Colt Forum banner

Churchill's pistols

5K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  old tanker 
#1 ·
Some history for anyone interested,

Just got back from London where I made a visit to the Churchill War Rooms. You could spend a day in there as there's so much Churchilll history on display. But in my perusing a couple pistols caught my eye so I took these photos so my various forum members could see them.
The first pistol is indicated by the card but the second one didn't say what it was. Perhaps all you knowledgeable folk out there will know what it is. Enjoy.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Text Technology Font Electronics Electronic device

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Air gun

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The 2nd revolver is a pinfire, and that's about all I know about it. The point that should be made is that Winston Churchill (1874-1965) may not have used this gun, as the pinfire system should have been obsolete by the 1890's. There were so many other better choices.

I know that Churchill used a broomhandle Mauser at one time, as written up in an American Rifleman article years ago.

Maybe Churchill was an antique gun collector?

Reactions: Kurusu
#6 ·
OK, drawing on the hazy memory here. I believe I remember that the pin fire revolver was an example of a revolver that was loaned to Churchill. Perhaps when he was escaping from the Boers who had captured him. It's been a few years since I was there. The War Rooms were the highlight of a visit to London, and yes, I could have easily spent a day wandering around in them.

#30 ·
...Churchill was a big fan of the Colt 1911, within 100 yards up against Winny- you were a dead man, according to Churchill's body guard...

Someone doubted him, he then repeated "A very bloody dead man"
If you adjust the sights on a 1911 on a 25 yard rapid fire target to shoot center with a 6 o'clock hold with GI hardball it will pretty much shoot to center on the 50 yard slow fire by holding at the bottom center of the target. It will shoot to point of aim at 100. At 19 inches wide and 40 inches tall an Army E-type Silhouette should be hit pretty consistently. Most of the misses will be in deflection. Skeptics should give it a try sometime.

Attachments

#11 ·
The pinfire revolver did use a cartridge, but instead of having the primer in the base of the case a pin protruded out of the base of the side of the case at a 90 degree angle. The hammer came down on the pin, driving it into the primer mixture in the case. If you notice the cylinder has notches cut in the back for the pin to stick through.

#18 ·
#15 ·
All of Churchill's pistols that I've been able to document, with sources:

1. “Winston S. Churchill, Marksman,” Bill R. Davidson, The American Rifleman, December, 1971.
  2. “A Churchill Engraved Mauser Rides Again,” Gerry Ford, Gun Report, April, 1972.
  3. “A Question of Provenance?,” Major Richard J. Keogh, Arms Gazette, December, 1976.
  4. “A Question of Provenance!,” G.D. Llewellyn, Arms Gazette, December, 1976.
  5. “Lt. Churchill’s First Pistol,” Major Richard J. Keogh, Arms Gazette, January, 1979.
  6. “The Churchill Colts,” Major Richard J. Keogh, Arms Gazette, April, 1979.
  7. “The Churchill Mauser-A Rebuttal,” Don Thomas, AutoMag, ?, 1987.
  8. “Churchill’s Guns,” Guns Review, May, 1988.
  9. The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol, R. Blake Stevens, 2014.

Pistol
SN
Comments
Source
Webley Model 1909, 9mm
Cased, Inscribed “W.S.C. from J.M.B. 1911”
8, with pictures
Wilkinson-Webley 1892, .455
“W.L. Spencer-Churchill, 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars” on case
5, with pictures
Colt Government Model, .45
C15566
“Winston Spencer Churchill” on left slide
6, with pictures
Colt Commander, .45
28131-LW
“Presented to RT HON WINSTON CHURCHILL”
6, with pictures
Mauser 1896, .30 Mauser
“W.L.S. Churchill” on magazine, spurious
1, 2, 3, 4, 7
FN High Power
A13709
“W.S.C.” gold inlay on top
9, pp. 156-7

#20 ·
Major Geoffrey Boothroyd was the name Ian Fleming gave the character "Q" in his James Bond novels..."Q" for Quartermaster.

Reactions: ei8ht
#23 ·
Churchill also had a Patchet SMG and a couple of rifles he was presented with which were I think a Garand and an M1 carbine.
They were sold through Weller & Dufty a firearms auction house in the U.K., in the 1980's.
Surprisingly they did not attract huge amounts of money. I am sure it would be different if they were put up for auction now.
At about the same time I bought a different Patchet myself serial number 29 for 400 Pounds.

Regards
AlanD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.