Just received an unopened can of Sperm Whale Oil in a Brownells yellow can. Still sea
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Just received an unopened can of Sperm Whale Oil in a Brownells yellow can. Still sea

Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    I hear it's a Hell of a laxative!
    Crowndog likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Combat Cmdr .45, Spec. Combat Govt. .45, Det. Spec. .38, 6" Python .357 x2, Agent .38, Army Specials in .32-20, .38 Spc., & .41 LC, Police Positive Spec. .32-20, LE-6920MP

Member #
    Liked
    8741 times
    There was a later version packaged in a plastic bottle that had a whale hunting scene on it. Guys with harpoons, harpoons stickin' out of the doomed whale, boats, the whole smash.
    Completely un-PC.
    ei8ht and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    360 times

Just received an unopened can of Sperm Whale Oil in a Brownells yellow can. Still sea

All funny responses. Thank you for the replies serious or not. I’m soooo curious to see if it lights up my CC guns.

But can’t stand the smell of rotten fish!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    445 times
    I have to note I don't see any reference to "whale" on the can.
    Crowndog likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    360 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bczadnm View Post
    I have to note I don't see any reference to "whale" on the can.
    Makes you wonder how they got that whale to get it all in the can.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    Clock and watch makers valued sperm oil because it never thickened or got gummy. There is no substitute that works as well. I know someone still has part of a Army issue can from the Twenties. It's still clear and good.
    DeaconKC, Crowndog and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1605 times
    This is fairly random but I got a call from an old friend cleaning out his grandfather's house and among the odds and ends relating to gun stuff he is giving me is a can of brownells sperm oil. No idea of the condition but it sounds cool!
    Crowndog and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowndog View Post
    All funny responses. Thank you for the replies serious or not. I’m soooo curious to see if it lights up my CC guns...
    All joking aside, if I had that can of whale oil, I would NOT open it, or plan to use it.

A century or so ago, sperm whale oil was the best lubricant in the world for many applications. Today, we have far superior options. That can of oil has far more value as a collectible/shelf decoration/conversation piece than it does as a lubricant. Look at all the entertaining conversation it's drummed up already!
    Regards,
    Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Combat Cmdr .45, Spec. Combat Govt. .45, Det. Spec. .38, 6" Python .357 x2, Agent .38, Army Specials in .32-20, .38 Spc., & .41 LC, Police Positive Spec. .32-20, LE-6920MP

Member #
    Liked
    10010 times
    ^^ My Thoughts Exactly ^^

Kilowatt3 likes this.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7894 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old tanker View Post
    Clock and watch makers valued sperm oil because it never thickened or got gummy. There is no substitute that works as well. I know someone still has part of a Army issue can from the Twenties. It's still clear and good.
    I was a watchmaker, clockmaker, and gunsmith.

Modern synthetic lubricants have far outstripped natural sperm or fish oils for lubrication.
    As example, Rolex uses 5 different lubricants in different places in their watches, all synthetic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links