Michigan Gun Law Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Michigan Gun Law Question

Member #
    Liked
    452 times

Michigan Gun Law Question

A friend in Michigan inherited some guns and wants to give me a Colt revolver. I live in Indiana and have an FFL, plus a lifetime carry permit. Can this person gift me this handgun or is there a process that must br followed? Any Michiganders out there have an answer?
    ei8ht likes this.
    William Bell (LaVista Bill) LEO - Gun Writer - NRA Life Member -
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot. –Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    what type of FFL are you?

as per federal law, interstate transfers require that handguns be sent only to FFLs in the State of the recipient. As long as you are an 01 or an 07 FFL in Indiana, there should not be be any restriction for him to send the gun to you as an FFL via FedEx or UPS (in other words, not USPS). You enter the gun into your book twice. Once coming in and the second time out to you.

If you are an FFL, how do you not know this?

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    If only you and him knows then who cares
    Road Rat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asevans View Post
    I live in MI and all handgun transfers / sales in MI are registered either through a FFL or a purchase permit between the seller and purchaser. That purchase permit must be handed in to the city / county police / sheriff department. I would not want to simply “send” a gun without the proper paperwork or the gun will always remain in my name.

Member #
    Liked
    3998 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asevans View Post

You should consider that what you are suggesting is a federal felony. With advice like that you may not last long on firearms related discussion forums.

You must use an FFL Dealer to FFL Dealer when transferring ownership of a firearm from one state to another.

Member #
    Liked
    6251 times
    To the OP, you are licensed by the federal government to deal in firearms. You better figure out the laws you are abiding by, and not ask strangers on the internet.
    kenhwind, Kerz, Rigby and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWO4USCGRET View Post
    You should consider that what you are suggesting is a federal felony. With advice like that you may not last long on firearms related discussion forums.

You must use an FFL Dealer to FFL Dealer when transferring ownership of a firearm from one state to another.
    quite wrong. Federal law allows everything except that which is specifically disallowed and 27 CFR 478.30 prohibits any non-licensee (i.e., a non-ffl) from transferring a gun across State lines to any other non-licensee. If the person in the other State is a licensee, then this prohibition does not apply. There is no FFL to FFL requirement in federal law for an interstate gun transfer. Some states (like Kali, eg), require an FFL on the shipping end but Michigan does not. As long as the end recipient is the right kind of FFL, then the Michigan resident can ship using a contract carrier.

The ATF says as much in its FAQ section

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...ntract-carrier
    Last edited by Max_Power; 07-28-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    Colt-SL, Rick, CHIZ and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    I'm not from Michigan but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once . You never did say how you are getting this pistol in your mitts . I'd make a weekend of it , drive up , a BS and thank you , just to get out and do something . That way the pistol is a gift and is yours , no big deal . You're good keeping firearms in the trunk unloaded driving crossed U.S. unless they have check points and you have to show papers sense I've been south ( we'll see , come grand kids adult time). Shipping hand guns should be FFL to FFL for state to state , shot gun and long gun can be owner to FFL , no big deal , I have to do that every time from Gunbroker to Alaska often. Good luck man . As far as advice off strangers , some of the most up front advice I have gotten was from people I just met.
    Last edited by Some guy; 07-28-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    I'm not from Michigan but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once . You never did say how you are getting this pistol in your mitts . I'd make a weekend of it , drive up , a BS and thank you , just to get out and do something . That way the pistol is a gift and is yours , no big deal . You're good keeping firearms in the trunk unloaded driving crossed U.S. unless they have check points and you have to show papers sense I've been south ( we'll see , come grand kids adult time). Shipping hand guns should be FFL to FFL for state to state , no big deal , I have to do that every time from Gunbroker to Alaska often. Good luck man . As far as advice off strangers , some of the most up front advice I have gotten was from people I just met.
    As I posted earlier, MI requires handgun registration. Unless the Colt was never registered, any transaction without a purchase permit means the gun stays in the MI resident’s name. I would not want a handgun in another state in my name... I don’t look good in orange...

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Part of the process understood, twice . The way the courts work now , I'd think you have to do a little more to wear orange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links