Colt Forum banner

Another old Winchester

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  jimmac 
#1 ·
I got this 1892 Winchester SRC .44 cal. many years ago, serial number looks to be 52772, not sure about the last number 2, I know it's ugly and looks like it's been left out in the rain to many times.The action feels like new, the bore is well used, it looks like it has not been fired in the last hundred years, I just leave it on my computer desk top with another well used Colt SAA .45.
I guess that's all guns like this are good for any more. not a relic yet, but maybe a good wall hanger.
Any one else have any interesting old guns they use for wall hangers only ?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
It looks like it is still useable to me. Here is my old 1892 with SN 31.
View attachment 640697
Wow, serial number 31. I've not seen an earlier model 1892. Pretty interesting configuration carbine with the half magazine (button mag). Did you ever get a letter on it? I'd be anxious to see if that is how it left Winchester.

#23 · (Edited)
I think I have shown this one before. It is a very unique Winchester Model 1890. Several things to point out, the stock has an inch and a half drop, ordnance bomb on the receiver, and is US marked. While walking through one of the Louisville shows, I saw a group of guys gathered around a table looking and passing this Model 1890 around. Naturally I was curious, because I could see it was not a normal looking '90. Went over and stood close listening to their opinions. Consensus of the group, it was a fake made up piece. Figured one of them would buy it because the price seemed reasonable even if a made up gun. Went back by the table later and asked the dealer if it sold. He said no. It was under the table because he was tired of everyone picking it apart. Figured for what it cost I couldn't get hurt. Made it home and contacted Springfield Research. It was a Springfield hit. Ordered by the US Military. So the ordnance bomb and the US stamp were real. Don't know about the stock. Just guessing it was a special order from Winchester. The wood to metal fit is perfect. In the last picture you can see the curvature of the stock. The drop was built into the stock. The angle of the tang is standard and not altered.

#26 · (Edited)
Love seeing these. Always love 92s, and other Winchesters.

Old Winchesters live here. Here's an 1896 vintage saddle-ring-carbine .32-20 that I've dearly loved for years. Edited to add: Sorry about the crooked photograph. Photobucket spontaneously turned this one photograph awhile back after hosting it for years and nothing I can do will correct it.

#28 ·
I'll add my 2. the 1894 is made in 1909, oddball 16 inch saddlering carbine in 30 wcf. it's got the wrong stock on it but it's going to stay. it seems to function fine, just have t shot it yet. funny story, I was leaving the swap meet and a guy was bringing this in to put on his table for sale. he picked it up in tombstone the day before at a yard sale. they tore down a house and it was found in a wall. cool story, adds zero value to it. the 1890 .22wrf was at the pawn shop for awhile, turns out it's also made in 1909 so I had to buy it to keep the 94 company. jim

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.