Standard BP frame specs?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Standard BP frame specs?

Member #
    Liked
    2565 times
    Yes Sir- Single Action Revolver.

Some folks say the only Single Action Army is Colts.

Just meant the Standard version of the Colt pattern single action revolver.
    Last edited by Ugly; 07-01-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    182 times
    This is what the new .44WCF looks like with the cross pin. I have not shot it yet. I did ask for an etched panel. No luck.

44.JPG 44WCF.JPG
    Ugly, Cozmo, Garret44CAL and 1 others like this.
    The difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector is the taxidermist only takes your skin.

Member #
    Liked
    14105 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_T
    Those two 44s don't look too bad at all. (smile)
    Yes Sir! 45's didn't hold a lot of interest for me but for some reason both versions of frame (BP and cross pin) in 44 do.

Thanks Shorty! Nice gun! Let us know how it shoots!!!?
    shortyshvac likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14105 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly
    ...Some folks say the only Single Action Army is Colts....
    I gotcha and thank you. Some folks is mistaken Think how silly it is to say every 1911 is a "single action semi auto" pistol, instead of what it actually is, a 1911 pattern pistol. If you wanted to be precise only the 7.5" 45 cal. Colt Single Action is a SAA revolver and then only the ones built for the US Army would qualify. But the model was built almost from the get go (1876 anyway with the 44-40) in a number of different calibers...all on the original design approved by the US Army....so we have the SAA which included the "Frontier Six Shooter" and every other caliber Colt made in that model of revolver. My 1980's Colt is roll marked "Single Action Army 44 Special". So even Colt knows they are all "SAA model" guns Think what would have happened if Gen. Patton had carried a "SAA .357" instead of a S&W Registered Magnum 357 and a Colt .45 SAA.??!!! They didn't roll mark the SAA with anything but caliber back in the day and a 4 /34" Colt .45 isn't a "real" SAA any more than a current Standard or Uberti is. But they are all SAA pistols.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 07-01-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Ugly likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Thanks, Dane, for finding all of this out. I spoke with Shane on Friday and he told me the about the first run of BP frames being sold out, and that I could get on the list if I paid a full price deposit. I kicked myself all weekend for not asking him if they were built to Colt size specs. In Brian Pearce's article he said that they were planning on making the smaller, Colt size cylinders and frames. Also nice to know that you can put less down if you order more than one gun. I was VERY bummed to learn they aren't doing the acid etching on the barrels. Now, I don't know what to do lol. I am very tempted to place an order for two BP frame guns, but if there is any chance they will do acid etched barrels in the future I would rather wait. I also like the idea of the Colt sized barrels and cylinders.

Dane, I know you have a lot of experience with Colts and USFA. Is the difference between the Uberti spec USFAs and the Colt Spec USFAs noticeable? Besides cylinder strength and interchangeable parts with original Colts, is their an advantage to one or the other? Did Shane seem to think it was likely they would do an acid etched barrel for .44-40 at some point? After I saw the "EL Chingon" I thought they were going to do one for sure. That, and the fact that the first one actually had "Frontier Six Shooter" acid etched on the barrel.
    "He raised quickly his pistol--a self-cocker-- within a foot of my breast. Retreating rapidly across the room, he cried, "Quien es? Quien es?" All this occurred more rapidly than it takes to tell it. As quick as possible I drew my revolver and fired, threw my body to one side, and fired again. The second shot was useless. The Kid fell dead at the first one." ~ Pat Garrett 1882

Member #
    Liked
    14105 times
    Don't feel bad I missed asking a few questions myself

Sounds like they will eventually build Colt sized guns. But not soon or a big deal to them. I think they are surprised just how many guns they are selling now and continue to get behind on orders even for the smokeless frames. The bigger frames (Uberti size) don't feel all that much different side by side to a Colt. Some but not enough to worry about or bother.

With 4 or 5 month wait right now on BP frames that could easily be 6 months, I suspect things will change.

If I had the cash handy I'd order two guns built with spare cylinders for 44 Special (or fitted 38 Special cylinders I could rechamber) and hope for a etched barrel in the 4 to 6 month "future".

Bottom line? With Colt jumping to the mindless $3450. it is nice to have a dependable option.
    Garret44CAL and Ugly like this.

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoody View Post
    Thank you shooter214 for deleting your comment.

I just wish I could find one thread that talks about the positive aspects of the Standard single actions.
    People seemed to only be interested in the frame size.

Member #
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter214 View Post
    I just wish I could find one thread that talks about the positive aspects of the Standard single actions.
    I can tell you the action is as smooth as butter and the cylinder locks up as tight as can be. Extremely nice guns.
    Garret44CAL, Cozmo, Ugly and 1 others like this.
    The difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector is the taxidermist only takes your skin.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    One other interesting thing that I heard when talking with Standard: I asked if I could order the BP frame guns with their faux ivory grips, and he said that he would say yes, but, they only have a limited supply. They bought all of the leftover faux ivory from USFA when they closed their doors.
    Cozmo likes this.
    "He raised quickly his pistol--a self-cocker-- within a foot of my breast. Retreating rapidly across the room, he cried, "Quien es? Quien es?" All this occurred more rapidly than it takes to tell it. As quick as possible I drew my revolver and fired, threw my body to one side, and fired again. The second shot was useless. The Kid fell dead at the first one." ~ Pat Garrett 1882

Member #
    Liked
    14105 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter214
    I had a Standard 45 for a short while. Nice gun but I also have a number of other brands, USFA, Uberti and 3 generations of Colt in particular. I didn't think it was worth the retail price at the time. @ the $2000+ price point there are a LOT of exceptionally high quality SAA guns available. I'd likely have thought more of it if it were the only SAA I owned and shot.

I'm like many of us, the Colt size frames hold great interest. Doesn't make them better or worse just what they are.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 07-01-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links