• 1 Post By MarkInTx

Thread: Burgess shotgun rare & interesting

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5690 times

Burgess shotgun rare & interesting

Not sure if I have shown this is the past. If so, sorry about the double post. I purchased this Burgess shotgun in Shawnee, Ok at the INDIAN TERRITORY ANTIQUE & COLLECTOR ARMS SHOW. It was brought in by a gentleman walking the show. Found out later he had contacted the show promotors and wanted to sell the shotgun to them prior to the show. They encouraged him to come to their show and give one of the dealers a chance to purchase the shotgun. This speaks volumes about how these guys operate. They have tables located as far away from the front door as possible. By the way their show is coming up August 10 & 11 at the Heart of Oklahoma Expo Center.
    I bought this Burgess shotgun because I have never had one. In fact, I don't remember seeing one either. These were produced for a short time. Total production of the shotgun, folding shotgun, and rifle is only a few thousand. Winchester bought our Burgess in 1899. The action is very unique. Burgess came up with a pump which would not infringe on other patents. The grip area is the slide, not the forearm. There is a slide release on the forward area of the trigger guard. You push the release forward with your shooting finger while pulling the pistol grip slide to the rear. Just like the standard pump shotgun, when you pull the slide rearward a shell is extracted. When you push the slide forward a new shell is chambered.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

Member #
    Liked
    1857 times
    Interesting they certainly are! I'm not so sure of the handling quality, but like driving a Model T I suppose you could get used to it. 2.5" chamber?

Member #
    Liked
    472 times
    Very interesting. Thanks for the great pictures
    Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents
    Oh My!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2998 times
    Very nice ... I have always wanted to add one to my collection but have not found the right one yet. Thanks for sharing it with us here.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    1462 times
    Nice example of a rare and very interesting gun!
    Kal collector likes this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2140 times
    Good stuff! Thanks for the thread and photographs! They're really nice.

Shotgun is too. I always liked the appearance of these. I remember seeing a few at large gun shows in the 1970s. Your photographs jog my memory.

Member #
    Liked
    1605 times
    I like it. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1311 times
    I never knew much about this maker. Thanks for the photos and great description/history.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links