When will people understand???????
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: When will people understand???????

Member #
    Liked
    359 times
    nos·tal·gia
    /näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
    noun
    a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

I remember my dad telling me that when automatic transmissions came out he couldn’t understand why anyone would want a stick shift. When I got my first car I couldn’t wait to get that stick shift. Better is really only a perception in most cases.
    The later smokeless 1st gens where/are better - in my opinion.
    29aholic likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1094 times
    I have enjoyed the "Nostalgia" that my opening post has created. However, the point that I was trying to make is that no matter if Custer himself carried the SAA you own or if it is a Herritage Arms (Yes they also make SAA clones) enjoy it because life is short and you are blessed to be an American.
    Last edited by scstrain; 07-08-2019 at 06:25 AM.
    lboos, Crowndog, Cozmo and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I think it´s not just nostalgia that brings us close to past things. When I look to the innards of my 1956 Woodsman MT or my 1947 Hi-Standard HD Mlitary or S&W1917, it´s easy to understand why we probably will never see them again in brand new condition. We marvel at what those guys did then- by hand.
    Regards, Raimundo

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3906 times
    scstrain - one could argue the same logic when discussing the 1911, 1911A1, and all the rest of the guns made in the image of the two models; the 1911 then replaced by the 1911A1.

Here's my 1962 manufactured .357 Magnum Colt Single Action Army:

It won't win any beauty prizes; an ugly turn ring among other cosmetic issues yet it is my Colt Single Action Army. Is it a 1st Generation US marked Nettleton inspected gun? No it isn't but it is a genuine Colt Single Action Army and is chambered in .357 Magnum/.38 Special. Where has it been since it was made? I don't know; I do know very little information about it; I bought it from a gun shop in Las Vegas, NV about 6 years ago and on the left grip frame is the name.

Bottom line however - it's mine and according to Colt, its a Single Action Army Revolver. If its the name Colt gave it then that's why it is - and I won't lose any sleep over it!
    lboos, Ginge, Colt75 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8904 times
    I started out with a ruger single six. I likly shot it more than all my other handguns put together ever since. Habits are hard to break. I had to qualify for my job for 35 years and those times are about the only times I shot DA. Most my shooting is still SA with my DA`s.
    I believe with the exception of fast reloading and pocket carry guns a single action is still as effective for defense as a double action. Whats the odds of a civilian needing more than five rounds in a home invasion or elsewhere gunfight? I would like to see some real statistics on that!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1094 times
    Mr. feralmerril, I am happy that these pistols bring you joy. That is all that matters. That is my point. Nobody has to try and outdo anyone else. One mans trash can be another mans treasure.

Member #
    Liked
    3883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimundo View Post
    I think it´s not just nostalgia that brings us close to past things. When I look to the innards of my 1956 Woodsman MT or my 1947 Hi-Standard HD Mlitary or S&W1917, it´s easy to understand why we probably will never see them again in brand new condition. We marvel at what those guys did then- by hand.
    Regards, Raimundo
    I think quality and pride of work is part of the nostalgia. Back in the day you just pulled up at the pump, and a guy came running out to fill your car. He also cleaned your windshield, checked your oil, washer fluid, wipers, tires etc while the pump was running. Nowadays you'll be happy if they remembered to put paper in the pump so you can get a receipt. Same thing goes for pretty much anything, it's very difficult to find old fashioned quality in merchandise and services.

On the flip side: Cheap imported goods has become the norm nowadays, so nobody wants to pay for quality anyway. Why pay $1000 for a truly good item when you can buy "the same thing" at Walmart for $99? And why pay a good plumber $80/hour when your local do-it-all can "fix you right up" for $40? In my opinion, we only have ourselves to blame for this. If nobody wants to pay for quality, nobody will bother to provide it.
    22_Matt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    4044 times
    Me thinks that in regarding today's quality we have a misperception. The quality of today's firearms is probably the best they ever were, better steel alloys, stainless, and even yes polymer.
    Granted we do not get a Colt Government Model with a mirror like finish, fine tuned revolvers like an Officers Model or Python anymore without paying a premium.
    In some ways old school quality is also a misperception. We have a couple of 1903 Pocket Hammer Colt's and some of the insides seem a bit rough, fitting is good no better then anything contemporary imo, but the old bluing certainly surpasses any or most bluing today.

As for 1st Generation Colt Single Action Army Revolvers being the only true S.A.A I think I'd disagree. While a 1st gen. is probably more desirable from a collectors standpoint, or even a historical one, these Colt's are getting too valuable to be utilized as a shooter, although I'm sure the ones made from the early 1900's to WWII are okay for that. For my money I'd be more inclined to get a 2nd Generation Colt over the Standard.

Ruger makes what most people can afford, as do the Italians. I do agree with some of the short cuts made especially with the Italian guns, most of which are superficial but annoying. The soft screws were mentioned and as I've had a couple of these Uberti's SA apart the screws aren't that bad, but could be better.

America has become a "just replace it" society. Had a refrigerator go bad and I had an AC guy from work look at it. He was from Columbia and told me I needed a new one, that to replace the compressor wasn't worth it, but in his country they'd fix it.
    1911Collector likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    359 times
    Not be misunderstood I am a very nostalgic person. Borderline hoarder. I am disappointed that the kids have no such feelings. Offered glassware, dishes and antiques of value now they have no interest. It’s just old stuff. I love the old stuff and the memories they hold secret. If only they could talk.
    Chaffee, lboos, 22_Matt and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scstrain
    ….(what ever it is) enjoy it because life is short and you are blessed to be an American.

some real truth there.
    DeaconKC likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links