A little larger than your common Colt
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: A little larger than your common Colt

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Thank you - that's a beautiful piece, and you did a fantastic restoration of it. Can you tell us something about who made it, when, what it's for? I imagine it has a very interesting history...
    Pappy1600 and WVCOLT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3946 times
    Nice! How many gallons of elbow grease did it take to polish it?

And what is that "butt stock" attachment? I assume you can't take it off the stand and fire it from the shoulder, so it must serve another purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    1069 times
    From the research I gathered and speaking with a old timer that collects these salute cannons, this one was made by Naval Co. They produced salute cannons and line throwing cannon's and they are still in business today producing line guns, this one is circa late 1800's with out the data plate we are unsure if this one was made in NY or was made in Philadelphia after the owner relocated in the late 1800's , they were used on ships to announce arrival as well as being used on land, the design is a copy of the Hotchkiss Rapid Fire Cannon of the period hence the stock, the stock really doesn't have a purpose other than being used to rotate the cannon and for replicating Hotchkiss design. What's nice about it is that it's not a destructive device and does not need to be registered, only a big noise maker. I am happy, well thrilled, to be it's next caretaker until my time comes. It's a honor to me to own a piece as this that belonged to my friend, I am having a brass plaque made up that will honor him and attach it to the wooden base.
    Kurusu, MarkInTx, WVCOLT and 7 others like this.
    " No Man Is Entitled To The Blessings Of Freedom Unless He Be Vigilant In It's Preservation"
    -General Douglas MacArthur-

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1440 times
    Great post, great piece, and a great way to honour your friend.
    Pappy1600, WVCOLT and skwcoltguy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1069 times
    Pretty much completed, added the base and found some brass wood screws, I just moved it into the living room, I am sure when the wife see's it she will lose her mind! and it will need a new spot.

" No Man Is Entitled To The Blessings Of Freedom Unless He Be Vigilant In It's Preservation"
    -General Douglas MacArthur-

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy1600 View Post
    Pretty much completed, added the base and found some brass wood screws, I just moved it into the living room, I am sure when the wife see's it she will lose her mind! and it will need a new spot.

I think it matches your living room decor nicely, your wife should be pleased. My wife was PO'D one time when I parked my motorcycle inside. She said the colors clashed. Really nice work

Member #
    Liked
    3946 times
    Yep, the polished brass compliments the curtains quite nicely. Your wife will be very happy to see that you're a talented home decorator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    3511 times
    From the research I gathered and speaking with a old timer that collects these salute cannons, this one was made by Naval Co. They produced salute cannons and line throwing cannon's and they are still in business today producing line guns, this one is circa late 1800's with out the data plate we are unsure if this one was made in NY or was made in Philadelphia after the owner relocated in the late 1800's , they were used on ships to announce arrival as well as being used on land, the design is a copy of the Hotchkiss Rapid Fire Cannon of the period hence the stock, the stock really doesn't have a purpose other than being used to rotate the cannon and for replicating Hotchkiss design. What's nice about it is that it's not a destructive device and does not need to be registered, only a big noise maker. I am happy, well thrilled, to be it's next caretaker until my time comes. It's a honor to me to own a piece as this that belonged to my friend, I am having a brass plaque made up that will honor him and attach it to the wooden base.
    Our "school ship" Sagres has a pair of very similar guns on the fo'c'sle.
    Pappy1600, WVCOLT and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    It's a 3 ga. , 37mm empty case fits perfect in the breech, and cases are readily available, should be a blast to fire.

3 Gauge...Wow!

I hope you can post us a Video sometime of firing it..!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3024 times
    Wow... What a cannon and what a great job you did in bringing it back to life. Great photos through the progress. A big " THANK YOU " for sharing it with us all here. I love these type of things.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links