Winchester pre-64 or post-64?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Winchester pre-64 or post-64?

Member #
    Liked
    2630 times

Winchester pre-64 or post-64?

I found a 94 Winchester in .30-30 at a pawn shop. The serial number puts it as a 1964 build. Is this considered a pre or post 64 or neither?

Best,
    Charles
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1368 times
    According to this link the serial number cut off for post 64 starts with 2,700,000. Since 1963 ended with 2,586,000, they have a note that serial numbers 2,586,001 through 2,699,999 were not used.

model 94 serial numbers

Cheers

P.S. The things to look for with the post 64 models

The Frame was no longer machined, but but cast from a powdered steel alloy. Consequently the new alloy required a different chemical to blue it and it never looked quite right compared to the barrel and magazine, which were still blued using the traditional hot salts Winchester had used since before the war. The difference in the finish of the receiver and the barrel/magazine tubes is usually pretty obvious.

The butt plate was changed from checkered steel to hard molded plastic.

The loading gate and shell lifter were changed from machined steel to stamped sheet steel.

There were other minor internal changes, but one would have to disassemble the gun to see them.

Note: I should add that Winchester may have had some of the machined pre-64 components on hand at the start of 1964, which they would have continued to use until they ran out. Consequently, some of these parts might show up in early 1964 production.
    Last edited by forward_observer; 06-16-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

Member #
    Liked
    2630 times
    This one is 2,779,xxx & has the old style metal butt plate. Going back to see it again tomorrow....
    Cozmo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1368 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cda926 View Post
    This one is 2,779,xxx & has the old style metal butt plate. Going back to see it again tomorrow....
    I added a note to my original post to say that Winchester would not simply had thrown any old parts away, so any pre-64 inventory that was on hand or even later discovered to be on hand would have been used up, so there will be some carbines out there with a mix of both pre 64 and post 64 components.

Of course I'm trusting that link of serial numbers to be correct, but I see if I can come another source to verify it.

Cheers
    cda926 likes this.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

Member #
    Liked
    11568 times
    With the rifle sitting in the rack you can tell if it is pre or post 64. The pre 64 has a screw that locks the cross pin that the link pivots on, and the post 64 does not have this screw. The link is the part that pivots down when you open the lever.
    jringo8769 and cda926 like this.

JWP

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    If I'm remembering right on a pre-64 there is a screw in the bottom of the receiver on the flat piece that drops down when the lever is opened. As well as several other screws being present on the reviewer of a pre-64 that were done away with in favor of pins on a post-64. If this is incorrect hopefully somebody will straighten me out shortly.
    cda926 likes this.

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JWP View Post
    If I'm remembering right on a pre-64 there is a screw in the bottom of the receiver on the flat piece that drops down when the lever is opened. As well as several other screws being present on the reviewer of a pre-64 that were done away with in favor of pins on a post-64. If this is incorrect hopefully somebody will straighten me out shortly.
    For all the crap Winchester took over the sintered metal receivers they actually worked just fine. Their inability to take bluing was their worst weakness, not their actual strength. Winchester simply plated a lot of them instead, which is possibly one reason why so many fancied-up commemoratives celebrating everything from Sitting Bull to John Wayne were made.

Probably the worst piece was the stamped lifter, which to put it mildly was a piece of crap. The one in my dad's 1967 Canadian Centennial commemorate (there we go with commemoratives again) gave lots of issues until finally he had a gunsmith install a newer cast steel one instead. I have a 1977 Wells Fargo commemorative (see a trend here?) with the cast lifter and it works perfectly fine.
    forward_observer and cda926 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cda926 View Post
    I found a 94 Winchester in .30-30 at a pawn shop. The serial number puts it as a 1964 build. Is this considered a pre or post 64 or neither?

Best,
    Charles
    Keep looking if you want a "PRE-64". The steel butt plate is not an indicator. The serial number is.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    11568 times
    Winchester even iron plated some of the receivers trying to get a decent blue finish on them, and unless they have changed something they cannot be reblued by your local gun shop.
    cda926 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2630 times
    I have some pre 64 Winchester lever guns including a 94 from 1960.

The one is interesting because it strikes me a being a “transition” gun for want of a better term. I also expect to get it for somewhere in the $300 neighborhood.

Even with some finish challenges, that may sway me to bring it home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links