. Much misinformation has been put out on Threepersons. Even Threepersons attempted to set the record straight during a 1930s interview. In recent years, some have dismissed him altogether. That's shame as he was in a number of shootouts while both on the El Paso PD and later as a federal officer.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    Look forward to it- is that the Hell Paso book?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40584621-hell-paso

Welcome to the Colt forum!
    Correct! Funny, I had not seen it listed yet!

Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MissoulaCollector View Post
    Red, you're quite right. Much misinformation has been put out on Threepersons. Even Threepersons attempted to set the record straight during a 1930s interview. In recent years, some have dismissed him altogether. That's shame as he was in a number of shootouts while both on the El Paso PD and later as a federal officer.
    When I didn't hear back from you I held up on trading you a copy of my book with turnerriver titled Holstory, for one of yours; and went ahead and bought a used copy of your book Cowboys & Gangsters online :-). Which saved me a hundred bucks! Prior I had only the Threepersons chapter of your book via a Google search.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links