2 more winchesters in the safe. A M71 and a SG 257
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 2 more winchesters in the safe. A M71 and a SG 257

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times

2 more winchesters in the safe. A M71 and a SG 257

I have a model 71 that was made in I believe 1937. It belonged to a friend of mine's grandfather who was a retired colonel in the air force. Back in the 30s he decided he was tired of breathing dust and sweating and that he wanted to see mountains. So at the ripe old age of 21 he sold his horse and just about everything else he owned and moved to Alaska for 4 years (his wife claimed it was because he was mad when she turned down his first marriage proposal). Anyway he purchased this rifle new while there, kept it while he lived there, and then after Pearl Harbor he sold it to a hunting guide friend of his and came back home to enlist.

During the 50s he was stationed in Alaska and had the opportunity to buy the gun back from the friend he sold it to and kept it.

He was a really neat gentleman. He served a couple of stints as a pilot at Jump school in his career and was awarded a medal for getting all the paratroopers and crew off the plane when the engines blew out right after take off.

Anyway, I'll get some pics of it and post them. It has some really nice wood that he said it came factory with and an original bolt sight. When his friend owned it he mounted a scope on it so it has the extra holes, he didn't keep the scope on it, but it looks nice.

I had read that people complained about the M71 having bad recoil, but I fired off a bunch of em at some hogs I scared in the pasture this morning. Dropped a couple of em. I find the recoil is softer than a 30-06 to me. I have read that some people like using 180 or 220 grain bullets in their loads with it. Not sure if they are casting their own for that or not. I will definitely have to get dies to reload as these guys are pricey to buy. But I really like this rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times
    An old refinished supergrade 257. It's not perfect and it is a definite shooter, but the price was agreeable. I have wanted a supergrade 257 but never at the prices they required. This one though limited in any collector value was quite affordable and is all in all a decently done refinish. It has the wood repair where there used to be a side scope mount and the holes in the action are repaired where the mount was mounted.

Member #
    Liked
    4038 times
    Nice. Hornady makes 348 bullets as does Barnes.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11278 times
    Two nice finds. The Model 71 is a thumper on both ends. You find a lot of them with recoil pads added. The bolt peep is nice.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9153 times
    I have a 71 delux made in '39 but not as nice as yours. Mine also has the bolt peep which I like better than the other mount.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    Two nice finds. The Model 71 is a thumper on both ends. You find a lot of them with recoil pads added. The bolt peep is nice.
    Yeah I have read that a lot, but it doesn't seem any worse than a 30-06 and I find it way more mild than a 375 H&H

Member #
    Liked
    4038 times
    We had an early Model 71 that had been neglected and reblued, it was a carbine. I chrono'ed it and the ballistics out of the short barrel was not very impressive.
    We now have a Japanese Winchester Model 71, not as nice or nostalgic as an original but about 1/3 the price.

One of the most brutal rounds to shoot imo is a 30-06 with the 220 grain bullet. My 300 Remington Ultra Mag was stout. The 348 is more like a big push and not sharpe like the 06, or 300 mags.

The Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage will rattle your insides when fired, the .35 Remington not so bad.
    Last edited by kenhwind; 07-18-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21704 times
    A Winchester SG M-70 is pretty hard to find. Do you have pictures of the repairs?

Member #
    Liked
    1531 times
    I've never priced the new production winchesters. I know the browning ones run about the same price as a decent original 71. This one ran me about 1300.

As for the repair on the supergrade, it's a bit hard to see but you should be able to make out the wood repair and where the holes were filled. Whoever did it di nice work.

Member #
    Liked
    11278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
    Yeah I have read that a lot, but it doesn't seem any worse than a 30-06 and I find it way more mild than a 375 H&H
    There are endless comparisons to other calibers, but still the hardest kicking lever action I have fired, especially with the 250 grain loading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links